My new years resolution this year is to make more effort with my appearance. Who wants to join me?

(906 Posts)
TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 12:30:00

I've never really worn make up, styled my hair or bothered with how I look. That was fine when I was young and fresh. Now I'm 34 (nearly 35) and I want to look good. I have just tried to curl my hair (and failed) and sorted out my make up, throwing out stuff that doesn't suit me.

ShakySingsMerryXmasEveryone Mon 31-Dec-12 22:42:24

Right, I bet you lovely ladies can help sort me out!
I have been off work for a couple of months due to a bad bout of depression.
I live my life in leggings and jumpers. I am now size 8 after losing 3 stone due to being ill and the side effects of my medication.
Nothing looks good on me at the moment. All my old clothes are massive and my leggings and jumpers just look tatty and shitty. As I am going back to work soon, I could really do with a confidence boost. (I'm a midwife and my uniform is a baggy nondescript mess) however, I wouldn't mind feeling good out side work.

For the past 2 months all I have worn is legging and tunics, or leggings and jumpers, if I was venturing outside I may wear a pair of too big jeans, that need a belt, and Naice top.

I need a reality check, however, I have actually managed to get dressed each day, which is an achievement.

I need to relearn what it is like to wear make up too sad

TrampyPants Mon 31-Dec-12 23:01:13

sleigh, well done. in fact, well done everyone. leather effect jeans? oooh they sound nice!

shaky, its tough, isnt it. baby steps are the key. what type of look are you aiming for?

ShakySingsMerryXmasEveryone Mon 31-Dec-12 23:05:47

Tidy the not that I've just got out of the shower and chucked on the nearest thing in the drawers could be a starting point grin

I will make a point of straightening my hair and putting on a bit of make up in the mornings. I need to get into that routine ASAP

Karbea Mon 31-Dec-12 23:08:04

Tramps they're more jeggings from DP I recommend them!

Shaky I think we'll all be egging each other on, welcome!

putyourhatonsweetie Mon 31-Dec-12 23:51:35

Good for you shaky!

ElectricMonkBelievesInSanta Tue 01-Jan-13 03:12:06

This thread is such a good idea! My resolutions are:

1) Stop scratching my face when it itches (due to very intolerant skin), as it just ends up looking like it's about to fall off;
2) Eat more fewer sweets and far more vegetables;
3) Get dressed in "outside clothes" every day, regardless of whether I'm working from home or not;
4) Put my hair up at least twice per week.

So far I've failed on every count this year!

ColdWinterMorning Tue 01-Jan-13 08:46:44

Hello, can I join too?

I need to get out of the mindset that means I look scruffy on days at home. Ds2 is 1, so most of my time with him I'm sitting on the floor/getting climbed on. I've been back at work for a couple of months now, and am happy with how I look for that, but that is only 3 days a week, I need to get the other 4 days sorted.

For work, I wear full make-up (primer, foundation, under-eye highlighter, mascara, blusher, lipstick), but so I look more polished than normal, rather than heavyily made-up, if that makes sense. I do have to get up at 5:30 for this though, I leave the house by 7). I've also started dyeing my hair to cover the grey. For work, I dress smartly (dress, jackets, heels, etc.).

At home though, I've been wearing old bf tops (finished bf just before Christmas) which I really don't like. I also wear either leggings and a jumper dress (which doesn't look too bad), or old jeans and a scruffy top. I have nice skinny jeans, but I like to keep them nice. I know that if I kneel on the floor wearing them, the knees will go, then I won't have nice things. I need to get out of that way of thinking.

I haven't read all of the thread yet, so hope to catch up soon.

TrampyPants Tue 01-Jan-13 09:50:48

Morning all and welcome to new resolutionarys!! Electric, do you have allergies? Is there a brand that you can use? Cold, that's it, we have this "keep nice for best" ingrained. Why can't we look nice every day?

Today is rough. Joints are v bad and didn't sleep last night. I must get dressed though. I must.

feekerry Tue 01-Jan-13 10:28:52

Morning new ladies!!
It is really sunny outside today which makes me feel like i should make an extra effort. Going out to lunch so going to go for skinny jeans, new wool jumper and maybe some high heels. Not scabby trainers or flats.
Then the fun begins tonight with preparing everything for the rest of the working week.
Have fun everyone. Can't wait to check up on what super glam things you have done today...
!!

I've started!!! For the past three days I've used skin morning and night. I've put a little bit of make up on and dressed properly. Yesterday my 11 yr old son told me I looked nice grin today I'm wearing navy linen trousers, white best top and aqua cardigan. Today I'm replacing cook books in kitchen with the low fat healthy eating ones. Thinking of doing weight watchers online but also on myfitnesspal if anyone cares to join me (username same as my mb name). Well done everyone who's started and everyone who's preparing to start. 2012 was a terrible year. 2013 will be the year of being fabulous smile

shaky would you feel comfortable going toa style advisor in JL or another dept store? They can help find things that make you feel good in and you can go from there. Well done for rising out of depression, its such a horrible demon.

ShakySingsMerryXmasEveryone Tue 01-Jan-13 11:02:55

Good morning everyone. Happy new year!

I have got my backside into gear and done my hair, I have make up on and I'm wearing my best jeans and a nice polo neck, skinny jumper. I have perfume on, I've shaved my legs and I am looking GOOD, even if I do say so myself.

