Where is good for cotton t-shirts & long sleeve tops now that GAP aren't?

(50 Posts)
abigboydidit Sat 16-Mar-13 14:46:28

Having been pregnant for most of the last 3 years I am trying to refresh my wardrobe. I had always been a fan of GAP plain t-shirts & long sleeve crew/v neck tops but all mine look a bit tired & are the old fashioned shorter length style (end on waist not on hips).

I had a 40% off code so I ordered loads in my usual size but the fit was awful - shapeless and clingy in equal measures - and the fabric was really thin & poor quality. I don't really have cash to spend on what is really just a wardrobe basic for layering but equally need something that washes well & ideally isn't that shiny jersey fabric which clings to my flabby belly.

Anyone able to suggest a reliable alternative? Thanks.

neolara Sat 16-Mar-13 20:52:30

Uniqlo

ouryve Sat 16-Mar-13 20:53:30

Next do some good "essential" long sleeve tops and I'll second the recommendation for Sainsburys. Theirs are often fairtrade cotton, too and they do regular 25% off clothing weeks.

Cremolafoam Sat 16-Mar-13 20:57:55

American Apparel

All Primark tops shrink and end up hovering round my belly button when I bought them at hip length.

They got a pasting on another thread recently, but I really like La Redoute for tops. I don't think they're all 100% cotton, but they wash and wear well.

allagory Sat 16-Mar-13 21:10:10

I have bought 3 t shirts this year: Monsoon (ripped in the wash) Boden (shrunk) Dorothy Perkins (still going strong)

Whyriskit Sat 16-Mar-13 21:18:04

Uniqlo, Sainsburys and, like a previous poster said, Laura Ashley.

PretzelTime Sat 16-Mar-13 21:28:41

Can someone link to one of those good quality Dorothy Perkins tops please?

threepiecesuite Sat 16-Mar-13 21:33:07

Surfdome are doing this Esprit one at a bargainous price, can recommend Esprit for decent quality.

bran Sat 16-Mar-13 21:37:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Which American A ones do people rate? They always feel really thin.

DewDr0p Sat 16-Mar-13 23:59:25

Just bought some of the Next basic ones - a mix of long sleeved/short sleeved/vests. Have washed them a few times now and they seem be be holding up ok. They are pretty cheap too (much cheaper than Gap)

Dorothy Perkins (which I can buy in Singapore) and Tu at Sainsburys (which I stockpile on annual UK visits). I live in T shirts year round and the Tu ones are amazing.

TigerseyeMum Sun 17-Mar-13 01:19:56

Brora t shirts and long sleeve tops are excellent. Very good quality.

Expensive but you can usually pick them up in the sale.

Also have 1 Dorothy Perkins one which is reasonable.

lesmisfan Sun 17-Mar-13 18:54:02

H&M are fantastic, reasonably long in the body, nice fabric and last forever.

Corygal Sun 17-Mar-13 19:58:37

Uniqlo. Or Primark.

SpringyReframed Sun 17-Mar-13 21:40:18

Uniqlo. Great cut, great price and wash very well.

abigboydidit Tue 19-Mar-13 19:06:03

Just got a H&M catalogue through the post with a free delivery code so was going to order a few as they look a good length & nice fit but notice they are jersey fabric. Does anyone know if its that awful thin, shiny stuff that clings to my belly & trouser waistband or the nicer jersey that sort of drapes? Thanks.

PullyWoolOver Tue 19-Mar-13 19:30:00

Just adding my 2p's worth! I started a thread about this very thing last week and was recommended long-sleeve tees from Peacocks. I bought a couple at the weekend and can report that they are nice thick cotton and long in the body. I need to check what happens post-washing but am quietly hopeful.

At £6 they are bargainous and certainly much nicer than the crap that I tried on in Gap grin

abigboydidit Tue 19-Mar-13 21:32:11

Peacocks? I thought they went bust?

ouryve Tue 19-Mar-13 21:40:29

Jersey is just the name for knitted fabric such as t-shirt fabric. Look for cotton or mostly cotton rather than polyester "modal", nylon or viscose (which is the stuff that looks great for 3 minutes, then creases like mad and goes baggy)

There's a Peacocks at Washington Galleries. I was pretty surprised to see it there. I never went in, since it looked like it was full of little more than cut price shiny leggings.

Bouncey Tue 19-Mar-13 22:07:23

Another vote for uniqlo. Good quality and lots of colours. Boden is also good, washes and wears well.

Suttonmum1 Tue 19-Mar-13 22:23:37

Sainsbury's have some short sleeved with Modal(?) cotton which feel like the ones that M&S have sporadically (but hardly ever when I'm there). Think they had white, green, blue and poss black. These are much nicer feel to the standard Primark/M&S ones.

cornsilkcremeeggspotter Wed 20-Mar-13 05:01:51

I bought one reduced in sainsburys yesterday for £3.75. Bargain!

littlepeas Wed 20-Mar-13 10:25:37

Isabella Oliver/Baukjen. I am still swearing long sleeved maternity t shirts from 4 years ago (not pregnant!) and they are by far the best I have ever owned. Expensive, but cost per wear will be ridiculously low. Size up for a nice, skimming fit.

Stevie77 Wed 20-Mar-13 11:32:14

Err, actually, Gap. They do do great cotton t shirts that are a good fit. Not sure which ones you ordered but try the Pure Body range.

I also like the Primark ones but find the quality has gone downhill (amazing! I know!) and they now shrink in the wash and the hems Frey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now