MN Vogue Vol 7

(1000 Posts)
shopafrolic Wed 20-Mar-13 12:07:57

All welcome to talk style and beauty

I couldn't wear white jeans even if I wanted to, they really don't, IMO, look good when you're as large on the bottom half as I am. I'll stick to my dark washes and keep telling myself that they make me look lovely and slim grin

foxysocks Fri 29-Mar-13 22:12:06

i am def buying/wearing white jeans in april. fo sho.

had a 'whoops i fell on the buy button' moment earlier when this came back into stock in a size 8. keep or return? we shall see...... www.asos.com//Asos/Asos-Coat-In-Leopard-With-Button-Front/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2249353

Ooooh, I like that, I love a good animal print coat I do

pickledsiblings Fri 29-Mar-13 22:17:19

foxy, I love that it's pale - what a great price, I predict you'll love it.

foxysocks Fri 29-Mar-13 22:19:11

I know, right? £20! I'll probably wear it in april nevermind AW13! hope it's nice, acrylic central but what do you expect for that price point.

foxysocks Fri 29-Mar-13 22:20:15

ooo there's a size 12 in stock! SOMEONE BUY IT QUICK.

noviceoftheday Fri 29-Mar-13 22:22:53

Thanks pickledsmile

I always find I barely wear my white jeans. Have had them for years and practically look new. However, as I usually wear them once a year they manage to avoid my annual end of year declutter and they live to see another day. Maybe I should get them out tomorrow a la Paris vogue?!

pickledsiblings Fri 29-Mar-13 22:32:51

Inspired by your mention of coffee cake novice, I thought I would share that MiL bought us this delicious cake today from Tesco (not cheap at £8) but very delicious, especially with ice-cream and tinned peaches grin.

libertychick Fri 29-Mar-13 23:31:02

Great coat Foxy and love the white on white pin Marsha. White jeans a no no for me although almost every summer I convince myself to have a go, try a few pairs on and leave the shops freshly shocked at just how ginormous my thighs are! NOT THIS YEAR grin

Well done Frugal on sticking with your March ban - a no shopping year would be very hard but you sound like you have a very versatile and varied wardrobe already so you could do it - and yes a major reward would be in order at the end.

I am seriously considering doing Project 333. I like the idea of how tidy my wardrobe would be with just 33 items. Going to take some time this weekend to consider if it is doable and would reserve the right of item substitution at least once a month! I think keeping on top of the laundry would potentially be the biggest issue.

I love the idea of Project 333 but I know I couldn't do it. I have to have a large variety of clothes to allow for days when I only have one fully functioning arm to use so I couldn't build a wardrobe of only 33 pieces that would cover all bases. Shame as it seems a very good idea.

Annianni Sat 30-Mar-13 07:11:34

I'm still sulking about the grey horrigans.
The size 6 were a perfect fit on my foot and ankle... Just too snug round the toes <sob>
And I've not seen anything as nice, apart from Jennys or Pistols.

I can't do white jeans, I'm too clumsy.
I get through too many white tops as it is, without adding £££ jeans to the equation grin

noviceoftheday Sat 30-Mar-13 07:12:23

pickled that cake looks fab.

liberty, I couldn't do project 333 because I would blow it with accessories. Earrings, bracelet, watch, ring, necklace, bag and shoes would be 7 items alone! However, I do think I do a form of project 333 (I think most people do!) in that I rotate my wardrobe around twice a year, so eg when we finally get spring, those clothes will be more prominent in the wardrobe. My job is too "corporate" for the clothes to be able to transcend the work/non-work divide. Maybe 333 can work outside of that environment?

I actually started making a 33 piece list as was thinking of blogging the project for April. It's hard! Would be easier in summer as you could factor out hat/scarf/coat etc.

The point novice makes about clothes crossing the divide is a good one. When you work in a very corporate environment it is tricky. Most of my work stuff is at polar odds with my 'actual style' IYKWIM. I like it, but I always feel like I'm playing dress up!

Topazandpearl Sat 30-Mar-13 08:09:04

I think I'll do an easier version. I won't count accessories or outer coats and like liberty, I'll allow more frequent substitutions, especially as (if!!) the weather improves. I am still finding it hard though and it is making me rethink possible purchases as they would have to displace one of the 33.

MarshaBrady Sat 30-Mar-13 08:13:36

I've been clearing slowly. About six ok but old things to a charity swap place. But also I've had to throw stuff away. A few old jumpers I'd forgotten about, had holes etc. It felt odd to throw stuff but had to be done.

I think it was the I&I jumpers that pushed it all out.

santamarianovella Sat 30-Mar-13 09:01:57

i just read the link, its a bit pointless and a lot of work in my opinion, what about transitional items?( jeans,tees,shirts,shoes,light knitwear. .etc) these are well over 33 items.

shopafrolic Sat 30-Mar-13 09:17:56

My ironing basket has 33 items in it or more at any one time! No chance of me doing it!

FrugalFashionista Sat 30-Mar-13 09:27:46

Amber fantastic!!! You'll have the most eclectic 33 on the planet, really looking forward to it grin

SMN I love your style. People who are disciplined and selective purchasers - ie many of you (Marshalogy!) - don't really need projects like this. But anyone who suffers from clutter and overstuffed cupboards probably will benefit. I'm a maximalist by nature but even a good wardrobe can be rendered next to useless if it's cluttered with multiples and other redundant items. To me the project makes sense in the summer when I travel. I already did a big declutter last year that has already streamlined my wardrobe a lot, and I'm trying to maintain the newfound balance by being very selective/restrictive about adding new items. Right now evaluating all-stars and benchwarmers makes more sense to me (have discovered true gems that way and dressed much more creatively). Oh and if you need help with the basic evaluation process, Recovering Shopaholic (she's a professional stylist/wardrobe organizer) is really good - some of my favorite posts here and here

But happy if so many of you are 333ing - will follow you and do my version in July-Aug. Unless it really is life-transforming - it that case I'll join you sooner wink

Oh and a q to those of you who wear white jeans - what footwear do you wear with them???

MarshaBrady Sat 30-Mar-13 09:28:12

Ha Shop. I've got too much stuff too.

MarshaBrady Sat 30-Mar-13 09:29:46

I will probably do ballet flats Frugal but then I always do in summer.

MarshaBrady Sat 30-Mar-13 09:33:57

Although I am rather tempted to join the editors at French Vogue and do the black Marant vibe and good collar grin

I can just see us all striding the streets in same way.

shopafrolic Sat 30-Mar-13 10:02:55

Definitely going to have to check ahead on outfits before we meet in May! smile

noviceoftheday Sat 30-Mar-13 10:30:37

Gah. sad in one of my mini dramas on Wednesday, I caught the chain of my diamond pendant necklace on my charm watch. I popped it into my purse and this morning I have gone to open the purse this morning to take it to my jewelry repair man and I can't find it. sad

McNally Sat 30-Mar-13 10:48:26

Oh novice, what a nightmare, I really hope they turn up somewhere sad.

Love that coat foxy. I do like a bit of leopard print.

That 333 project sounds interesting and I'd love to hear how people get on. I think I have the opposite problem in that I'd like to add more variety to my wardrobe. When I find something I like, I'm guilty of buying multiple similar items. Looking forward to reading those articles later Frugal.

Talking of clothes crossing the work/outside work divide - I went from a fairly conservative corporate environment (not even a dress down Friday!) to a very casual office. I think I preferred the first from a dressing point of view. I liked having a kind of uniform and a clear distinction between the two worlds. Plus, my jeans need replacing much more often these days!

This thread is not accepting new messages.