Dress for a Ball needed

(44 Posts)
sailorsgal Thu 07-Feb-13 15:57:42

Looking for a WOW dress. Not black. I like the phase eight Paloma dress in scarlett. Where else should I look? smile

I'm 5ft 6 and a size ten.

AWimbaWay Thu 07-Feb-13 21:26:20
MechanicalTheatre Thu 07-Feb-13 21:37:59

The Eliza J one is way too frumpy.

If I were going to a ball, I'd be tempted to go for something like Tina Fey wore at the Golden Globes. Not sure where you could get something like it, but I think it's stunning:

Tina Fey

sailorsgal Fri 08-Feb-13 09:19:06

I like both of those though I doubt I would fit into the XS Ghost dress. I must add that I am nearly fifty so don't want to look like mutton dressed as lamb. grin

Geordieminx Fri 08-Feb-13 15:01:04

I've ordered the biba one... I shall report back tomorrow grin

sailorsgal Fri 08-Feb-13 16:28:59

Geordiminx Yes please do!

Have been to a kettlebell class today incase I have to have my arms on show. grin

Geordieminx Sat 09-Feb-13 14:20:16

I'm back!

Right biba was lovely bit really poor quality..ordered 2 sizes, tried both on in store and they were both coming away at zip. This is mentioned by a couple of people on reviews section o. House of Fraser website. If it had been a £30 number I would have stitched but not £300 !

Eliza was lovely. Not me but then I'm 30.. Very classy and different. Both lengths very nice

sailorsgal Sat 09-Feb-13 15:20:21

Geordiminx thats a shame. What are you going to wear?

Interesting about the Eliza J dress. It does have good reviews and wonder whether its better on than off.

There is a couple of dresses on Damsel in a Dress but they don't have my size.

Geordieminx Sat 09-Feb-13 17:36:57

I bought this which looks fab on. Clings in all the right places, good cleavage and a lot more sensible at 1/3 of the price. Really pleased with it

sailorsgal Sat 09-Feb-13 17:54:53

I was going to buy exactly the same one!! In Navy. Is it true to size?

Geordieminx Sat 09-Feb-13 18:05:34

Because of the material it's actually very generous so would size down. It's very flattering and comfortable

sailorsgal Sat 09-Feb-13 18:07:34

We have established we are not going to the same function Geordiminx? grin

Geordieminx Sat 09-Feb-13 18:19:12

Mines in Glasgow...

sailorsgal Sat 09-Feb-13 20:13:34

Opposite end of the country.

MarianForrester Sat 09-Feb-13 20:28:31

Just popped backing to see how if was going and love that JS collections one. Looks like a wow dress smile

sailorsgal Sun 10-Feb-13 10:44:45

I have ordered one from Alexon which is one shoulder. It is reduced from £180 to £54 grin Will see what it is like on and have the JS as a back up.

Will try a link

www.alexon.co.uk/en/one-shoulder-maxi-dress-29027 Might not be a WOW dress but appropriate for the occasion.

sailorsgal Sun 10-Feb-13 10:45:51

I put the link in brackets but still didn't work. blush

Geordieminx Sun 10-Feb-13 10:47:23

Link doesn't worksad

I know what you mean about " wow dress" v "appropriate (financially and for the occasion). The biba dress was lovely but not worth the price and really although its a good friends' ball it's just a night out.. It's not like its my wedding or anything. grin

sailorsgal Sun 10-Feb-13 10:55:43

Exactly Geordieminx, I have a stunning dress a bought for the same ball two years ago but have only worn it the once. I was going to have my wedding dress dyed so I could wear it again. I looked at the hire dresses but would worry that I spilt something or similar.

sailorsgal Sun 10-Feb-13 10:58:01

And Yes, will have to accessorize and am having my nails and hair done etc, so its an expensive night on top of taxis, drinks and the auction. Spent about £600 last time. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now