Moisturiser with SPF30 or more

(60 Posts)
HollyMadison Thu 14-Feb-13 07:17:14

Hi lovely ladies. I'm 36 with fairly dry skin on my face and loads of sun damage from too much time on the beach as a kid sad. I live in a hot country and really need to wear at least factor 30 on my face (my dermatologist says it should be factor 50). I find I spend money on lovely moisturiser/day cream but then end up putting a sun block on top which is thick and oily and clogs up my skin.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good day moisturiser with high SPF? Although I'm not in the uk I think I can probably find all the international brands here. Thanks!

Glossynotflossy Thu 14-Feb-13 08:07:41

I think that my moisturuser from origins is factor 30 but i can't be sure.

Not a moisuriser but clipique do something called city block. Could that be an option?

plentyofsoap Thu 14-Feb-13 08:09:29

Hi Ive just purchased city block by clinique which im using as a primer? I have very sensitive skin which is dry and its excellent. With clinique foundation over it, its quite high protection.

OddBoots Thu 14-Feb-13 08:14:23

I use an Aussie one, SunSense Daily SPF50+ it is very, very slightly tinted and has a matt finish. It works well for me and my combo skin but it wouldn't work if you have very dry skin.

Eliza22 Thu 14-Feb-13 08:43:37

oddboots is it this one?

http://www.crawfordhealthcare.com/online_shop/?pid=10 ?

Eliza22 Thu 14-Feb-13 08:44:36

Damn.... Can't do link. Is it £24.99? Does the tint stop that awful white cast you get with most facial high SPF factors?

OddBoots Thu 14-Feb-13 08:54:57

I think that is a new and better variety of the one I use - I've been using mine for years so I have the original one but I think I might move on to that one next time I buy one. I get mine from Amazon as a 'subscribe and save' as it's cheaper but I know some people don't like to buy from there.

OddBoots Thu 14-Feb-13 08:55:26

And yes, the tint is just enough to stop the white effect. smile

ZacharyQuack Thu 14-Feb-13 09:09:02

I really like Aveeno moisturiser, it's SPF 30.

EarlyInTheMorning Thu 14-Feb-13 09:19:25

I second Clinique City Block. It does not do the 'white thing' and it works great as a primer. It comes in 25 and 50 spf and at £16 I think it is really reasonable. It goes on top of your moisturiser though, not instead.

Eliza22 Thu 14-Feb-13 09:23:39

Earlyinthemorning don't you find that your face ends up all sloppy? Especially if you wear foundation atop? (Nosey Parker here, signing off!)

Eliza22 Thu 14-Feb-13 09:24:04

Sloppy??? Shiney....SHINEY!

EarlyInTheMorning Thu 14-Feb-13 09:31:52

Eliza I have been using the 25 spf for many years. I apply my moisturiser, let it dry, then the city block, let it dry, and then my oil free foundation. It is important to let each layer set for at least 5 minutes. I don't find any sloppiness, greasiness or shine. When winter is over I'll switch to 50spf. I think I might find that a bit greasier but I'm not sure just yet.

Pinkglow Thu 14-Feb-13 10:31:58

In the summer I use the bodyshop VitC one which is factor 30 and then the clienque city block on top. On holiday when its really hot I also put a layer of ultrasun face suncream under all that - its loads but I have pale skin and burn really easily.

jenny99 Thu 14-Feb-13 11:02:33

I have fairly dry skin and have recently started using kiehls abyssine moisturiser which is AMAZING. It's only got an SPF 23 but just thought I'd mention it anyway....

JumpHerWho Thu 14-Feb-13 12:05:06

I use Clinique City Block on non makeup days, the factor 40 one (it's 25 or 40, not 50) and tbh it does have a slight whitish cast, but overall I like the texture, it's oil free.

Not quite sure how effective putting it on just once in the morning under foundation is, you're meant to top up throughout day to get the full SPF with any sun protection.

The highest factor foundation out there is the new Benefit one - 'Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow' at factor 25, so I might switch from my beloved YSL to that for the summer.

RSVP Thu 14-Feb-13 12:35:02

When I am in Greece (several months a year) I always swap my moisturizer for Elizabeth Arden Sun Defense for Face It's factor 50. I absolutely love the stuff!!

HollyMadison Thu 14-Feb-13 14:49:46

Thanks so much ladies. City Block seems to be popular, although I'm not sure about topping up over the course of the day as I do tend to wear some foundation. Although if I'm out in the sun I do tend to wear a hat. I might see if I can find the Elizabeth Arden one here and have a try. Thanks again smile

MrsSnow Thu 14-Feb-13 15:05:55

I use this one when I have to be in the sun a lot. I find it feels very light
[[ http://www.kiehls.co.uk/skin-care/by-concern/healthy-skin/ultra-light-daily-moisturizer-spf-50.aspx Kiels ]]

MrsSnow Thu 14-Feb-13 15:06:28
TheBuskersDog Thu 14-Feb-13 17:57:04

The Elizabeth Arden one is £10.00 on Amazon at the moment.

Glossynotflossy Thu 14-Feb-13 18:18:46

What about a foundation that has spy toiL?

RSVP Thu 14-Feb-13 22:27:24

thanks buskers!
usually buy it from the airport, but 10 quid is dead cheap...

HollyMadison Fri 15-Feb-13 14:25:20

Unfortunately amazon don't deliver to where I live sad. Glossy, do you mean a foundation with SPF in it? That would be good too. Do you have a recommendation?

HollyMadison Fri 15-Feb-13 14:27:15

That looks good too Mrssnow. I will check that out too. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now