Beauty hero products that we hate

(106 Posts)
mingfudge Thu 21-Mar-13 15:55:15

I am sitting here nursing a very red and sore face, following a stint with Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish and Garnier Ultra Lift last night. I have tried everything. Even camomile teabags mixed with porridge, honey and milk, to tone it down a bit. Still sore. Even my trusted Olay stings on contact.

At first I blamed it on the ultra lift but after much thought, I think it was the C&P. So I did a bit of Googling and it transpires that quite a few C&P users have had the 'extreme sunburn' look from it. Funny thing is, mine is a year old and I stopped using it because I didn't think it was that great when I first bought it. I don't remember this kind of reaction but I am sure this is what it is.

Anyway, my googling brought up a great blog post on beauty products that everyone raves about but you can;t get away with them. Funnily enough, many of the products in the comments (and the blog post) are ones I would agree with.

This is the blog post www.beautymouth.com/2012/03/i-know-its-hero-product-but-i-just-cant.html

My hero fail products are:

Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish (obviously)
Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream (ended up as nappy rash cream, for which it is surprisingly good)
Three step Clinique system (steps one and two stripped my face of any moisture, then the greasy moisturiser to replace it caused horrible acne spots)
Bio oil
Fake Bake (streaky and oompa loompa at the same time :-O)
Essie nail polish - I've had Rimmel ones last longer.

DIddled Thu 21-Mar-13 22:18:48

Touché éclat=sore flaky under eyes.

kicker Thu 21-Mar-13 22:20:48

I use 8 hour cream when the DC have chapped, sore skin under their mouths during the winter. I put it on before they go to bed. They loathe the smell but realise it stops their skin being sore so they tolerate it.
I can't see when I would use it myself.
The Touche eclat brush went really manky and stinky.
Bio oil is surely just orange baby oil at a huge mark up for all the effect it had on my stretch marks.

armagh Thu 21-Mar-13 22:37:09

Frizz ease-it didn't
Opi nail envy
Dr.Lewinns nail strengthner and their hand cream-soo expensive and crap!
Sally Hanson nail stuff-ruined my nails
EA8 hour cream-pongs
Astral cream -too thick
Boots Perfect and Protect serum- did nothing
Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair- it didn't!

Pseudonymity Thu 21-Mar-13 22:45:03

JumpHerWho Which chemical face scrub do you use? I can't find one.

Nail Envy - no improvement in the state of my nails with it
Boots Curl Creme - makes my hair lanky and dull
Seche Vite - Sally Hansen insta-dry is better and cheaper
Body Shop hemp hand cream, greasy, unpleasant smell,
Body Shop rose hand cream, nice smell, horrid watery texture

I second the recommendation for the Dr Organic rose products, they are lovely. I have tried several of the other Dr O ranges too and liked all of them.

coffeeinbed Thu 21-Mar-13 22:52:25

EA 8 hour cream is Vaseline with some camphor in, isn't it?
It's what I thought.

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 21-Mar-13 23:17:36

So who does like EA 8 hour cream? Or is it a best seller still because everyone thinks they should buy it, even though I literally know noone who is a fan?

futterbingers Thu 21-Mar-13 23:22:18

Smashbox primer – or indeed any primer – just another way for cosmetics companies to part us from our money – use a decent moisturiser and there's no need for this;
Juicy Tubes – useless, gloopy and the colours are non-existant;
All Avon makeup – rubbish (though their Anew skincare is vv good);
Avon Skin so Soft – stinks, literally;
Touche Eclat – any amount of products out there at a fraction of the price that are heaps better;
Benetint – I could probably get the same effect by rubbing a red marker on my face;
Bobbi Brown foundations – no Bobbi, we don't all have yellow-toned skin;
Clarins Instant Smooth Self-tanning cream for face – horrible tangoed shade, and it stinks;
Clarins Beauty Flash Balm – what everyone else said;
Tom Ford makeup – I got a bunch of nailpolishes, lipstick, mascara for Xmas, wish I had've got the money they cost instead, cos they are shite;
Any deoderant that isn't an anti-perspirant – so sweat is ok so long as it doesn't smell? I don't think so;
Oil cleansing method – rubbish – I know thats heresy on here but its a messy faff.
(But, I love – Elizabeth Arden 8-hour cream, use it at night on my feet and it leaves them really soft, sorts out any dry patches on my face overnight, also a little massaged into my cuticles works wonders. And love Double Wear Light, I always wear it when I need to look like I've made an effort to be polished and well groomed).
Phew, I needed to get all that off my chest, thanks OP!

I love 8 hour cream for my dry lips, it's one of the few things that seems to help more than just very temporarily. Cheapy lip balms just get me licking my lips more after a bit so they get more dry!

I also love beauty flash balm, it makes me look like a better/brighter/more awake version of me without looking too made-up, which I hate. I do have to put some sort of powder over it though or I look too shiny.

Things I have not got on with - the Clinique "yellow shit" again! And Benetint too, though I like several other Benefit products.

JumpHerWho Thu 21-Mar-13 23:35:15

Futter - I agree with you on primer, and would add that serums are a total con too.

