Curly Girl Method - those of you who do not use shampoo at all, what do you wash your hair with?

(49 Posts)

I have wavy, frizz-prone hair; much better since I have been using one of Lush's solid shampoos and a hair oil after washing.
I am going to move to a sulphate free shampoo next, but cannot imagine going entirely 'no poo'.

I wash my hair about twice a week, I don't blow dry, but do use straighteners sometimes.

So, any suggestions, please? Conditioner to wash with?? I just think that would be a step too far and leave me with lank, greasy hair.

FellatioNelson Tue 08-Jan-13 02:59:02

mines wavy all over but not nice waves and some random straight bits through it

That's what mine is like as well - it's infuriating, isn't it? shock

Either curl properly or don't curl, FFS.

LoopsInHoops Tue 08-Jan-13 03:13:55

Me too. Looking for products available abroad for this.

Those of you using henna - is it possible to henna without any red tint? I' like a deeper brown - does this exist?

Loops - yes, Lush do a brown henna (Caca Brun) which just gives a deep brown without the normal reddishness, they also have Caca Marron which is reddish brown, I use half and half of these to give a rich brown with a hint of red on my plain dark brown hair.

LoopsInHoops Tue 08-Jan-13 07:25:50

caca brun?! grin really?! Brown poo?!

Thank you. Not sure if there's a lush here but will look, thanks. smile

I know, it's a deliberate joke because that's what it looks like when you mix it with water, not sure if they market it as that in France.

LoopsInHoops Tue 08-Jan-13 07:35:23

smile

Whitecat Tue 08-Jan-13 08:27:27

Booyhoo your itchy scalp sounds so familiar. I know I've foolishly bought something with silicones in it when my scalp reacts like that. I'm sure once you make the change your scalp will feel so much better.

Booyhoo Tue 08-Jan-13 10:35:45

thanks whitecat. i never considered the cones could be causing the itch. (doh!) i've actually been using Vosene for dandruff these past few weeks as out of nowhere i started getting flakes after not having D/druff since childhood. yesterday morning my scalp was the itchiest and most painful it had ever been. tbh i think it's getting worse. anybody any ideas? is the boots naked likely to help this?

Loops, yes, I can confirm Caca brun is just brown, not red. And yes, Lush know what 'caca' mean in French; it is a deliberate work play. They also use the phrase 'no shit haircare' in their banff grin.

Booyhoo, have you used any kind of hair colour recently? Brown/brunette colours are notorious for causing scalp irritation. And standard dandruff shampoos work like paint-stripper. Seriously. I'd try washing with something v v gentle. If you develop crusts/weeping of the scalp, see your GP.

I have a curly fringe, like a poodle, waves around my face that make me look like Heidi, and straight (but frizzy!) hair in the back. Grrrr!

Booyhoo - if it's actually crusting or bleeding I'd suggest the Dr. It is possible to get fungal scalp infections, my DS developed one and antifungal cream cleared it very fast. For haircare I'd suggest popping into Lush, they have products for every type of problem hair and scalp, the staff are knowledgeable and helpful and they give generous samples.

Booyhoo Tue 08-Jan-13 18:01:29

yes it is bleeding when i scratch it and there have been small crusty formations for a few months now. the crusty bits haven't been as bad for a few weeks.

i dye my hair dark brown but i've been using the same brand/colour for years, although i did have a break from that when i was dying it pink. maybe that triggered the problem!

i'll try the boots stuff and see if that helps. if not i'll see the GP. thanks for info.

like the idea of using 'brown poo' grin instead of chemical laden dyes.

StinkyWicket Tue 08-Jan-13 19:08:39

I am no-poo and my curls have never looked better! I am using Tresemme silicone and SLS free conditioner at the moment, I wet, put some through and massage for a bit then rinse thoroughly. I then use the same to style (although use allsorts really!). I don't get any itches, flakes or anything, it really suits my hair. It's a lot curlier and looks good all the time, a lot less hit and miss than before. I also had all the dead ends cut off so they curl instead of go straight hmm

My hair is very dry and porous though, if yours isn't it might not be quite the same.

(BTW I use Naked shampoo every so often, just to make absolutely sure I'm not getting any product build up. That's when I'm most frizzy!)

Booyhoo Tue 08-Jan-13 19:13:36

i'm having my ends off on thursday as i've noticed it harder to get the conditioner and oil through.

Booyhoo, PPD allergy info. Does this sound familiar? Dark hair dyes are well-known to cause contact allergy at any time; even after years of use of the same make/brand/colour.

Thanks, StinkyWicket, my hair is dry and porous, although less so since I've started using henna last summer. Tresemme has been mentioned favourably several times now <<takes notes>>

Oh, and Loops, Lush do mail-order from their website... Just sayin' grin

LakeFlyPie Tue 08-Jan-13 21:47:18

WhoKnows I have found the Henara stuff in one of the local 'cheap' shops, think it's Quality Save, 89p a bottle grin

Still haven't got round to henna-ring, must do it...

Thanks Lake - I will keep an eye out for that.

Booyhoo Tue 08-Jan-13 22:31:00

thanks for info pacific

some of that sounds familiar. i will try the no cones/sls stuff and see how i get on with that.

LoopsInHoops Wed 09-Jan-13 00:40:52

Thanks Pacific. There isn't one here, and I have a personal policy of crossing the street to avoid the shop when I'm near one anyway mail order sounds a good option. smile

LoopsInHoops Wed 09-Jan-13 00:44:42

How often do those of you doing no-poo wash/scrub/condition?

I'm in the tropics and it's a nightmare with my hair. I've gradually come to only washing every 3-4 days, but I do use shampoo. I tried once to wash with conditioner only and it was horrible and lank.

Any thoughts on a plan?

princessnumber2 Wed 09-Jan-13 00:58:02

Hi - have lurked in s&b (mostly in awe of knowledge levels). I have frizzy/wavy/random hair. I wish it was curly or straight but it's neither. This thread is opening my eyes to a new world of ideas so thank you.

Slightly random question - sometimes my hair looks amazing when I've been in the sea. confused Why would this be? It looks horrendous almost all the time but after swimming in the sea it sometimes goes into nice non frizzy waves? Should I just get loads of sea salt and wash it in that?smile

Princess, salt water seems to have a defining effect on the hair! If you look in any Boots', you will find several sea salt spray products. I can't particularly recommend a particular brand.

Or, you could fill a plant water sprayer with water and sea salt - my hairdresser friend has been doing this for years.

princessnumber2 Wed 09-Jan-13 01:18:31

Amazing! I am doing DIY salt spray tomorrow. Thanks! grin

Sea water? Salt spray? Really??
I get ridiculous straw on my head whenever I am anywhere near the sea - not blond, brown straw shock.

Well, my l'Oreal Elvive Extraordinary Oil which I have really liked using since last summer, also contains -cone. Dammit. I have about 3/4 of it left (it really does go a long way) and now way am I getting rid of it.

Could I go sulphate free in terms of shampoo and use a 'remove all product build up' shampoo every now and then? Aaargh! Too complicated. I suspect, knowing me, I will just carry on doing what I am doing. Doh!

I am glad some of you have found this thread useful, as I have just arrived back at my starting point...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now