Are Radley bags really so awful?

(133 Posts)
HarrySnotter Thu 04-Apr-13 17:24:39

DH bought me this bag for my birthday. I actually really love it but a 'friend' (work colleague really) has informed me that Radley are totally naffola and that everyone will now think I have no taste.

I don't normally give a toss what other people think of what I like or if I have taste or not (I probably don't!) but I'm actually a little hurt because DH put a lot of thought into it and got me one he knew I'd like. Which I do. I don't really know why I'm bothered, I suppose I just feel that she's pissed on my chips a bit. sad

www.radley.co.uk/rockland-broad-large-workbag

HarrySnotter Thu 04-Apr-13 17:43:43

Ah thanks ladies, I've fallen in love with my naffola bag all over again. smile

Wouldn't it be awful if I accidentally caught her a glancing blow on the side of the head with said bag whilst leaving the office? Totally accidentally you understand. grin

DolomitesDonkey Thu 04-Apr-13 17:45:06

I bought a radley "feature" bag back in 2002 in a remote Scottish village. It has an igloo and a penguin on it. I love it and always get compliments. Fuck 'em. grin

FrauMoose Thu 04-Apr-13 17:45:23

I've got one of the messenger style(?) bags. Lovely soft leather. Not flashy looking. Just right. (And if any 'friend' started giving me unwanted feedback like that, I would be questioning the friendship.)

What a very rude and terribly uncouth person shock but then you can't buy class, even if you can afford Prada wink

I have some Radley bags. I like them because they are reasonable quality leather and practical for everyday. Some of the prestige bags are heavy and impractical.

Ignore the silly woman smile

Brunocat Thu 04-Apr-13 17:47:27

I love your bag. I wish my husband would get me such a thoughtful present. Your 'friend' sounds like a total cow - ignore her.

MadBraLady Thu 04-Apr-13 17:48:11

It's lovely. Especially in the green. Never really understood how people write off whole brands TBH. I could probably find something I loved from every label in the world.

Tell her that in certain lights she has a moustache.

NumTumMum Thu 04-Apr-13 17:49:31

Accidents do happen Harry grin

Floralnomad Thu 04-Apr-13 17:51:10

I think it looks lovely ,particularly in the green - very classic .She is obviously jealous that you have such a lovely husband ,either that or she's just a cow .

DeepPurple Thu 04-Apr-13 17:51:45

Neither link works on my phone so I can't comment on your bag. My sister loves radley and I don't think they are naff. Ignore the silly cow. It what you like that matters!

HarrySnotter Thu 04-Apr-13 17:52:09

Tell her that in certain lights she has a moustache.

gringrin I am SO tempted to do this.

newgirl Thu 04-Apr-13 17:54:22

I was given a radley bag a few years ago and it is the best quality bag I've ever had. Leather is soft and lovely and lining v smart. Hasnt worn out at all.

What a horrible, rude woman. It's a lovely gift from your DH and all that matters is that you like it. Ignore her, she doesn't sound much of a friend at all.

flowery Thu 04-Apr-13 17:58:28

Can't see the bag but it doesn't matter anyway.

She sounds very unpleasant and therefore her opinion is not worth listening to.

Taste is an individual thing and your taste is just as valid as hers. Be confident with your preferences and style, and enjoy your bag- even more as it was chosen so thoughtfully for you.

GinAndSlimlinePlease Thu 04-Apr-13 18:03:02

It's a gorgeous bag.

She sounds rude and jealous.

sudaname Thu 04-Apr-13 18:09:32

No l cant see it either but l am not a fan of walking around advertising on behalf of companies so am afraid the little dog would have to come off - but that's just me.
I certainly wouldn't tell someone whose DH had bought them one that l thought they were naff or whatever though - she's just a cah basically.
I would have been tempted to say 'Hasn't that 'Only way is Essex type bitchiness gone out of fashion too?'
Or something that l didn't think of till it was too late.

Startail Thu 04-Apr-13 18:15:30

Nothing puts me of grown women more than them coming out with that kind of petty teen bitchyness, feel free to clip her round the ear with your lovely new bag.

noviceoftheday Thu 04-Apr-13 18:32:37

It's a lovely bag. I probably would have told her to fuck right off. (Not known for reigning it ingrin)

CallMeRoger Thu 04-Apr-13 18:39:34

I bought one last week in red (That's not called red) and I decided that I don't care what anyone else thinks I like it. I've heard people call them frumpy but so what. I have had lots of compliments about mine although I did remove the dog because I wasn't keen on the colours.

Love your bag, your DH saved hard and chose it for you. Definitely tell her the moustache thing grin

fedupofnamechanging Thu 04-Apr-13 18:40:59

Your 'friend' has no class and no manners. She sounds like the kind of person who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Fwiw, I have a Radley cross body bag - have used it practically every day and it is still like new. It is very well made.

foxysocks Thu 04-Apr-13 18:53:49

what a rude cow! that is a horrible thing to say and I'm sorry she has take the shine of your present. it's a lovely bag, i hope you enjoy it (and whack her round the head with it 'accidentally', natch)

marriedinwhiteagain Thu 04-Apr-13 19:03:19

Nothing wrong with your bag - certainly not naffola - unlike your friend's bad manners shock

HarrySnotter Thu 04-Apr-13 19:03:29

Well I've just got home and when I was on the train a total stranger came up to me and asked me where I got my bag, because she loved it. Yes she loved my naffola bag! I could have hugged the life out of her!! smile

Owllady Thu 04-Apr-13 19:05:22

she sounds awful, take no notice

EuroShaggleton Thu 04-Apr-13 19:12:17

I'm not personally a big fan of Radley - I find the little scottie dog unbearably twee - but I don't think they are naff, just not to my taste. The one you linked is really quite nice. She's probably just jealous.

Coconutty Thu 04-Apr-13 19:16:52

I like Radley bags. DM got me one and thought about the colour/shape for ages apparently, so what's not to love?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now