Thank you for inspiring me to smarten myself up grin

lunar1 Tue 01-Jan-13 11:03:43

Well I've started! Plucked my eyebrows, day 1 shred DVD done and have had a good healthy breakfast of egg and wholemeal toast.

WoodRose Tue 01-Jan-13 11:24:12

Dressed in my new "Sweaty Bettys" and ready to go for a run to reduce the chocolate mountain around my midriff. shock

SilverSixpence Tue 01-Jan-13 11:29:56

I'd love to join in, I want to get out of wearing black and feeling dull and frumpy especially as I turn 30 this year! I have lots of pretty colourful bits in my wardrobe but gravitate towards the boring stuff as its easy.

Also want to sort out my frizzy hair and wear makeup regularly, it makes a huge difference if i wear eyeliner and blusher and just takes a few minutes.

Karbea Tue 01-Jan-13 11:33:30

Morning!

How are we doing?

So far, I've body brushed, showered, put a hair treatment on in the shower, scrubbed. Put slow tan moisturiser on and blow dried my hair properly.
I'm in scrappy clothes as cleaning today...

TrampyPants Tue 01-Jan-13 11:42:22

Everyones doing so well! I'm doing housework so have thrown on skinny cords, oversized jumper and converse for now, but my dad and stepmum are coming over and we are all going out for a drink so I will prettify myself later. Dark green poloneck mini dress tights and riding boots.

SleighbellsRingInYourLife Tue 01-Jan-13 11:51:33

Good morning!

DH and I reclaimed our bedroom by moving DD3 into her own room last night.

This should make a big difference to my ability to dress myself, apply make-up and do my hair.

I've been locked out a lot because the baby was asleep in her cot. So ended up with bits in various bathrooms and having to wear whatever was not in the wardrobe yet.

Wearing my dress again with different top and tights. blush

ColdWinter - how useful did you find the breastfeeding tops when you needed them?

I've never worn one, but I wonder if it would be more stylish than all my layers and hoiking about clothes that don't even fit that well.

Toilet training DD2 starting this morning, so may not leave the house.

She hasn't done a single wee since 7.45 when her nappy came off!

Last night I dyed my hair- Im now a full brunette rather than semi-grey. I also put on a self tan moisturiser and body buffed in the shower.

Today I'm wearing ill fitting black trousers blush and a vest under a sheer floaty top. I'm cleaning today as we'll have guests visiting tomorrow and I'll scrub up for that!

MrsPennyapple Tue 01-Jan-13 12:18:22

Hello everyone. Today I am wearing jumper/dress thing and leggings, will put on boots when I go out to a family get-together later. Hair is just tied back for now, will hopefully do something with it before we go, but it depends whether or not it decides to cooperate.

I had a look through my clothes this morning thinking I could get rid of some things, and maybe condense it into some kind of capsule wardrobe. I bagged up some stuff for rags for the charity shop, and saw a few items I could ebay, but that's where it ended unfortunately. There are tops that are almost ready for the bin, but I figured that soon I won't fit into them any more so I may as well carry on wearing them until I start showing, and then bin them. After I've had the baby I'll be desperate for new clothes anyway so will replace them then.

CarpeJugulum Tue 01-Jan-13 12:38:24

Up, body brushed, showered, moisturised, hair dryed straight and make up on - usual BB cream and I've added in a bit of eyeliner and mascara - and I look like a more polished me, rather than scruffy me.

Clothing is still jeans and a nice top, but I live in jeans as I can't seem to find trousers that fit me (heavy of thigh think prop forward rugby player blush and short of height, which is a bad combination).

Dinner made and eaten (so DS gets to eat with us, even if he doesn't actually eat!) as well - a healthy slow cooked gammon with potatoes and loads of veg; it was lush, and I'm full despite not eating loads.

DS off for a nap, so going to catch up on Xmas TV on the sofa.

Oh, and I get up at 6am, DH takes care of DS while I dress and get ready, then we swap and he heads out at 7.30am. So I have about 45 minutes to get everything done.

TrampyPants Tue 01-Jan-13 12:39:26

Mrspenny, that sounds sensible.

Sleighbells, wow, good luck with the pottytaining. And congrats on the new room. I bet its bliss.

ColdWinterMorning Tue 01-Jan-13 13:18:27

sleighbells, I found the bf tops pretty useful with ds2. With ds1 I went down the route of just wearing normal shirts (with a bf vest underneath if I was going out somewhere), but I felt quite exposed with that. I didn't want to buy specific clothing as I didn't know how long I would be feeding for.
With ds2, I knew that I wanted to feed him for a year, and I got some tops from my sister, and others as last year's Christmas presents (ds2 is a December baby). It's no exaggeration to say I have lived in them the last year. They've been washed on a delicate to try to keep them looking better for longer.
A couple of them look nicer, but most of them you could not say they look smart. The majority did feel more discrete for feeding (apart from the ones that had a zip up the middle). They're going to a friend who is due shortly, and I won't be sad to see the back of them.

I've just been out for a walk this morning, but wore my nice jeans and a pretty cardigan, although it has now been smeared with ds2's lunch.

Karbea Tue 01-Jan-13 13:18:41

Forgot to say had porridge and blueberries from breakfast and now having tomato soup and oatcakes for lunch.
Have restarted using mfp smile

Karbea Tue 01-Jan-13 13:27:17

500ml water drunk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now