Best style blogs?

(67 Posts)
Fuckitthatlldo Sun 24-Mar-13 10:34:57

I am just a little bit in love with The Sartorialist and can waste far too much time browsing through his site archives. Can anyone recommend any other decent style blogs? I'm 37 and tend to prefer classic, as opposed to overly trendy styles. Thanks!

TrampyPanterNoster Tue 26-Mar-13 09:34:06

nipers, I have a very strict budget and price cap. Almost everything is an ebay or sale find. I'm always a bit hmm at blogs that claim to be affordable, then shows hermes scarves and burberry jackets.

God bless Primark!

Afraid I pay for my purchases the good old fashioned way, with money from my bank account. I do try to buy at a discount where possible though!

TrampyPanterNoster Tue 26-Mar-13 09:52:27

Amber, I love your blog.
the outnet had a great sale the other week, and Reiss's outlet is always good value.

MissWooWoo Tue 26-Mar-13 13:29:48

if you like colour you will love this ...

site

wish I could pull off her style - she is gorgeous too!

BeehavingBaby Tue 26-Mar-13 14:22:30

I like Susie So So and the Clothes Horse. I think it's important to find someone vaguely the same shape as yourself.

Fuckitthatlldo Wed 27-Mar-13 07:49:53

Love that Bittersweet Colours site MissWooWoo. What a find! Think she looks fantastic - smart, yet individual and interesting.

I think my problem with a lot of the fashion blogs (including does my bum look 40) is they are so obvious. Skinnies, boots, and a scarf. But that's how everyone dresses. There's nothing to define her look. She just looks quite nice in the same clothes that everyone is wearing.

Completely off topic, but I feel the need to wail - I bought two beautiful pairs of trousers in the Toast sale. One mustard, one navy pair of smart, straight legged, silk, cotton and linen trousers. They said dry clean only but I thought bah, they'll go in on a cold hand wash ok.

It wasn't ok. They have shrunk. £120.00 down the effing drain. Wah!

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 27-Mar-13 08:18:49

Have you tried stretching them - like literally pulling them very hard when wet? Sometimes works.

I agree about finding someone on a blog who is a similar size - I love kat on doesmybum but she is so much taller than me that nothing she wears would work on me.

I also think its very hard in the winter to keep blogs interesting - I mean there are only so many variations of jeans and jumpers.

ChablisLover Wed 27-Mar-13 08:29:17

amber - love your blog (especially the Me&Em dress)

its given me some inspiration for work wear (and casual clothes) as I keep wearing the same things over and over again

thank you flowers

foxysocks Wed 27-Mar-13 09:11:47

I like Amber's blog, DMBL40 and allwornout. I like SGS because Avril seems nice but her style doesn't work for me generally. Kat has the most similar body shape to me but she is way more into her heels, I prefer to play down being tall and wear flats (or smaller block heels, eg height of my ash jalouse) for everything except weddings these days.

the thing that gets me about some blogs isn't the funds, everyone has different spends and that's fine, it's more about the amount of stuff. an extra rail because clothes don't fit in your wardrobe - seriously? six pairs of identical shaped different coloured shorts - what? I don't get that at all.

similarly don't get the ones who never seem to wear the same item more than once a month. I guess I find it weird because it's so far from my own wardrobe and 'aim' with clothes - I want to wear stuff regularly (when it's season appropriate, obvs) and would rather buy one or two things I love per month than tons of stuff.

do fash bloggers get stuff and then send it back a lot? or just continue to buy buy buy month on month? I'm genuinely interested. they must do a lot of reselling/charity shopping too, I'm guessing, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it must take a huge amount of time!

foxysocks Wed 27-Mar-13 09:28:08

meant to add - that's one reason I like allwornout - they seem to use the same items in different outfits and pull stuff out of their wardrobes to wear differently rather than it being new new new all the time.

Fuckitthatlldo Wed 27-Mar-13 10:09:27

Thanks for the tip MrsCampbell - will give that a go. I am so miffed. I bloody loved those trousers. The fabric was beautiful, the colours were just right, and they had just the right amount of slouch in the leg IYKWIM. Grrr.

Back on topic - I also don't like to have too much stuff in my wardrobe. I only want to have things that I actually wear. I prefer quality to quanitity and would rather buy one really nice thing every couple of months than lots of cheap things. I have a small wardrobe space with one rail. If it starts to get too full I have a clear out and an edit and see what can go.

