What is the single best thing you've ever done for your skin?

(77 Posts)
SueFawley Mon 21-Jan-13 18:37:55

This could be a dietary or lifestyle change, or a product that really made an improvement.

GobblersSparklyExplodingKnob Tue 22-Jan-13 12:23:08

Gave up sugar and white carbs, it takes years off of your skin.

cerealqueen Tue 22-Jan-13 12:15:31

Sunsreen on my face from about 20, regular exfoliation. Have yet to meet my holy grail of moisturiser so reading with interest!

Bella88 Tue 22-Jan-13 11:28:31

Retin A and sunblock.

valiumredhead Tue 22-Jan-13 10:06:33

Discovering The Body Shop's Aloe range.

Curtsey Tue 22-Jan-13 08:25:51

Great thread. I'm getting married in 4 months and would do anything to have clear ish skin. Going to up my intake of fish oils (already helping a little I think) and water and do everything I can to cut back on sugar and caffeine. I think caffeine is the real problem for me even though I just have 1-2 cups a day. I am totally addicted and weak sad

Being born into a family of beautiful skinned people helps. smile my mum has hardly a wrinkle and she is 72

Also not being very thin any more. sad my face looks better a little plumper

bigkidsdidit Tue 22-Jan-13 07:53:25

I really like Imedeen and Acai tablets daily

Ad astral at night (but I have very very dry skin)

This thread is b interesting. Is there such a thig as an independent skin care adviser? Like pensions but more important grin

knitknack Tue 22-Jan-13 07:37:50

Give up sugar
Take fish oils

akaemmafrost Tue 22-Jan-13 05:22:05

Drink two litres of water everyday.
Running.
Using Clarins products since early 20's.
Don't drink alcohol.

I look a lot younger than I am and out it down to the above.

Labootin Tue 22-Jan-13 04:16:12

Nuts and seeds as snacks rather than crisps and cutting back on alcohol

Piemother Tue 22-Jan-13 03:38:58

Oh and bb cream. I use the Garnier one instead of foundation and there's no going back for me it really balances out my oily skin and looks lighter and fresher. All the foundation I bought over the years were all crap in comparison grin

chicaguapa Mon 21-Jan-13 22:59:31

I consciously keep my face out of the sun and have always moisturised since I started with a skin care routine in my teens, but not with expensive creams. Interesting comment about the sunglasses too as I always wear them and don't have many lines.

I am 40 and people always think I'm 10 years younger. <stealth boast>

I don't drink any enough water though.

BestIsWest Mon 21-Jan-13 22:56:14

YY to Walnuts/almonds.

dontyouwantmebaby Mon 21-Jan-13 22:48:50

last but not least:

- eat a handful of walnuts & an apple/some slices of apple every day (or as frequently as you can manage). gives beautiful, glossy skin (& hair).

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 21-Jan-13 22:47:19

My skin is basically pretty good and I've got no lines around my eyes at all - I'm 35.

I am using rosehip oil and Elemis, and Liz Earle to cleanse and this really does suit my skin.

BUT - I have been either pregnant or BFing for over 5 years, and DS2 is really cutting back on the BF now, he will be 2 in March. My skin is suffering, partly I think because I've put a bit of weight back on <sigh> I'm really hoping that it is a short phase and then things balance out again. Because I have spots, and my skin is dry and greyish and tired looking.

Bleugh.

dontyouwantmebaby Mon 21-Jan-13 22:41:29

in no particular order:

- keep out of the sun/use SPF
- cleanse face using soap (unperfumed) & warm water, spritz with cold water, pat dry with clean towel.
- get as much sleep as you possibly can.
- don't over-do diet of fatty foods/chocolate/pastries/processed rubbish.
- remove eye-make up using cotton pads & baby oil. depending on skin type, use moisturiser e.g. baby lotion/astral/liz earle basic moisturiser, whatever suits your skin type and budget.
- witch hazel/water spritz once in a while (keeps spots at bay)
- don't believe that the more expensive the product, the better it is for your skin. it's not.
- steer clear of hyped-up, 'miracle' claims, beauty treatment fads.
- never take up smoking. it puts YEARS on you.

QuinnFabray Mon 21-Jan-13 22:34:00

Yes, the sugar thing absolutely.

JumpHerWho Mon 21-Jan-13 22:26:39

Cut out sugar and unnecessary carbs and watch your skin glow.

GeordieCherry Mon 21-Jan-13 21:49:01

Water water water

Microdermabrasion & chemical peels

Wearing SPF 30 every day

Packing in smoking

Massively reducing caffeine

Sleep

MissPB Mon 21-Jan-13 21:48:05

I had hormonal spots on my jawline and lower cheeks - just a few every month but they really hurt and took ages to go down. I have been taking agnus castus tablets every day since September and within a couple of months my spots cleared. I am convinced it is the agnus castus.

Now I need to get going with cleanser & hot cloth routine!

OCM/SPF and botox

orangeandlemons Mon 21-Jan-13 21:34:55

I don,t have lines round my eyes, but never wear sunglasses as have to wear specs and cba or afford reactolite lenses

AngryFeet Mon 21-Jan-13 21:16:49

My friend told me semen was the best thing for skin. I think she lies and her DH is a little bugger.

ProlificWillyBreeder Mon 21-Jan-13 21:14:55

always sleeping what's the soap and glory cloth like?

Other than the caffeine and ingredients I can't pronounce what is diet coke doing to my face?

lurkingaround Mon 21-Jan-13 21:12:07

Roaccutane, without a doubt.
Daily SPF 50
My few Fraxels. (Would love more, but expensive)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now