The Shopping Ban / Frugal Fashion Thread

(825 Posts)
FrugalFashionista Fri 08-Mar-13 08:03:35

Tentatively dipping my toes in here ---
Do you love clothes, shoes, accessories, and beauty products - perhaps a bit too much? wink
Have you self-prescribed a shopping ban, are you on a strict budget, or are you trying to learn to shop more mindfully for other reasons? Are you a budding recessionista, thriftionista, frugal fashionista - or would you like to become one?
Would you like to do this with like-minded people, still looking stylish and up to date?

This thread could be a place for mutual support, inspiration and creative tweaks (planning outfits from what you already have; charity shopping, swaps, repurposing).

My personal goal: no more clothes, shoe or beauty purchases in March.

I'll tell you more about why I am here in true 12-step tradition, but we need a few like-minded people first <arranging chairs in a circle> wink

I NEED some new jeans. they are going to be my one purchase this month as I really do need them. I have three pairs of jeans currently, two black pairs, one skinny, one bootcut and a cornflower blue pair of skinnies. I'm thinking more bootcuts but in blue. Ladies, is this justifiable?

FrugalFashionista Wed 20-Mar-13 17:42:28

Definitely OneLittleLady. Someone may even have a swappable pair if you give sizing info!

I'm a size 16-18 on the bottom half and short of leg but handy with wundaweb so can take things up.

ChablisLover Wed 20-Mar-13 18:11:52

Onelittlelady - I have Lots of jeans I'm clearing out.

Going to post on the mn swap board on Pinterest in the next few days

If you give sizing info I may have some to suit you.

shopafrolic Wed 20-Mar-13 18:14:12

32" leg ideally, can risk a 31 or a 33.....Chablis

A meaty 16-18, short legs but I'm willing to take things up, I'm handy with wundaweb and can sew a little so leg length is not really a problem.

ChablisLover Wed 20-Mar-13 20:46:28

Shop - will have a look tomorrow - only in the house and bed is calling me for a long much needed sleep

One littlelady - the jeans I'm selling would go up to a 32- about a 14.

Will list on the pin board and you can let me know

dixiejo Thu 21-Mar-13 09:02:07

Hello ladies – is there room for another one? I have skimmed the thread this morning and a lot of what has already been said has really struck a chord with me. I’m really trying to reign in my spending on clothes of late whilst at the same time trying to hone my personal style. I work full time and earn a decent salary since but, in the last 2 years, we have had a baby, moved house (to a money pit that I love but is soaking up a lot of time and money). So, there’s not a lot of spare cash around and I’m trying to be a bit more savvy with any purchases. Like a lot of others have said, I need to resist the urge of TKMaxx ‘bargains’ at £20-£30 a pop and save up for better quality items that I will take better care of and will serve me well.

I took the quiz that someone (I think it was FrugalFashionista) linked to up-thread and it turns out I am a ‘classic’. Which probably rings true but I think I also have a ‘dramatic’ side that I would like to nurture; I’d feel that like to be more experimental with colour or pattern. I had quite a big clear out before we moved house so I don't have too much to weed out but I do plan to spend a bit of time this weekend (in between tiling the kitchen!) examining my wardrobe, identifying any holes and sorting stuff out for ebay, the charity shop and also the MN pinterest board (if I can re-find the instructions about how to join!). I have been trying recently to make a bit more of an effort to dress smartly for work, rather than just throwing on the same uniform of smart neutral trousers and a pretty/colourful top. So, I shall probably try to restyle a couple of existing dresses and maybe keep a lookout for colourful knitwear (anyone have any tips on colour-blocking?).

I am currently trying to resist the urge to splurge on a pair of black Chelsea boots that I have been lusting after for a week or so. I think they’d be great with almost all the trousers in my wardrobe (except my wide legged trousers which I also love, Drywhite, enough though I am short) but March has been an expensive month already with my husband’s birthday. So, I’ve decided that if I still love them in April then they will be my one and only April clothes purchase.

Any styling advice for a short (5’3’’) size 12 (on a good day!) hourglass most gratefully accepted!

