Moisturiser with SPF30 or more

(60 Posts)
HollyMadison Thu 14-Feb-13 07:17:14

Hi lovely ladies. I'm 36 with fairly dry skin on my face and loads of sun damage from too much time on the beach as a kid sad. I live in a hot country and really need to wear at least factor 30 on my face (my dermatologist says it should be factor 50). I find I spend money on lovely moisturiser/day cream but then end up putting a sun block on top which is thick and oily and clogs up my skin.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good day moisturiser with high SPF? Although I'm not in the uk I think I can probably find all the international brands here. Thanks!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 15-Feb-13 14:31:08

I use a Clarins facial sunblock in the summer. It is expensive but very light and non-greasy. My foundation also has an SPF in it, although only 15.

I think Roc do something too.

Glossynotflossy Fri 15-Feb-13 19:50:15

Yes foundation with a spf. I dont wear foundation soayne start a new thread

Glossynotflossy Fri 15-Feb-13 19:55:39
JumpHerWho Fri 15-Feb-13 20:50:20

Benefit - their new foundation is really nice and is SPF25.

this one - I've tried it and it's lovely.

Cerealqueen Fri 15-Feb-13 22:14:24

Olay have a new Complete Care one with SPF 30.

JumpHerWho Fri 15-Feb-13 22:21:17

You have to reapply sun protection though so surely best to apply just before going out? I put on my day moisturiser as soon as out of the shower, don't apply my makeup and/or City Block until just before going out. This makes me think keeping sun protection separate from standard daily moisture is better.

TheLibrarianOok Fri 15-Feb-13 22:51:58

The city block type things from Clinique and others are not a substitute for proper sunscreen. I think they should have to mke this very clear on the packaging but they don't because they are sold as moisturisers with an SPF. They don't carry the UVA and UVB screening info that sun screens do. When pushed, the clinique slaesperson did admit that they weren't a substitute but only after I'd shown her my skin cancer scar and told her I had to be very careful grin

My dermatologist recommended Sun Sense too.

If anyone's brave enough, try a city block on one arm and a sunscreen with the same SPF on the other and lie in the sun for a few hours. Your arms will not be the same colour at the end of it.

Daffyboobface Fri 15-Feb-13 22:58:16

Lurking. Was going to post this very question.

Not exactly an answer but the Lancôme genefique facial sunscreen is amazing, but recently, I have been thinking should just get moisturiser which includes sunscreen and hopefully save myself some cash...

ZacharyQuack Fri 15-Feb-13 23:53:03

TheLibrarian - Clinique say their City Blocks are broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreens here. Perhaps the sales person you spoke to was referring to a different product.

JumpHerWho Sat 16-Feb-13 00:02:46

TheLibrarian - I think that advice is a bit dodgy. Clinique city block is what it is - SPF 40 - you perhaps terrified the orange lady, but it's a sciencey fact - you can't stick a random SPF on a bottle of potion if it isn't correct. If it says spf40 then it will do exactly the same job of a Soltan spf40. Or you could sue them, and y'know, it's not worth their while...

bloggingvirgin Sat 16-Feb-13 09:34:50

I have used Clinique City Block for 25 years and it works- I have no wrinkles in my mid 50s.

I use a good moisturiser first then City Block then foundation.

You've got to realise though that no SPF product lasts all day- so if you apply it at 8am and are out in really hot sun, the protection won't last all day- just the same as if you apply sun cream on the beach.

In really hot weather I've changed to Sun Sense spf 50 - even my DH uses it so it doesn't look overly " tinted" even though it has a slight colour to it.

bloggingvirgin Sat 16-Feb-13 09:36:50

Librarian- the Clinique City Block does come with both UVA and UVB high ratings- look at their website for info- or the same info is on the leaflet in the product.

It's definitely not sold as a moisturiser- I think you must have confused the asst or something!

