Part 4- All you ever need to know about fragrance continues

(1000 Posts)
shoeprincess2 Mon 18-Mar-13 18:55:37
ChocsAwayInMyGob Sat 04-May-13 12:04:11

I am wearing A Scent by Issely Miyake today as it's warm. It's even greener than Cristalle. It's very similar to Cristalle actually, maybe with fewer lemons and more greenery. It's gorgeous.

coffeeinbed Sat 04-May-13 15:15:16

Frugal, I tried Nerolia as well, there's something in that bothered me.
It was lovely and dry to start with and then there is something very pronounced, just before dry down.
Have to re-try, not sure what it was, a very definite floral note. A bit jarring.

FrugalFashionista Sat 04-May-13 17:52:54

Yes Coffee there is a definite white floral feel there. To my surprise (I used to have white flower phobia), I quite like it. It's quite close to many classic colognes, so you may have better luck with them. Dior's Escale a Portofino is also worth a try.

I actually tried to buy Nerolia Bianca at the local dept store today, but it was 65€ - and I saw it for 44€ at the duty-free yesterday shock Will pass through some airports in about 10 days so will wait until then...

I wore Neroli Portofino by TF during my trip too and it also fits the bill, but too expensive for what you get. Someone on Basenotes wrote that AA Nerolia Bianca (the silly name bothers me...) is quite similar to AA Mandarin Basilic. I tried it but it was disappointing, glib and humdrum and lotion-like somehow, smelling of satsumas. Mandarin essential oil can be magnificent, dark and gothic note, used to great effect in many Tauers, but MB just smelled very bland.

coffeeinbed Sat 04-May-13 17:57:33

I keep trying the Aqua Allegorias, always have high hopes and never quite get them.
The only one I got was an old one AA Apaisant which is a big white floral.
Very reassuring.

FrugalFashionista Sat 04-May-13 18:06:45

The same here, they are a bit bland plus hate the cutesy bottle. Herba Fresca is a bit different and Pamplelune daunting but most others feel a bit pedestrian. But it gets very hot here (27C today) and for a few months colognes are the only realistic option...

Some other favorites: Eau Sauvage, L'Eau de l'Artisan, Eau de Tarocco, Eau du Sud, (Divine) Bergamote.

IsabelleRinging Sun 05-May-13 08:54:33

I was in Debenhams today and they had a tester of Mitsouko Parfum. I had tried Mitsouko before and not really liked it, finding it a bit sharp, but I gave the Parfum a try and actually really liked it. It was interesting, quite soft and fruity and definitely has something animalic in there although I couldn't say what. Totally different to the EDT version.

FrugalFashionista Sun 05-May-13 13:33:57

Isabelle I agree - I find other concentrations of Mitsy a bit too staid / aged but the extrait is extremely wearable and I actually like it.

Chanel No 19 EdT today.

I settled on Prada Infusion de Tubereuse 100ml for my FB treat. DP kindly paid for it as well. It's absolutely gorgeous on, big white floral and definitely something animalic in the background, certainly on my skin anyway. DP even insisted on paying for a gift set so I got the body lotion to go with it. I'm really pleased I spent some time choosing something instead of just going for a repeat purchase smile

ToysRLuv Sun 05-May-13 17:16:58

Good that you finally found something worthy OLL!

I'm wearing my vintage body shop vanilla perfume oil. Smells good even though it must be around 15 years old. I wonder if perfume oil goes off..

Have always been a bit daunted by the big classics, such as mitsouko. After sampling and immediately hating chanel no 5, don't want to feel like a silly pedestrian again. grin

CointreauVersial Mon 06-May-13 17:36:39

A day at Camden Market today (not by choice....), so SOTD really had to be a homage to patchouli. Chanel Coromandel, of course!

FrugalFashionista Mon 06-May-13 17:53:08

SOTD Mitzah by Dior. A bit blah.
Would love to try their newest scent.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Tue 07-May-13 13:29:32

SOTD Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel. Quite butch. I really like it.

ToysRLuv Tue 07-May-13 13:46:19

Go my huge batch of samples from lucky scent today.

Liked all of the ones I tried so far, apart from Tauer Incense Extreme. It's got a weird plasticky accord. Same as Auburn.