FrugalFashionista Thu 21-Mar-13 09:18:16

Welcome Dixie - you sound a lot like me actually! <fellow Classic Dramatic> PM Issimma your email address for board access!

Wearing CeeCee's glossy black snakeprint leather skirt today.

It goes with so many things in my wardrobe:

Because it's a dramatic high-impact item, I paired it with demure a graphite gray cashmere twinset + Max Mara gunmetal necklace + gray opaques + high heel Mary Janes (seeing a lot of them right now) + a black Zara cocoon coat. Great street feedback grin The Max Mara necklace is from winter sales this year (they are very well made and excellent value), cocoon coat current collection at Zara. The rest are old/neglected items.

It's too warm for wool, so I changed; now wearing my 2nd hand cream silk blouse + big smoke quartz silver cocktail ring, a Chinese cinnabar amulet, sheer black pois pattern pantyhose (sheer black is the look of the moment here - opaques seem to be on their way out) + pointy-toed sleek black tasseled wedges = perfection; when I go out again I can put on my cream circular cardigan or my nude feather vest. Feathers + snakeskin = great contrasting textures.

And it looks stunningly low-effort with my white linen/viscose mix tuxedo jacket (a bargain at 80% off from Zara summer sale last year) and the silk blouse.

Sorry about the detailed/self-absorbed post - just cannot quite believe how great the payoff from swapping, rooting around the wardrobe for forgotten items and some extra effort can be! <astounded> I have three quite glamorous outfits, perfect for spring grin Thank you CeeCee!

Oh and I cleaned some of my shoes and boots with baby wipes and then treated them with beeswax-based nourishing cream. Instant sheen, I think the shoes actually said "Thank you" grin

CeeceeBloomingdale Thu 21-Mar-13 09:23:21

Yay and swit swoo at you in the skirt. I'm loving all the swapping, great new staples and cash to buy new things from passing on bits that don't work for me. What's not to love?

I'm off clothes shopping with the hubby for the second day in a row (for him but I can't resist a look too). Yesterday I bought a pair of black skinnies for £5 in the M&S clearance and that was all (I have the khaki ones already so know it was £5 well spent). Today I am going to a huge shopping centre. I may make one or two small, considered purchases but I have something in my mind I would like online so will see what's in the shops first before deciding - I won't do both and I have a small budget to play with anyway. Must be diciplined!

CeeceeBloomingdale Thu 21-Mar-13 09:53:23

Oh and I've pulled out some old flared jeans from the back of my wardrobe wearing with a batwing bretton top that normally goes with skinnies and a leopard print scarf. Today the scarf is pea green so I don't look too sailor and as I'm wearing flares I can hide comfy boots under too - result!

Corygal Thu 21-Mar-13 12:22:33

I've got some straight leg James Jeans in a very dark blue in a 32.

I've never worn them. Anyone want? Will post pix later.

I've also got a thyroid problem & thus am nobly going to get rid of a lot of 7FAMs if anyone wants. 31 or 32.

dixiejo Thu 21-Mar-13 13:00:57

ooh, Corygal the James Jeans sound right up my alley.

shopafrolic Thu 21-Mar-13 13:26:42

Get them on the SwapBoard Cory they sound fab!

bleedingheart Thu 21-Mar-13 13:29:20

I love the sound of the grey, gunmetal and leather outfit Frugal!
I rescued a navy brushed cotton paper bag skirt by Whistles, a brown uniqlo cardigan and navy suede oversized bow ballet pumps. I have made a resolution to wear skirts or dresses at least twice a week instead of jeans all the time!

FrugalFashionista Thu 21-Mar-13 13:41:05

Sorry if I sound matronly but just had some stain removal success: hairspray lifts ballpoint ink (ruined white jacket ruined no more!) and vodka <externally wink > surprisingly effective on stained silk.

Relinking to Swapboard as lots of new fantastic stuff has been pinned!

