Disco pants... A do or a don't?!!

(26 Posts)
Ashollie Fri 12-Apr-13 17:16:30

I am so undecided about the disco pant trend! Apparently they really suck you in which is always a bonus! Iv still got a sticky out lower tummy area and was wondering if anyone has ever tried a pair on and if they would recommend or not! X

I think they look like you have forgotten your skirt, personally.

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 12-Apr-13 17:20:16

I think this one very much depends on your age and body and I don't normally say that.

Coffeenowplease Fri 12-Apr-13 17:21:04

Not unless you are/look under 25.

Ashollie Fri 12-Apr-13 17:23:35
BackforGood Fri 12-Apr-13 17:26:46

Linky please?

have no idea what disco pants are

BackforGood Fri 12-Apr-13 17:27:02

gah ! cross post again!

BackforGood Fri 12-Apr-13 17:28:21

Ah.

IMO - NO!!!!

My 17yr old,, skinny as a sparrow niece has some, and even she looks a bit uncomfortable, tbh, and I've never met anyone as all round petite as her!

YoniLovesChachi Fri 12-Apr-13 17:29:50

Will you be wearing them in a discotheque?

CareerGirl01 Fri 12-Apr-13 18:39:27

Just before I got pregnant I bought the AA black ones. Wore them with a long black t shirt and wedge heels - I got loads of com

CareerGirl01 Fri 12-Apr-13 18:41:12

pliments... I'm 42. Now 36 weeks pregnant and I intend to wear them again. Wore my hair and make up quite neutral. Wish I'd taken a pic.
Think it was my attitude that pulled it off.

CareerGirl01 Fri 12-Apr-13 18:42:20

And I did wear them to a hen do disco. I'm a size 10 but not super slim btw.

I agree with Mrs CB. I think that they can be flattering but for me it would probably be less Olivia NJ and more Liz MacDonald.

MsWinnieBaygo Fri 12-Apr-13 19:57:47

I think if you wore them with a top that covered your arse and stomach (even if you have a good arse) - you could get away with it. A short top or a top tucked in is probably best left to the hipsters and 16 year olds

Good God, no. They look awful even on slim young things.

hedgefund Fri 12-Apr-13 20:19:18

i would but (probably only at night though) American apparel now do a disco skirt

monkeysmama Fri 12-Apr-13 20:22:05

They're really unflattering and uncomfortable on imo. I love the idea but the high waist accentuates every bump. I tried some American Apparel ones at the same time as my 14yo sister. She's a waif size 6 and looked bigger and said they itched. I gave up.

50ShadesOfMaybe Sat 13-Apr-13 07:33:24

I have 2 pairs (one black, one a dark red). And I'm the wrong side of 40!

Was not initially convinced, but tried them on in American Apparel and was amazed by how good they looked. Lots of compliments.

Two things. Go for the proper AA ones here if you can afford them - I tried a cheaper high street pair and they didn't fit or look as good.

Two, watch the sizing. I'm a size 10 and need the medium. Try on if you can.

racmun Sat 13-Apr-13 07:50:20

I didn't even know what disco pants were or that they were 'in'.

I think they are to be avoided at all costs unless you are (a) very slim and (b) have an amazing bum, can you imagine what some people are going to look like squeezed into them - jeez

Also I think the whole point of them is to show of your waist and bum by wearing short/tucked in tops. If you wear something longer the surely they just look like shiny skinny jeans and the point if them is lost.

This is where even I would draw the line!

Loveleopardprint Sat 13-Apr-13 08:54:55

Thrush anyone??!!

noddyholder Sat 13-Apr-13 09:08:06

If you need to cover your bum and stomach with a tunic you are the wrong shape for them. I had a pair a few years ago from Jane Norman and did wear with jumper and boots but threw them out when I saw the pictures in the papers of the loose women on a night on and several of them were wearing them. Just get some decent tight black jeans

itshothere Sat 13-Apr-13 09:25:09

My older teen DD wears them and manages to look good in them sighs with envy and reminisces about lost youth . She's a petite size 6, pretty and has bags of confidence.
That being said though, if you have the confidence to wear them, why not at any age? But being slim and wearing the correct or no underwear gives plus points smile .

50ShadesOfMaybe Sat 13-Apr-13 09:30:04

racmun, that's what I'd have thought until I tried a pair. They look better than you think.

noddy I sometimes wear them with a tucked-in top - or sometimes with a longer one. They are quite versatile.

noddyholder Sat 13-Apr-13 09:34:13

I think if you can do tucked in you are right shape! Otherwise they are very expensive high gloss tights!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now