FellatioNels0n Sat 16-Feb-13 09:52:44

I have that Elizabeth Arden one, and it is definitely more of a sunblock than a moisturiser. I have exactly the same problem as you OP -my skin is becoming congested and grainy from so many heavy gunks on it all day every day! I am giving my face a bit of break, but it means I am only wearing a normal spf15 moisturiser at the moment, which is not enough.

Lately I have been using Bobbi Brown's factor 35 BB cream over a standard spf 15 moisturizer. It is part foundation, part lightweight sunblock and I love it. It does feel and look like more of a foundation though.

I also have an spf 50, lightweight tinted sunblock from Bioderma. It gives a more sunkissed and less made-up look than the Bobbi Brown BB cream.

TheLibrarianOok Sat 16-Feb-13 10:55:42

fair enough. I'll happily ask my dermatologist when I go back in a couple of weeks. I don't mind being wrong but I'd rather take his advice than not iyswim. Will report back.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 16-Feb-13 11:00:00

Librarian City Block is good stuff, I find it too heavy for my face but the protection is excellent.

Looking online, La Roche-Posay do an spf 50 which is in stock at Boots. I haven't used it, but I have used other products of theirs and they are always good. It is £16, so not hugely expensive.

AuntieMaggie Sat 16-Feb-13 11:10:25

I tried this last summer and was really impressed with the coverage it gave me as well as it having SPF35 and I have oily skin. However having read Librarians comments will now be looking for a one stop shop with UVA/UVB protection if I can this summer though I tend not to be out in the sun that often except on days off/the odd BBQ as I work long hours in an office... hopefully we'll have a better summer this year though...

AuntieMaggie Sat 16-Feb-13 11:22:11

Alibaba how does the La Roche-Posay sit under makeup?

I have some skin darkening on my face due to medication/sun reaction so I need to take extra care now not to make it worse... sad

I have oily skin in the summer so if anyone can give me any advice about combining spf with something that doesn't make my face shiny I'd appreciate it.

I've been wearing a No7 foundation that has SPF15 during the winter as I spend very little time outside but am now thinking this may not be enough?

Mewsical Sat 16-Feb-13 19:21:21

£10 for Elizabeth Arden is very good value but read one of the reviews. I have had fake products buying from Amazon before....always refunded, but disappointing nevertheless.

I have just bought Clinique city block for this year.

Mac prep and prime I found quite ultraviolet at first, then the whiteness disappeared to nothing (SPF 50).

La Roche Posay tinted one is OK if a little too tinted for my pale skin (SPF 50).

Anyone tried the Mac Prep and Prime BB cream at SPF 35??

FellatioNels0n Sun 17-Feb-13 05:34:06

Is the Mac Prep and Prime spf 50? shock I have some it says nothing about any SPF at all. I only use it as a primer for underneath foundation, and as I am usually wearing BB cram in the daytime it only gets used for evening make up really. I would never think of using it by itself as a sunblock. confused

Maybe they have reformulated it and added the SPF since I bought mine?

Isandri Sun 17-Feb-13 14:40:30

Chanel UV ESSENTIEL spf50. It's in a small bottle but lasts forever. It's hard to find in the UK but is always in big British airports.

chanel

LaTrucha Sun 17-Feb-13 15:13:20

Elizabeth Arde one is good. No problems with whiteness. Smells a bit but does the job.

ujjayi Sun 17-Feb-13 15:36:46

Another vote for Chanel Essentiel UV. I mainly use it under tinted moisturiser when skiing.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 17-Feb-13 15:38:22

Dermalogica do a fab SPF 40 tinted moisturiser.

JumpHerWho Sun 17-Feb-13 16:47:52

KenDodd couldn't find that - on their website there's only a SPF 20 one, and the highest SPF they do in any of their products is SPF 30.

Had to laugh ujjayi - I'm sure that wasn't a stealth boast but Chanel and skiing in the same post <applauds> grin

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 17-Feb-13 17:20:51

The one I have is a couple of years old blush,I only use it in hols.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now