Anyone want to loose just a few pounds, lets support eachother?

(201 Posts)
Madmog Mon 07-Jan-13 14:23:57

I followed the loose half a stone for Xmas thread which I found really helpful. I lost 5.5lbs and put 2.5lbs back on over Xmas. I'm quite small boned and few pounds really makes the difference, but I need encouragement to get just a little more off (4/5lbs so I hit the overall over half stone mark would be good for me) and keep it off.

Is there anyone out there who wants to loose just a few pounds up to a stone, who'd like to join me on this thread? We could record our losses or failures once a week and give general support and advice if we have any.

headforthemoon Tue 08-Jan-13 00:16:57

During the last 3 months of last year I lost about 10lbs and I'm almost the size and shape I want to be for the first time ever.

This is how I did it, and continue to do it:

I buy the Cambridge diet drinks, but don't use them in the conventional way. I use them as snacks ie rather than pop into Costa for coffee and cakes when out shopping I'll have a shake often in the changing rooms

The same if I'm out and about in the car - rather than stop at a garage and buy three bars of chocolate, I'll have a shake.

Mealwise I have porridge, at all times of the day, not just for breakfast, and a stirfry of loads of veg and a bit off chicken or fish.

If theres a cake etc around that I fancy, I have a little bite and give the dog the rest he's not complaining.

This way of eating works for me.

Beaverfeaver Tue 08-Jan-13 00:38:24

I have had MFP for a while now but not logged in for months.

Just entered my daily eats onto it and it says I've only consumed 886 calories!

Its really strange as when I was last using it I was struggling to eat less than 1500 and I feel totally full and satisfied today.

Breakfast:
crumpet with lurpak light
Cup of peppermint tea

Lunch:
Plain bagel with low fat philly
2x clementines
Diet coke can

Dinner:
Homemade chicken jalfrezi and basmati

Other snacks:
Walkers squares
Water
Cups of peppermint tea

sarahlundssweater Tue 08-Jan-13 06:37:40

Can I join? I weigh 63kg, and want to get down to 60kg (what I was before DCs).
I'm still a size 10-12, but my tummy is not as flat as it used to be, and I eat too much chocolate. I just joined MFP, I like the food log bit, it makes me not want to eat junk. I've also started couch to 10k this week too.

QueenCadbury Tue 08-Jan-13 08:21:50

Inspired by yu lot I've also just joined mfp. I've managed to gain half a stone over Xmas and am disgusted with myself as everything is now too tight. I want to lose it by half term as we're going away. One of the key things for me is portion control. It's amazing how the calories add up by having a large rather than small portion. Back to walking the school run today which is good. I'm queencadbury on mfp. I'll try and befriend some of you later.

agadoo Tue 08-Jan-13 08:29:34

I have managed to gain half a stone over xmas because I didn't exercise due to an ankle sprain. I'm 79 kg and I want to be 63....Man 16 kg (2.5 stones) to lose, do you think I can lose that in 6 months ?

I'm running 3 times a week (very slowly) and I have started the gym..will post a bit more about what I eat later. Good luck for today !

Joycey29 Tue 08-Jan-13 08:34:04

Yay - lost 4lb - am so happy!!

fedupofnamechanging Tue 08-Jan-13 09:53:54

Good morning everyone. I am starting 5/2 today. This is my first fast day. Am aiming for 600 calories today and 1500 on 'normal' days. I am a bit worried about this because I tend to binge when I am hungry (yesterday I ate nearly a whole box of chocolate mini rolls).

Am trying out my new espresso maker in the hope that tons of coffee will keep me away from the biscuits!

Mrsap Tue 08-Jan-13 10:05:58

Can I get in board. Have been doing 5:2 since sept and have lost 7kg so far with no real effort. However i'd lost those 7 by mid nov. the last 3kgs that I need to lose are sticking fast.

Christmas didn't help but at least I didn't gain anything....which I put down to the 5:2.

Might do a bit more exercise now to see if that shift the last 3.

Need a support thread to keep me motivated too.

Good luck everyone.

Pufflemum Tue 08-Jan-13 10:16:04

Hi, I'll join. I need to loose half a stone to get me back to a weight I am comfortable with. Cutting processed carbs, wine and chocolates should help as will getting back to the gym once the children return to school. Good luck everyone.

sweetheart Tue 08-Jan-13 10:18:29

Wow joyce well done - is that 4ibs in 1 week?

I've been trying to loose weight slowly and steadily over the last 4 months so that I get back into good eating habits but i have to say I am tempted by another fad that will see me shift my last 8Ibs quickly. I've done Cambridge before and can loose 5-7Ibs in a week - although the reality is it probably wouldn't stay off.

Hmmmmmm I just want to be rid of this last bit, I'm really struggling to stay motivated!

redlac Tue 08-Jan-13 10:34:51

Can I join too please? I need to shift a good couple of kg so ust started doing the 5:2 with my first fast day yesterday. I'm on MFP as juliejukes if anyone wants to add me (off to add those who have put their name on here already)

YouCanCallMeBetty Tue 08-Jan-13 10:41:59

I'd like to join please.

I'm still harbouring the remnants of baby weight, so want to lose 10kg/22lbs. I'm going back to work in March so would like to have lost a fair chunk by then.