Oh and S&B purchase-free for two weeks now. <yay! and thanks for your support> It's become the new normal and I'm actually enjoying the constraints - watch out Mothermirth I might actually join you at some point grin

Back for more style talk later, supposed to work <ducks>

dixiejo Thu 21-Mar-13 13:43:49

Your outfits sound super ceecee and frugal and make me eager to tackle my wardrobe over the weekend.
I think your resolution bleedingheart is a good one and its just the sort of thing I need to kick-start my 'dress smarter for work' regime!

corygal is 31/32 waist or leg length? If it's leg, I'd very much like to have a chat!

SparklyStream Thu 21-Mar-13 14:05:58

marking place - excellent!

mothermirth Thu 21-Mar-13 14:07:00

Holding out here Frugal (although the cashmere on the swap board is testing my resolve)… I've followed your lead and have also been delving into my wardrobe and revisiting old favourites. Not sure how this ban is going to work if summer happens though, as I have very little in the way of warm-weather clothes. Currently eyeing up some of my lovely silk unworn and discarded charity-shop dresses and wondering if shortening and hemming them would result in some wearable tops. smile

Corygal Thu 21-Mar-13 14:19:06

Hang on while I measure the jeans - 32 might well be both measurements. grin

James jeans are up - now to dive behind the bookshelf to find the 7FAMS sack. I've also got some unworn Citizens at 32 waist. They are 'distressed'.

Give me time, I'm so fat thanks to this thyroid I might get stuck...

ChablisLover Thu 21-Mar-13 18:39:07

Have added some more things to the swap board

I am going to list them for auction on eBay over weekend/ early next week as well so if there's something that's caught your eye let me know. Thought the mn ladies could have first refusal.

Once listed I will delete the pins so there's no confusion

FrugalFashionista Thu 21-Mar-13 21:11:04

Sorry about no posts - swapboard quite busy!

Dixie this thread has certainly helped me to come up with new looks.
Before becoming a frugalista you didn't see me wearing silver python grin And fashion mags are fun in an entirely new way - how can I recreate this look with what I already have?

Bleeding great resolution! I wore dresses throughout this winter, our house can be draughty but merino tights, sheepskin houseboots and some blankets kept me reasonably warm. Tall boots and long coats are excellent for warmth.

Mothermirth surely swapping doesn't count? wink

lurkingaround Thu 21-Mar-13 23:25:44

Hi all, checking in. Real life is getting in the way of posting, annoying when that happens!!!
Doing well, shopping-wise, a bit from the Swapboard. but that's sort of budget-neutral, eh? I am however, making a summer list blush, (only a few items, one already crossed off the list, not so bad) and I haven't bought anything yet. One of the side effects of being busy is no shopping time! Distraction distraction.

Loving all the shapes and style re-working chat. All sounds lovely.

I'm a bit envy of Frugal, and your warmer weather. It is freezing here. Hoping to catch up with the thread properly this weekend.

Matsikula Fri 22-Mar-13 15:07:30

Hello, I posted earlier and have been lurking since. I've been enjoying getting more wear out of things by looking for ideas on Pinterest.

The thing I am most proud of though is fixing things - a lot of darning to make a wool ribbed polo neck wearable again, and I have had an unworn skirt my mum bought me completely transformed by lopping several inches off it. It was a strange tulip/pencil hybrid with a horrible grannyish trim of bugle beads, but a lovely slubby wool/viscose/lurex fabric. It had been reduced from £200 to £20 in a closing down sale. Anyway, now I have chopped the ugly bit off it is a lovely shape and I can't wait to wear it as soon as it is warm enough.

Am slightly less proud of buying a Tommy Hilfiger denim jacket in TK Maxx today, but a spring/summer casual coat was on my list, and I don't have a denim jacket. Mysteriously enough, I didn't manage to find the classic yet sharp navy trench in size ten that is very top of my list in there as well.

One thing that has been lurking barely worn is another gift from my mother (even more of an overshopper than me) a lovely silk collarless lilac coloured blouse (fitted). Very much my shape, but not my colour as I don't know what to wear it with that won't make it look twee. Just black looks a bit drab somehow. Any suggestions how to wear it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now