If I believed most companies' marketing, I'd remove makeup, then cleanse, then tone, then serum, then moisturise, then sunblock, then prime, then foundation! confused

I'm vain and I don't use that many steps... usually cleanse, then moisturise, then either tinted sunblock or foundation. At night I might do serum+oil instead of moisturiser.

>adds La Roche Posay products to it-works-list>

I do like Regenerist, I find the cream does plump my skin and make it soft and smooth, is a good primer base for makeup on me.

JumpHerWho Thu 21-Mar-13 23:39:25

Pseudonymity - this

A couple of times a week does me nicely. No scrubbing, how uncouth wink

FreshLeticia Thu 21-Mar-13 23:45:49

OPI nail envy. Mavala is leagues better.
expensive nail polishes - rimmel french polish has been on my nails all week, including gardening.
any makeup remover stuff. Just wipe it off with any moisturiser lotion on a cotton wool pad and wipe over with witch hazel to tone.
false eyelashes. they never fit.
am very pleased with BB cream though, it fills the pockmarks.
blusher of any sort.
all lip glosses. stay on for 5 mins then gone. try vaseline.
all the many, many skin and 'spa' products. bath salts ( epsom), rose and lavender oil, sea salt for scrubbing and a good basic moisturiser are all you need. and contrary to belief, you can use the same one on face and body. try Johnson's bady lotion or Nivea.

AuntPittypat Thu 21-Mar-13 23:46:00

Agree with Eight Hour Cream. Horrible stiff, sticky, stinky stuff!

I love Beauty Flash Balm though. I mix a small amount into my foundation to give me more of a healthy glow. Especially when hungover

whethergirl Thu 21-Mar-13 23:51:22

After reading all the rave reviews for the Kerastase hair products, I treated myself to the Oleo Curl shampoo, condition and styling cream.

It's shit.

wildfig Fri 22-Mar-13 09:39:21

Bobbi Brown shimmer bricks. Hello, pores! Hello, fine lines!

Laquila Fri 22-Mar-13 09:39:24

I like 8-hr cream as a lip balm, and I also LOVE Benetint - and it lasts for years (mmm...hygienic).

The L'Oreal equivalent of Touché Éclat is the best one I've tried - the No7 one gave me an undereye rash, ugh.

I agree the L'Oreal version of Touché Éclat is the best (and believe me, I've tried 'em all!)

Hated Beauty Flash Balm - keep getting it in gift sets from PIL's at Christmas, immediately give it away. Also hate Clarins hand & nail cream, leaves my hands drier than no cream at all.

C&P by Liz Earle - nothing fantastic. Tried the Superdrug Vit E version, far too stripping.

Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser did absolutely nothing for me. Prefer Origins Vitazing.

But I love love live EA 8-hr cream (lips, cuticles, dry patches on face, knees, elbows, heels).

And Clinique yellow DDM is the product I've re-purchased more than any other in my 30+ years of being a chemist shop owner's dream!

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Fri 22-Mar-13 11:14:13

Yes Kicker my Touché Éclat brush went stinky too, thought it was only me! Smelled like stagnant washing up water, not something I wanted anywhere near my face.

Eliza22 Fri 22-Mar-13 12:14:39

Benetint... Too hit and miss. Sometimes pretty, sometimes I look like I was utterly pissed when I applied it.
Clarins Beauty Flash Balm... Same over priced/over hyped product it was in the 80's.
Chanel Tan Soleil Universal. The one in the big pot. I can not do it!
Pantene anything. Best seller? Why?? It smells like neat chemicals. Just why?
Clinique 3 Step.
Estée Lauder Night Repair... "King's New Clothes" product, that!

What I hate most of all? 16 yr old models advertising anti-ageing products. Should be a law against that, by Trading Standards.

armagh Fri 22-Mar-13 12:33:13

Use your old touch eclat brush as a lip brush. Tis great smile

neriberi Fri 22-Mar-13 13:30:55

Practically any haircare or styling product that's for "fine hair, frizzy hair"
Bio oil

BagWoman Fri 22-Mar-13 14:29:14

HATE
EA 8 hr stuff- horrid smell and thick gunk.
Soap and Glory- can't stand smell.
LE C&P- emporer's new clothes- again can't stand mentholy smell.
Most Clarins skin care - too much perfume - except false tan
Chubby sticks- worse than useless

LOVE
Olay Regenerist ( recent convert from more expensive stuff & can buy on Amazon for half price.)
Neutrogena Body Lotion- £5 and great stuff
Lancome Hypnose- tried cheaper but always come back to it.
Clinique Lip Gloss- actually stays put and makes my lips softer than any lip salve.

florascotia Fri 22-Mar-13 17:35:56

This may or may not be relevant, but here in Scottish Highlands Avon's Skin so Soft is widely reputed to be a very effective midge repellant! The tiny biting insects are reckoned not to like the smell. However, many climbers, hikers and gardeners routinely troubled by midges don't like the smell either...

Dawndonna Fri 22-Mar-13 18:30:42

Another clinique three step. Stripped my skin and made it sore and horrid.
BB cream, rubbish.
Bare Minerals accentuates every wrinkle.

whethergirl Fri 22-Mar-13 22:30:50

We should have a Noel Edmonds type Swap Shop, but instead of swapping my Bucks Fizz album for a pair of roller skates, I'd like to swap my Keraste hair products for a Cleanse & Polish which I love.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now