Anyone else despise skater dresses?

(60 Posts)

I mentioned this in another thread and felt inspired to start a new one!

I really fucking loathe the things. And what's worse, they are everywhere, it seems, and I feel hard pushed to find a different silhouette in any of the high street stores. I imagine they are cheap to knock up, usually made of the shittiest fabrics and sold for far more than they are worth. Interestingly you rarely see this style touted at higher end stores.

On a personal note, I can't tolerate the elasticated waists (which don't suit me at all), and regardless the size of your chest (I am 32A) they feel deeply unflattering in this area.

I once walked into Topshop with a male friend who laughed and pointed at a rack full of them and asked me when they had started to make kids clothes. When I told him they were aimed at teens and older he said 'How odd, they look like clothes for little girls).

I appreciate that some people may love them, so have no issue with that, it's just the garment itself which bugs me. I have always loved pear shapes and imagine these might look really nice with that particular body shape, but I still can't get on board with them at all.

And they are everywhere. I just want a little bit more choice when shopping, you know, for something that makes me look like an adult. Longer lengths might help, but I am sure these bastards prefer to save fabric, whilst bumping up the prices of shitty polyester skater dresses with dodgy zippers......if you are lucky they might offer you one that isn't sleeveless!

No, not a fan either. They are generally far too short on my 5 foot 8 height, and make me look flabby as well.

OK if you are 18 and skinny like my niece. Not so much as a size 16/18 with chubby knees.

MoomieAndFreddie Fri 04-Jan-13 14:35:11

and that bird of prey one is really nice as well

MoomieAndFreddie Fri 04-Jan-13 14:34:43

oh that asos one is lovely mrsH

envy

i want one and they have sold out in my size! <sob>

Beaverfeaver Fri 04-Jan-13 08:54:00
MrsHoarder Fri 04-Jan-13 08:48:20

Inspired by this thread I've just bought this to wear when I go back to university at the end of the month. But there were lots of other dress styles available.

I'm just sufficiently attached to this sort of shape to have made myself a couple of dresses in a similar longer style a couple of years ago when they were impossible to find in the shops.

LaTrucha Fri 04-Jan-13 07:42:58

That tea dress is beautiful. If red suited me, I'd have it in a trice!

MoomieAndFreddie Fri 04-Jan-13 07:27:43

that link didn't work for me?! just linked to a page with 100's of dresses on grin

looks a great website though

Beaverfeaver Fri 04-Jan-13 01:31:38
SpikyLikey Thu 03-Jan-13 20:43:22

I dont mind them - have a couple of 'skater ' dresses in knit and jersey. Theyre good to throw on with leggings and boots, but I am tall and can get away with a silhouette that maybe some shorties couldnt (not being smug...I have plenty of wobbly bits to hide!).

I disagree that there arent other cuts of dress around, though. Peplums, pencil skirts/tailored dresses, bubble hems and dip hems, and midi dresses are everywhere.

NotForProfit Thu 03-Jan-13 20:37:37

I'm about a size 12, & still have quite a bit of baby weight around my middle (from 3 years ago!). Norks are only average sized but i find long-sleeve skater dresses in plain colours actually really flattering on me. They give the illusion of a waist, & are cut high enough to cover flab.

Startail Thu 03-Jan-13 18:44:39

UABU totally and completely unreasonable and I don't care this is S&B

At long last their are feminine dresses with hips not tubes, that fit only anorexic bean poles and sacks that fit only rectangles. I don't know any rectangular women.

I'm a bit old and a bit plump for a cheap and cheerful skater dress, but they look great on DD1 and would have suited me pre DD2

I think you're right, hadn't thought of it like that, I find any dresses with an elastic waistband tend to creep slightly higher than is flattering as I walk in them, I need styles that curve into the waist rather than having an actual waistband for this reason.

Are you for real, baddog? confused

I was going to say, I'm not keen as they don't work for me, but not sure why all the vile comments.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeGoes Interesting you should say that because it has reminded me why the waist band on these frocks bothers me: I think the band is placed a bit high so that many of them are almost empire. This really chops the upper body at an odd point and makes the hips look higher (or where the average waist is supposed to lie instead).

I have read that they are supposed to suit suit pear shapes like me but they make me look massive in the hips/bum, I tried a black knee length one with black opaques (my legs are admittedly not my best feature) it was very unflattering indeed. It did emphasize my waist (which is one of my best features) but made my top half seem very short and wide as well as my hips looking enormous. Will be sticking to straighter styles. I am possibly not the target demographic at 45 anyway.

pinksquidge Thu 03-Jan-13 18:05:49

i love them!

am short and slim but with 32d norks and a rubbish untoned tummy but thin legs (youngest dc now 3, really should do something about it blush )

i have about 4 from topshop all in different colours, and they really flatter my shape, they emphasise my small-ish waist and completely skim over my tummy

pretty much every other dress style i have ever tried makes me look fat. sad

MrsDeVere Thu 03-Jan-13 18:03:02

I like them but like any other item of clothing - they have to FIT.

I have a couple of black ones and a teal one. I like the retro vibe.

I am very far from a teenager. Mind you, I have always worn what I want.

True, I haven't seen many people wearing them either. Maybe this winter they've been hidden under coats?

I have one single skater style dress which suits: knee length, black, slash neck and 3/4 sleeves. Very Audrey Hepburn in style and quite funeral friendly. Sorry Audrey!

scripsi Thu 03-Jan-13 16:56:07

They are very hit or miss for me and I can't tell what it is about the specific cut of the ones that do suit. One thing that is odd, is that like much of the stuff that sells out on the high street/online: I never see anyone wearing them. There seem to be secret clothes-wearing parties I am not invited to <social pariah emoticon>

UterusUterusGhaLaLaLaLaLi Thu 03-Jan-13 16:50:45

I hate them too.

I think because they should suit me, and mags often laud them as a good way to cover ones enormous hips, but the look SHOCKING on me. Just. Awful.

Trying to find a dress recently it was all I could find.

I'm sure they're fine on teenagers.

That tea dress is lovely, my bosom wouldn't fill it though, I doubt sad

FirstTimeForEverything Thu 03-Jan-13 16:39:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BadDog Thu 03-Jan-13 16:33:32

agree - lovely on a lanky GIRL ( as most skaters are)

one look at bloody anthea turner doing PR for that skating talent show thing made me heave a little

GrimmaTheNome Thu 03-Jan-13 16:30:29

> Looks like a teenage thing to me.
Spot on. Teen disco wear, specifically.

I was delighted when DD (13) chose a skater-style dress from New Look for the school disco - sale rail so only £8, perfect for something that may not get worn much - quite thick opaque fabric which hangs well, decently cut top, and suprisingly good on her somewhat plump, semi-developed form. She's got 'skaters' legs - not skinny, but quite muscular, I don't think this style suits skinny legs at all.

For grown ups - no, unless you are actually going skating!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now