The Shopping Ban / Frugal Fashion Thread

(825 Posts)
FrugalFashionista Fri 08-Mar-13 08:03:35

Tentatively dipping my toes in here ---
Do you love clothes, shoes, accessories, and beauty products - perhaps a bit too much? wink
Have you self-prescribed a shopping ban, are you on a strict budget, or are you trying to learn to shop more mindfully for other reasons? Are you a budding recessionista, thriftionista, frugal fashionista - or would you like to become one?
Would you like to do this with like-minded people, still looking stylish and up to date?

This thread could be a place for mutual support, inspiration and creative tweaks (planning outfits from what you already have; charity shopping, swaps, repurposing).

My personal goal: no more clothes, shoe or beauty purchases in March.

I'll tell you more about why I am here in true 12-step tradition, but we need a few like-minded people first <arranging chairs in a circle> wink

SarahLouise1234 Tue 13-Aug-13 11:50:05

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

FrugalFashionista Sun 21-Apr-13 15:10:13

Talk continues on a new Frugal thread!

bleedingheart Sun 21-Apr-13 13:25:29

Is everybody busy revamping and colouring their clothes?
I've just finished a book In the Red by Alexis Hall, it's the diary of a shopaholic living a year without buying clothes and accessories etc in order to make a dent in her £30k debt. It's a bit like Save Karyn but Scottish. A lot of what she writes about -the high of the purchase followed by a slump, buying variations of what you already own, never wearing something to the point of it wearing out etc I can really relate to. It's a good light read.

FrugalFashionista Sat 13-Apr-13 11:37:06

I think the current UK fashion approach - Topshop, fast fashion, high street, street style, eclectic, casual - works well on 20sths but as we age we tend to need all the help we can get. That means good materials, structure and great cuts and the right proportions and colors. I think that's why many women in Northern Europe end up looking super frumpy - cagoules, trainers, scruffy fleeces and faded jeans sad Yes I own all of the above too - but working on it

I have mixed feelings about LA casual. It looks good on movie stars - anything looks good on them - and is great in sunny, balmy, car-and-beach-life focused LA. But if you translate it to harsher climates you often end up looking really off (they don't really understand coats, rainwear and cold/wet weather shoes). Plus it's not very gentle on someone who is aging. Personally I much prefer New York (they have real winters!) and continental (adult women dress well) style. But yes, it's very much a work in progress still!

Oh and imo smart planned purchases and clothes maintenance can be a very frugal approach to fashion grin

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 13-Apr-13 11:04:55

My yoga pants give me camel toe.

I only realised when I got back from posting a parcel. sad

scarlet76 Sat 13-Apr-13 10:54:16

Frugal really agree with the idea of maintaining fewer good pieces than the throw away fashion approach that seems to have gotten a grip here in the UK.
More and more in my 30s, I want an easy wardrobe of easy key pieces that work for me.
Have had a bit of a splurge this week but still more considered purchases. Boden got me with a hefty postal discount offer - new sunglasses on the way. Have also bought some relaxed skinnys to wear with sandals should summer ever arrive and some new running shoes - more of a necessity. But I am sticking to the rule that unless I love it, back it goes.

DigWeedSow Sat 13-Apr-13 10:51:10

I've been toying around with an idea this week and would love to get some feedback.

I work from home and most days wear my old jeans/tops, you know, the ones not good enough to go out in public but not quite ready for landfill grin. However I always feel scruffy (not that anyone sees me as all my work is done by telephone/email) and I was thinking about planning a kind of uniform, something simple and comfortable that could also be worn for nipping out to the shop or post office.

I was thinking of something along the lines of yoga type pants and coordinating jersey tops teamed with ballet flats. What do you think? Has anyone else tried this? I know that it's not particularly being frugal however as I'm now buying less I'm finding that I have fewer "mistakes" to wear up around the house and would rather not wear out my good stuff while I'm working at home!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 13-Apr-13 10:32:55

I'm just place marking. Good tip about the Dylon, lounging round the house jeans would look better in Indigo.

DigWeedSow Sat 13-Apr-13 10:24:07

Wow, what a completely different approach to style than we have here in the UK. I love the idea of maintaining fewer classic well chosen pieces rather than consuming more and more (as seems to be the norm here). This is definitely the way to go although I think I have a lot to learn on the personal style front!

The sun is shining here today at last although it is still chilly, would I be tempting fate to pack away my winter woollies smile

FrugalFashionista Sat 13-Apr-13 09:46:37

Just adding my 2 cents and saying that my neighborhood supermarkets routinely stock a variety textile dyes (local brand - color range more geared towards neutrals), wool and whites brighteners, mending supplies, an incredible variety of shoe polishing supplies as well as jewellery/silver/furnitune cleaners and polishes. People here are very affluent but not flashy - discreet chic is all about great maintenance. Plus many if not most people still use tailors and dressmakers (opting for a few really good items - perfectly fitted by a pro and hence very flattering - each year instead of a lot of cheaper clothes). For this reason, people are a bit reluctant to embrace trends. They change their sunglasses and bags but the wardrobes are not overhauled each year. So if you ever wondered how continental people manage to look so well turned-out, these are some of the secrets.

This is also a paradise for learning how to look super chic in your 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s... I've noticed that very young women tend to be very insecure with their style. They all dress in a copycat fashion looking virtually identical. More mature women (starting with the mothers at the playground, all in their late 30s and early 40s) have already learned their proportions and developed their personal style. There is no mum uniform, everybody dresses differently flattering their shapes, proportions and individual best features. I love studying people on the streets - am learning a lot. All this is to me what true style is all about...