Love "on the beach 1966", but it doesn't last, same goes for Heeley Bubble gum Chic (really tuberosey and fun). Heeley's Sel Marin is good (meant to be similar to Fleurs de Sel).

Safran Troublant is too light and nearly gone in a minute.. sad

Love love love eldo Like This.

pomdereplay Tue 07-May-13 13:53:03

Can anyone advise? I am looking for a summer scent -- I tend to like qute big, heady perfumes (both aldehydic and gourmand-y) and nothing I have knocking about is doing it for me at the moment. My current top 3 (though none feel appropriate when it is so warm and sunny: L'Air du Desert Marocain (Tauer), Noix de Tuberuse (Miller Harris) and CiocoRosissimo (Hilde Soliani). Am happy to go niche, though prefer the option of a decant/sample but also like to buy mainstream (No. 19 my all-time favourite). Have recently sniffed Bronze Goddess by Estée Lauder and Chanel Cristalle, liked both but didn't LOVE either.

Any and all suggestions very much welcomed!

ChocsAwayInMyGob Tue 07-May-13 14:14:48

I think the perfect summer scent is O de Lancome, but if you didn't fall in love with Cristalle, then you might only like rather than love it.
Have you tried Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose and Gardenia?

kiwigirl42 Tue 07-May-13 14:37:47

I adore Estee Lauder Private Collection Gardenia - its the closest to real gardenia I have ever smelt

FrugalFashionista Tue 07-May-13 14:39:18

Pom I love LADDM and No 19 but go citrussy during the hot summer. O is great, I also wear Eau du Sud, Eau Sauvage, Neroli Portofino, L'Eau de L'Artisan, and Bergamote by TDC.

Mona di Orio's Tubereuse is very light and wearable.

Iris is always crisp, I love 28 La Pausa by Chanel, Le Labo Iris and Kilian's Prelude to Love. Hermessence Iris Ukioye much greener.

If you like rose, try Une Rose by Malle and Une zeste de rose by Rosine or Rose Ikebana.

Tauer's Miriam works really well unless it's swelteringly hot.

Va-va-voom bouquets are great in early summer, Bal a Versailles, Shem-el-Nessim, Hasu-No-Hana.

And YSL Cinema is my go-to light honeyed amber.

pomdereplay Tue 07-May-13 16:31:25

Some WONDERFUL suggestions there ladies, thank you so much! It definitely sounds like the Estée Lauder Private Collection is worth investigating and I will spritz some O on me on the way home for a quick-fix test!

Love the sound of the Mona di Orio, and Frugal -- is Une Rose really special? I love the Frederic Malle scents so instinct suggests yes, but I recently tried another (I think) rose soliflore by Annick Goutal and was so disappointed...

CointreauVersial Tue 07-May-13 18:09:40

Une Rose is gorgeous, like a fresh rose - it doesn't smell at all powdery or cloying, which is sometimes the case with rose perfumes.

ToysRLuv Tue 07-May-13 18:12:30

Umm, summer fragrances: Hermes' Jardins (especially Apres La Mousson) grin I know I keep recommending them..

ToysRLuv Tue 07-May-13 18:14:43

Heeley's Sel de Mer actually feels like it cools the skin. It's also nice and fresh.

ToysRLuv Tue 07-May-13 20:12:59

Oh dear. CdG Holygrace makes me gag. It smells of embalmed bodies. Will give it another try on another day, as I want to like it. Just not really getting any of the listed notes/spices.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Tue 07-May-13 20:51:19

CdeG Avignon on the other hand, is utterly gorgeous. Divine is indeed the word.

ToysRLuv Tue 07-May-13 20:59:37

Chocs: Avignon us nice, but maybe a teensy but too churchy for me. From the CdG incense series my favourites are Zagorsk, Jaisalmer and Quarzazate. Still looking for more incenses, though! Still have Incense Rose and Passage d'Enfer (although think that's going to be similar to Avignon) to try tomorrow when my nose and skin have cleared up a bit smile

FrugalFashionista Tue 07-May-13 21:00:16

Avignon is fantastic! (And Heeley's Cardinal its €€€ dupe). Would put some on, but wafting in a cloud of my standard going-out 'fume, the linen-closet crisp La Pausa.

This thread is not accepting new messages.