Where is good for cotton t-shirts & long sleeve tops now that GAP aren't?

(50 Posts)
abigboydidit Sat 16-Mar-13 14:46:28

Having been pregnant for most of the last 3 years I am trying to refresh my wardrobe. I had always been a fan of GAP plain t-shirts & long sleeve crew/v neck tops but all mine look a bit tired & are the old fashioned shorter length style (end on waist not on hips).

I had a 40% off code so I ordered loads in my usual size but the fit was awful - shapeless and clingy in equal measures - and the fabric was really thin & poor quality. I don't really have cash to spend on what is really just a wardrobe basic for layering but equally need something that washes well & ideally isn't that shiny jersey fabric which clings to my flabby belly.

Anyone able to suggest a reliable alternative? Thanks.

Stevie77 Wed 20-Mar-13 11:32:14

Err, actually, Gap. They do do great cotton t shirts that are a good fit. Not sure which ones you ordered but try the Pure Body range.

I also like the Primark ones but find the quality has gone downhill (amazing! I know!) and they now shrink in the wash and the hems Frey.

littlepeas Wed 20-Mar-13 10:25:37

Isabella Oliver/Baukjen. I am still swearing long sleeved maternity t shirts from 4 years ago (not pregnant!) and they are by far the best I have ever owned. Expensive, but cost per wear will be ridiculously low. Size up for a nice, skimming fit.

cornsilkcremeeggspotter Wed 20-Mar-13 05:01:51

I bought one reduced in sainsburys yesterday for £3.75. Bargain!

Suttonmum1 Tue 19-Mar-13 22:23:37

Sainsbury's have some short sleeved with Modal(?) cotton which feel like the ones that M&S have sporadically (but hardly ever when I'm there). Think they had white, green, blue and poss black. These are much nicer feel to the standard Primark/M&S ones.

Bouncey Tue 19-Mar-13 22:07:23

Another vote for uniqlo. Good quality and lots of colours. Boden is also good, washes and wears well.

ouryve Tue 19-Mar-13 21:40:29

Jersey is just the name for knitted fabric such as t-shirt fabric. Look for cotton or mostly cotton rather than polyester "modal", nylon or viscose (which is the stuff that looks great for 3 minutes, then creases like mad and goes baggy)

There's a Peacocks at Washington Galleries. I was pretty surprised to see it there. I never went in, since it looked like it was full of little more than cut price shiny leggings.

abigboydidit Tue 19-Mar-13 21:32:11

Peacocks? I thought they went bust?

PullyWoolOver Tue 19-Mar-13 19:30:00

Just adding my 2p's worth! I started a thread about this very thing last week and was recommended long-sleeve tees from Peacocks. I bought a couple at the weekend and can report that they are nice thick cotton and long in the body. I need to check what happens post-washing but am quietly hopeful.

At £6 they are bargainous and certainly much nicer than the crap that I tried on in Gap grin

abigboydidit Tue 19-Mar-13 19:06:03

Just got a H&M catalogue through the post with a free delivery code so was going to order a few as they look a good length & nice fit but notice they are jersey fabric. Does anyone know if its that awful thin, shiny stuff that clings to my belly & trouser waistband or the nicer jersey that sort of drapes? Thanks.

SpringyReframed Sun 17-Mar-13 21:40:18

Uniqlo. Great cut, great price and wash very well.

Corygal Sun 17-Mar-13 19:58:37

Uniqlo. Or Primark.

lesmisfan Sun 17-Mar-13 18:54:02

H&M are fantastic, reasonably long in the body, nice fabric and last forever.

TigerseyeMum Sun 17-Mar-13 01:19:56

Brora t shirts and long sleeve tops are excellent. Very good quality.

Expensive but you can usually pick them up in the sale.

Also have 1 Dorothy Perkins one which is reasonable.

Dorothy Perkins (which I can buy in Singapore) and Tu at Sainsburys (which I stockpile on annual UK visits). I live in T shirts year round and the Tu ones are amazing.

DewDr0p Sat 16-Mar-13 23:59:25

Just bought some of the Next basic ones - a mix of long sleeved/short sleeved/vests. Have washed them a few times now and they seem be be holding up ok. They are pretty cheap too (much cheaper than Gap)

Which American A ones do people rate? They always feel really thin.

bran Sat 16-Mar-13 21:37:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

threepiecesuite Sat 16-Mar-13 21:33:07

Surfdome are doing this Esprit one at a bargainous price, can recommend Esprit for decent quality.

PretzelTime Sat 16-Mar-13 21:28:41

Can someone link to one of those good quality Dorothy Perkins tops please?

Whyriskit Sat 16-Mar-13 21:18:04

Uniqlo, Sainsburys and, like a previous poster said, Laura Ashley.

allagory Sat 16-Mar-13 21:10:10

I have bought 3 t shirts this year: Monsoon (ripped in the wash) Boden (shrunk) Dorothy Perkins (still going strong)

All Primark tops shrink and end up hovering round my belly button when I bought them at hip length.

They got a pasting on another thread recently, but I really like La Redoute for tops. I don't think they're all 100% cotton, but they wash and wear well.

Cremolafoam Sat 16-Mar-13 20:57:55

American Apparel

ouryve Sat 16-Mar-13 20:53:30

Next do some good "essential" long sleeve tops and I'll second the recommendation for Sainsburys. Theirs are often fairtrade cotton, too and they do regular 25% off clothing weeks.

neolara Sat 16-Mar-13 20:52:30

Uniqlo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now