I started using MFP yesterday and am really impressed so far - in the past I could never be bothered with the faff of calorie counting, so this is making it much easier. I'm aiming for 1,200 calories per day, with 30-60 minutes of brisk walking per day (hate gyms).

My problems are that I lack will power and love food, especially sweet stuff... but I'm really going to try this time, and hope the support of this thread will help. I'm sick of looking in the mirror and feeling depressed.

Please feel free to add me on MFP - same username as here. I'll add you lot now! smile

YouCanCallMeBetty Tue 08-Jan-13 10:54:03

Hello those of you who have added me on MFP!

Made a blunder though - when I joined yesterday I entered my weight as 169kg, instead of 69kg blush... I blame sleep deprivation. Anyway changed it but now it's saying I've lost 99kg! Anyone know how I change it?!

YouCanCallMeBetty Tue 08-Jan-13 11:00:55

Don't worry, sorted it!

Madmog Tue 08-Jan-13 11:22:13

Wow - there's loads of us - welcome everyone!

Congratulations Joycey. Was it hard? My husband is also doing 5:2.

Just done my weigh in and only put on 1.5lbs over Christmas. I'm going to try and do it by eating smaller portions, lower calorie meals and trying to eat fruit/veggie sticks more often instead of rubbish. Am going to make sure I do loads more walking, some toning exercises and swimming at weekends with family.

We still have have loads of choccies, biscuits and drinks we had as Xmas presents so need that right balance of a treat and willpower. Am determined to reach my target and stay there though!

Joycey29 Tue 08-Jan-13 11:33:54

Yup - lost 4lb in a week but expecting to go back to 1-2 lb after first week.

Loving 5-2. Finding it really easy to do fast days.
Toast and marmite for breakfast
French Onion Soup - lunch
Ready meal 250 cals - dinner

Easy to stick for one day x

QueenCadbury Tue 08-Jan-13 11:53:50

Thanks to all those that have added me as a friend.

sweetheart Tue 08-Jan-13 12:50:23

Hmmmm well the 5/2 thing seemed worth it for 4Ibs but I'm not sure for just 1 or 2Ibs - I could loose that doing 122cal days all week. Plus I know what I'm like and on the days where I could eat more I'd probably goa bit wild wink

I'll see how my weigh in goes on Saturday morning and go from there I think. if I've had a loss I'll probably stick with what I'm doing for the time being.

Off to the gym in a min for a 40 min lunchtime session of punishing circuits then I'll be trying to fit in a 40 min walk later today as I'm doing the moonwalk in May and have no idea what my walking pace is like! I'm pretty sure it will be bloomin slow towards the end of 26 miles though!!!

YouCanCallMeBetty Tue 08-Jan-13 15:04:53

Wow, some of you are doing really well. 7kg since September Mrsap - well done, that's brilliant.

Has anybody got any suggestions of low-calorie sweet snacks? I'm doing OK so far (on all of day 2!) but I know that sweet craving may well be my downfall.

sweetheart Tue 08-Jan-13 15:16:46

low calorie sweet snacks I use to control cravings are:-

3 party rings = 84cals
options hot chocolate = 39 cals
treat size finger of fudge = 60 cals
Meringue nest - 53 cals (with some fruit and squirty cream?!?!?)
The little bags of cadburys fingers / animal shape things are usually under 100 cals
Nature Valley granola bar - it's a bit like eating a flapjack!!! The packs come with 2 bars but ONLY EAT 1!!!! They are 95 cals each
Little pot of jelly / custard / rice puddings? Jelly is low cal - I think the custard is about 140 cals
Fruit or fruit salad with maybe a bit of squirty cream
yoghurt

I often resort to a glass of diet coke for something sweet!!!!

YouCanCallMeBetty Tue 08-Jan-13 15:47:39

Some great ideas there sweetheart, thanks. Will stock up on Options, and hadn't thought of jelly or custard.

I used to try to do the one square of dark chocolate thing, but it's sooo hard to resist the rest.

I read a good idea in a cookbook once (think it might have been Fay Ripley's, randomly!) about freezing

custard in lolly moulds - guess you could use low-fat custard too.

QueenCadbury Tue 08-Jan-13 16:06:22

I love to have some chocolate every day. It's just a habit now which I know I should break. I don't have enough willpower to just eat half a bar or 1 square so I've just bought some smaller child size bars I. The hope of gradually weaning myself off!

Mrsap Tue 08-Jan-13 18:13:51

Thx youcancallmebetty, it really wasn't difficult with the 5:2. I think the fasting reduces your overall appetite and u really think about whether you want that extra helping etc on normal days.

Although my failing over Christmas was the booze I think!

Will try to friend people on MFP later.

sarahlundssweater Wed 09-Jan-13 07:06:27

I also have to have some chocolate everyday, but logging everything on MFP makes you pay attention to the amounts. I ate less choc yesterday than I usually do, and came in slightly under the total calories I was supposed to eat for the day! smile

My MFP user name is Chupchick, I'll try and add you guys too.

QueenCadbury Wed 09-Jan-13 09:46:39

I'm feeling so much better about myself already! Since the weekend there's been a 2lb weight loss which I know is just water but I feel so much less bloated as I'm not eating all the stodge and drinking baileys that I was over Xmas. I'm also taking advantage of the dry weather and walking the long way home from school which involves a large hill-not an easy feat pushing the buggy.
How's everyone else getting on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now