I have a hairy face, I do!

(34 Posts)
HeyHoHereWeGo Fri 18-Jan-13 18:40:31

I have had years of electrolysis - I find it crazy painful, it is not in any way permanent, I have to leave the hairs get long enough to do, and it gives me spots.

When lasers first came out I spent hundreds having laser - I knew even as they did it that it was rubbish - a half- hearted job to say the least - I dont know if lasers have improved or did I just pick a rubbish salon?

I currently tweeze but I do know that I am only get the dark ones and leaving the very obvious fuzz.

I waxed for years but with newborn its hard to get to salon.

I tried homewax strips once and it took me an hour to pluck up the courage to pull the strip.

So what do I do?
I have a moustache, a hairy chin, sideburns, the lot.

(inspired by the dont bleach your tache thread - yes I have bleach in the bathroom I admit)

Eliza22 Sun 20-Jan-13 18:31:02

Kate and me and the hairy Billy Goat Gruff chin.... The only thing we have in common. grin

oliviafrombolivia Sun 20-Jan-13 18:02:52

Before threading I take strong painkillers, takes the edge off a bit!

freerangeeggs Sun 20-Jan-13 17:01:36

Also - look how hairy Kate Winslet's face is! Makes me feel better. Kate Winslet is a babe.

freerangeeggs Sun 20-Jan-13 16:57:08

I find plucking makes them thicker. I have a really fuzzy face, though it's all very light coloured. The ones I pluck regularly are now dark and thick and grow in like stubble.

I was thinking of electrolysis - I thought it was supposed to be permanent?

Eliza22 Sun 20-Jan-13 14:53:18

Hmmm...so, plucking makes 'em thicker?

holidaysrcoming Sat 19-Jan-13 12:32:59

I have bleached for years, have a fine blonde tache but I do think that is a lesser evil than - spots from cream (always irritates me) regrowth from wax, which if my chin is anything to go by, will be darker and not much finer.

I have come to the conclusion that it's hormonal and no matter how you get rid of, the hormones will produce more. I read that even with laser the follicles are only damaged, and they eventually recover, in some people quicker than others. By the time I'm 60 I'll be a man.

HeyHoHereWeGo Sat 19-Jan-13 11:57:32

So Lumea does work people feel?
I'll google it now and look for reviews.
I have the fuzz but also the black wirey ones. I concentrate on the big black ones but it means I have stopped seeing the fuzz.
A child asked me once if I was a man because I had a moustache!!!!

Salbertina Sat 19-Jan-13 10:29:50

Depends on skill of threader also not doing at TOTM or just before. Waxing hell for me so guess we're all different.

Dancergirl Sat 19-Jan-13 10:25:50

Threading is soooo painful, much more so than waxing which is quick.

Salbertina Sat 19-Jan-13 10:12:10

I know, its a bugger, isn't it? Eliza, from yr name had you down as a mere slip of a thing but you're around my age smile
I find the wand makes it no worse/no better, unlike plucking which seems yo increase hairs.

GunsAndRoses Sat 19-Jan-13 10:11:13

I have my peach fuzz and eyebrows threaded and the results are fab.

Eliza22 Sat 19-Jan-13 09:59:31

Thing is... I'm very fair and what was once downy and barely noticeable is now, at 50+ and in a certain light, quite fluffy! I'm nervous though, cause I pluck one hair on my chinny chin chin and I've noticed, over time, that that fine blonde wisp is now THICKER and BROWN confused.

Friends tell me I'm daft and its not that bad.... My mother tells me she wonders where I get it from and I should DO something!!

Izpie Sat 19-Jan-13 09:55:13

No, have never attempted to remove facial hair before (apart from tweezering the occasional dark wirey one) but have been wanting to for a while now.

Going to take the plunge and try the epicare wand thing - philips lumea way to expensive for me.

Salbertina Sat 19-Jan-13 09:51:28

Eliza, no!! Buy a wandy thing (epicare) for about £10 online! Really works

Eliza22 Sat 19-Jan-13 09:43:40

Philips Lumea.... Erm.... The one at £450??? shock

Guess ill just have to stick with the peach fuzz and embrace it!

Salbertina Sat 19-Jan-13 08:23:22

Those reviews i mentioned were for the ipl. Wand works v well, i imagine for everyone as not dependent on skin/hair colour...obv not permanent tho

defineme Sat 19-Jan-13 08:21:38

Have you hormonal issues? My hair is affected by being overweight and what contraceptive I'm using.

TheWombat Sat 19-Jan-13 08:16:39

Well, so far I've only used the wandy thing once so far. But re growth seems to be like waxing - very fine because the hairs were pulled out at the root. I read the reviews and it doesn't seem to suit everyone / but in my view it's worth a try smile

Salbertina Sat 19-Jan-13 06:45:11

Wand no prickly effect at all! Just like after threading, if you've tried?

Salbertina Sat 19-Jan-13 06:43:39

Ok intrigued so googled reviews-
Which was critical said didn't make difference over 2 months
Argos had some user reviews, 86% positive tho 1 mentioned NOT to be used on face?
Telegraph - positive review

Izpie Sat 19-Jan-13 06:43:16

Can anyone share what regrowth is like after using the thready wand on the fuzzy bits & moustache. I've got quite a bit of fuzz and want to get rid but worry about being prickly or the hairs growing darker- am assuming with threading you need a reasonable amount of regrowth before you can use it again?

Lavenderhoney Sat 19-Jan-13 06:42:20

I would go to a salon that does threading. Enquire how long the beautician has been threading and ask around for the best person. It makes a hell of a noise but they will get all the hair off quite painlessly. Lasts about 6 weeks.

Salbertina Sat 19-Jan-13 06:29:58

Agree with first but self-use without training of laser??
Ive got the thready wandy thing, as mrntioned below. Works v well. But yet in theory wd love more permanent solution

StupidFlanders Sat 19-Jan-13 06:27:07

Please don't wax or cream! Try the Phillips lumea.

Salbertina Sat 19-Jan-13 05:50:01

Really pinkflop? Always wondered..read so much about issues of (lack of) training w these laser gadgets by beauty industry so be nervous to let myself loose with it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now