Awww thanks Chablis! Me&Em dresses rock, they look great and feel like you're wearing a track suit. What's not to like?!

From my perspective, I have a lot of clothes. I had a lot of clothes before I started blogging and I continue to have a lot of clothes now. Do wear the same things reasonably often, but try to rotate the more 'statement' items, for fear that people you get bored of seeing the same lobster sweatshirt! wink

That being said, when my Isabel Marant trainers arrive readers can expect to see them every damn day as part of my 'reasonable cost-per-wear' initiative smile

joliejolie Wed 27-Mar-13 11:12:38

I love AWO. Especially the poster who has the Massimo Dutti coat and Mimco boots. She helped me bag a cute Whistles top (for me and dd) the other week for £13!! I think we have similar taste and I think she chooses wisely and wears loads of things together really well.

I personally have never been a capsule wardrobe person and tend to buy separates only to find I have no tops/bottoms/shoes that match. It's a real problem for me. Wish I could pull outfits off easier, but I struggle.

I can never find Amber's!

I like AWO especially Tracey, although her style is generally v different to mine: she's much more classic and neat than I will ever be!

I must admit the whole harem, trainers, sweatshirt thing which many bloggers are currently wearing leaves me cold but each to their own. smile

I'd like to see more workwear. I don't dislike the Bum lady but she doesn't seem to work, so has v different wardrobe requirements than I do. I like the skinnies and a scarf look and it works well for her: deffo better than those horrible harems!

I have yet to find anybody who does exactly what I want in a blog, which is why I tend to zone out of ones I previously liked.

mewkins Wed 27-Mar-13 21:36:38

I really like Colour Makes People. A lovely fresh-faced Norwegian girl who combines bonkers patterns and colours to great effect! It really opens your eyes to lovely colour combinations. She is not bloghing so much at the mo as pregnant, but well worth a trawl through the archives.

libertychick Thu 28-Mar-13 00:06:44

I like the fact that Amber takes a lot of her pics at work so is one of the only blogs that covers office based life. Like Remus I end up zoning out of blogs as they mostly don't cover work wear and about 70-80% of my wardrobe is work focused.

scarlet76 Thu 28-Mar-13 05:56:55

I seem to go through phases with blogs - will read avidly for a while and then seem to lose interest.
SGS - I like the seemingly down to earth approach though her style is slightly different to my own.
DMBL40 - Like the woman and her writing but her budget is way beyond mine, her lifestyle very different and although I'm slim, I'm miles shorter than her. I did pick up a great H&M scarf from that blog though.
All worn out - Like the concept of this and seem to get less bored as different posters keeps it interesting.
Style Guile - sorry, it leaves me cold.
Can I have a link to Amber's? I work so would like to see a blog that reflects that.

As another poster has said, my aim at the moment is to spend less, buy reasonable high street quality and utilise what I have and wear regularly. I would love to see a blog that does a bit of a challenge - say wear 10 key pieces in different ways for a month.

twentymumthing.wordpress.com/ Ambersblog
I agree scarlet I'd love to see 10 key pieces ,even in that Polyvore format.

QueenCadbury Thu 28-Mar-13 09:36:05

C'mon drywhite orscarlet start a blog!

Is that 10 key pieces with other stuff added in to keep it interesting or just 10 pieces? Think I'd struggle with just 10 things - does that include shoes/bags/scarves etc?

libertychick Thu 28-Mar-13 14:33:28

10 is not enough! I am considering trying Project 33 which someone else linked to before. 33 pieces (including outerwear, jewellery, bags, shoes but not wedding ring, gym or lounge wear) and stick to them for 3 months - I was going to try it for a month! Way too lazy to blog though - could you do it Amber? grin

I could do 33 for a month, no sweat! Shall I do it for April? wink

ClaudiaCutie Thu 28-Mar-13 15:03:32

If you like the Sartorialist, you'll enjoy:

1 - http://atlantic-pacific.blogspot.co.uk/
2 - http://www.wendyslookbook.com/

and from UK and making cheap clothes look expensive:

3 - http://www.foreveramber.co.uk/

all three are in a different league of blogging in terms of style (well, since they show want I want to see, I would say that, wouldn't I?)

All three avoid the wretched skinny jean/floppy top cliches too.

Fuckitthatlldo Thu 28-Mar-13 15:11:24

Thank you so much everyone for the links. Really appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now