Time for a new bra thread

(1000 Posts)
SorrelForbes Thu 21-Feb-13 14:36:31

I am officially a mad bra lady. I staged an intervention today in M&S in an attempt to stop a young lady buying a 36B. She was with her mum who told me her daughter was a size 12 and that's why they'd picked up a 36. I advised her to try a 30! I am now feeling a mixture of shame and pride.

They were like this shock confused

SorrelForbes Fri 01-Mar-13 19:43:54

AmazingDisgrace Well done. I quite fancy one in red now...

Ha ha I love it! I can't criticise with my polish bra ordering!

Murtette Do you know the name of the bra? If not, the style code is on the receipt. May be able to figure out if the bra style is the problem.

Bravissimo will usually exchange via mail order without extra charge if you call their customer services and say its too much hassle to travel back. I may be able to suggest an alternative style though if I know what you're wearing.

AmazingDisgrace Fri 01-Mar-13 21:42:35

I was swiped. I am almost depressed. angry

SorrelForbes Fri 01-Mar-13 22:15:07

Grrrrr, so annoying

AmazingDisgrace Fri 01-Mar-13 23:53:29

But.. I put on his favourite bra and showed him how it didn't fit. My husband will now buy in my actual size

SorrelForbes Fri 01-Mar-13 23:54:45

Result!

fiddlemethis Sat 02-Mar-13 07:15:20

Can I just ask what size you think I am? I measured myself firmly under the bust and it comes out at about 32 1/3 and when I leaned forward and measured it was 43". That seems like a massive difference! So what would I be?

Fiddlemethis, try a 32h to start with.

fiddlemethis Sat 02-Mar-13 07:52:37

wtaf?! Where could I buy a bra this size?

Ha ha, what are you wearing just now?! Try bravissimo, debenhams, john Lewis, leia, brastop, mycurvesandme to name but a few.

Limoncellolovely Sat 02-Mar-13 07:57:59

Hello all after reading this thread I have had the realisation that I too have been duped by the nice lady at M&S and have been wandering around in a 34B wondering why so many of my tops just look plain wrong !!!! Any way I have measured myself as30" around rib cage and 35" around bust could one of you lovely ladies give me a starting point as to what sort of sizes I should be trying please? eyes draw full of matching undies that all now need replacing

SorrelForbes Sat 02-Mar-13 08:00:44

Good morning SC

Goooooood Morning SF, fancy finding you over here!

LimonCelloLovely...start by trying a 30DD

Limoncellolovely Sat 02-Mar-13 08:12:25

Morning SC wow that's quite a departure from a 34B !!! Thanks for the advice.

NorthernNumpty Sat 02-Mar-13 11:29:48

So I have been on a mission in Debenhams this morning. I have bought a 30G in a Gossard and a 32G in a Gorgeous. I found the gorgeous came up small in the back. Couldn't get a 30 fastened.

I was very surprised with the difference scooping made, my sides are red but I have increased enormously in cup size!!!

(I am 31 back and 40 over to recap!)

I also think m'netters have been in my local store as it was very short of 30 backs!wink

The sale section was great though, loads of small back big cup sizes, I even saw 26's!!! My Gossard was reduced to £8.30

I tried on 30 bras to come away with two though, lots of trial and error. I will be a 30GG in Freya balconettes as I was coming out of the 30G with vigorous scooping! I think I will try ordering some on line now I have narrowed it down a bit!

Happy shopping ladies! Although I think bra shopping is almost as trying as jeans shopping!

Thank you for your help bra ladies, now to convert my size 8 friends wearing 34 backs! grin

Gorgeous does come up small, I have a 32 from there and am normally a 30 so that fits with what we've heard before. Glag to hear of another success story though

CelticPromise Sat 02-Mar-13 11:33:49

You're not wrong Northern it can be a trial, but easier once you know what size you're likely to be in different brands. Gorgeous do come up small. Glad you got something to fit!

SorrelForbes Sat 02-Mar-13 11:59:44

Excellent news Northen. I'm currently working on a very slim friend on mine via FB!

I've just come out from a bra shop and I'm a bit hmm . I know what size I need from this very thread! but the assistant told me as I'm pregnant my bra needs a fist full of room so I need to go up a back and cup size hmm surely not?

Fist full...bahahaha

I went up one back size in pregnancy. I got fitted at Bravissimo when I was about 12 weeks and had already gained over a stone, and the woman put me in a 32 rather than my usual 30 but fastened it on the tightest hook. She said this was the only time you should buy a bra on the tightest hook - that bra worked through my entire pregnancy.

Whilst you don't want to waste a ton of money, there is no point in buying something very unsupportive to "grow into." Given that you measure just under 30 I would try the 30 - a 30 fits me until I measure about 32, poss more.

I didn't think it sounded quite right. I only plan on buying two bras as I know they won't fit for long. but surely I need to be supported. not buying something to grow in to. I'm off to house of Fraser

FierceBadIggi Sat 02-Mar-13 12:39:27

I haven't made it in to Debenhams yet, but wondering what those of you who've done it reccommend - taking several sizes of the same bra in? Or several different bras, but all in same size? I'm going to need a notepad to know what needs bigger cup, smaller back etc!
I hate the thought off getting dressed each time and the look I'll be getting from the assistants.. But looking forward to the result!

I'd maybe chose a 3 or so styles and taking in a few sizes in each to try and narrow it down. Once you've got the ballpark right then do a second run for lots of bras in a smaller range of sizes?

NorthernNumpty Sat 02-Mar-13 13:05:53

Now frantically retweeting @bra_guru campaign. M&S appear to have noticed @bra_guru's tweets- some tiny seed of hope...??!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.