Justonemorecardi Fri 12-Apr-13 22:23:25

Thank you - I'm going to have a lovely mooch in the craft shop tomorrow x

There was a lovely colour called something along the lines of burlesque red. It was a lovely rich purply red. I think it would have made a fab shade for a winter colour wearer or for bedding and towels. The darker greens are nice as well, also very rich and expensive looking. I'm not so keen on the lighter greens as they looked a little too bright for my tastes. They did, at some point also do a clothes/underwear brightener for whites. I'm not sure if it's still available but if it is, it's worth getting as it used to bring my white bras up far better than any bleach did.

Justonemorecardi Fri 12-Apr-13 22:09:51

So I should avoid anything with top stitching? Have you found any of the dylon colours particularly nice? - I've just used navy and black.

I love this thread - it's making me think about my clothes much more creatively. Love the altering and mending smile

Natural fibres tend to dye the best, 100% cotton and so on. Anything that's a half and half with things like polyester will dye but it will be a marl, washed out version of the colour. Stitching NEVER takes as the fibres are man made and plasticy so the dye can't get into them. denims and cottons are mostly what I dye and have had brilliant results so far. If you're unsure of colour, go for the lighter one first as it's easier to dye again in a darker colour than it is to bleach the colour out of materials.

Justonemorecardi Fri 12-Apr-13 21:59:16

i love the idea of dyeing but I've had mixed success, I dyed a jumper and that was fine, but anything with top stitching has been terrible - OneLittleLady do you have any tips on items you know will look good after and those that probably won't?

Ah, I don't tan at all, I just go a fetching shade of red. I have to absolutely drown myself in sunscreen or I end up lobster coloured. Even in the British summer!

CeeceeBloomingdale Fri 12-Apr-13 21:53:22

Dylon is fab, I think I have a few pairs of jeans that could do with some help around the knee area but I've thrown anyone out to the charity shop that doesn't work for me colourwise.

I think I'm a clear winter. I have very dark brown hair (or I did before I started dying it to hide the grey lol) and pale skin although I tan easily so have a totally different look then (I never tan my face now but thinking back to my yoof). Eyes are bright green, very contrasty. I can get away with most colours really, although a winter white is better than a persil white or cream. I also need to avoid citrus colours at all costs which isn't difficult.

No more purchases for me until May now, just coughed up for DD1s swimming lessons so that's me on bread and water until pay day.

Using dylon opens up a lot of possibilities for me. Often the clothes that will suit me shape wise are the wrong colour for me so the ability to dye them is good. Otherwise I'd have nothing that worked for me! Until I discovered dye, I used to dread clothes shopping when it was spring or summer as the pastels that are usually on offer just do nothing for me.

FrugalFashionista Fri 12-Apr-13 21:28:51

Yoni wink it's called 'The End of Fashion' and I can't put it down.
It's really insightful and has that type of cool unflinching analysis you'll never ever get from fashion magazines. A bit like Emperor's New Clothes but at least for me the angle is new and refreshing. Very well written too.
But you have to have to be interested in high fashion to really enjoy it.
This is a bit like a prequel to 'Overdressed' - how high fashion has died by changing consumer preferences but also because it has been cannibalized from the inside. But afaik it doesn't really talk about what's going on right now - the fast fashion/street style/blogger era is not covered here. This has more of an industry insider/marketing/business angle. 'Deluxe - How Luxury Lost Its Luster' is perhaps easier to approach for a more popular and down-to-earth take (pirated LV anyone?). All three books are excellent!

libertychick Fri 12-Apr-13 21:06:32

Agree Dylon is fab. Love refreshing old jeans with the indigo one and use it lot to pep up black trousers. Also brilliant for changing the colour of old towels and facecloths and making them look like new. I have also dyed bed linen.

YoniTime Fri 12-Apr-13 20:58:43

Frugal you can't just say that and not name the book! Is it in english?
(This is PretzelTime by the way)

I love dylon dyes. I often dye things that I like the style of that are bad colours to colours that suit me more. I'm particularly fond of dying things purple. I love love love anything purple.

FrugalFashionista Fri 12-Apr-13 18:04:26

Lovely talk ladies! Have spent all day outdoors, exhausted <fresh air poisoning> Lounging in Dylon-dyed old bootcuts (old faves, dyed them when their soft light wash started looking dated) and even older Havaianas. Summer has arrived!

Reading an excellent book on fashion. Myth-busting and more informative than 2+ decades of Vogue!

My best guess for myself is a clear winter. They seem to be the colours that work best for me anyway. I can just about get away with a very bright white but it has to be shop fresh. Once it starts fading it's no good for me. You're right about my skin tone though, I am very porcelain and have very bright blue/green eyes. My natural hair colour is a mid brown with red tones so very dark in comparison to my skin colour. During my more extreme goth days, I wore black hair dye very well!

DigWeedSow Fri 12-Apr-13 17:12:25

Ex goth here! Ex because I really did look like death warmed up in blackgrin I too am pale but sallow (sound lovely don't I!) I think if your skin tone is clear (porcelain as opposed to my yellow tone) black works very well.

I've just done the test on the colours page and think I've been getting it wrong!

I always assumed I was an Autumn (green eyes, chestnut hair) but looking at the quiz I come out as a soft summer.....argh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now