My new years resolution this year is to make more effort with my appearance. Who wants to join me?

(906 Posts)
TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 12:30:00

I've never really worn make up, styled my hair or bothered with how I look. That was fine when I was young and fresh. Now I'm 34 (nearly 35) and I want to look good. I have just tried to curl my hair (and failed) and sorted out my make up, throwing out stuff that doesn't suit me.

TrampyPants Mon 28-Jan-13 18:41:39

Remus, its good to slob out. Ive been in my new cords and a cream jumper today. comfy and presentable but not gorgeous.

now in my pjs

Popped into Next on the way to pick DS1 up from football training tonight. Still had a voucher left from Christmas and used it to buy this scarf which I'm hoping will brighten the really plain outfits that I am buying to tide me over until I have settled at a final size.

When I got home my neighbour popped over with a parcel that he had signed for earlier, which contained this necklace that I won in a Facebook competition last week. It has a sort of Indian look about it and is a lot prettier in RL than in the photo.

I use Body Shop products on my face - Cucumber Cleanser and Toner at night and Passion Fruit Facewash in the mornings, with Carrot Moisturiser after both. I've tried lots of different ones but nothing seems to suit my skin quite as well.

GeorginaWorsley Mon 28-Jan-13 22:13:59

Trampy am size 12,.5 ft 3.

GeorginaWorsley Mon 28-Jan-13 22:20:04

Oh and hourglass shape grin

Feelingood Tue 29-Jan-13 09:48:07

guymartin are stomps boots like blocked heeled ones or a brand? I have full length block heel mid brown boots, I never thing to wear them with anything other than leggings, thanks for sharing as I will rethink combos. Re you make up book in for consult thing, I've learnt to combat painted counter lady intimidation with the fact they are there to help us and rely on us for a sale, might sound a bit harsh but tis true! Go book!

wornout go you with the walking, I have booked in to get a new program at gym with traininer (free every four weeks!)

remus you not letting anyone down! That outfit was good for work, don't think at home counts does it blush hopes not! I shall have a look at the vitamin e cream thanks.

jemima I have that scarf from last season but it's pale khaki with black elephants, it's the only animal print thing I have (I'm a fan of scarfs hide a lot and perk a lot up) that will serve you very well, team up with grey as go into spring and classic against white t. Accessorise with red shoes, bag and earings (think red is the new accent colour) you can't go wrong with that scarf a great buy. Oh and silver earrings.

My day yesterday was mad. I didn't get my plan done, I got as far as buying hair dye. Then I locked baby dd in car with keys phone everything, had to ring school for older ds wait for DH to get spare key - 1hr later dd slept through it all thank goodness, so I got knocked off my stride a bit!

I have blue straight legs in, navy cream longline cowl Breton top, navy superga's so casual and comfy. I have toned and moisturised, filed nails. I'm having a quiet day in to study today. Hair and nails tonight.

<waves morning> smile

TrampyPants Tue 29-Jan-13 12:09:34

Jemima, I love that scarf!!
Georgina, do you like any of the dresses I linked to? I have seen quite a few lovely ones, wish I had a ball to go to.
Feeling, oh god, are you ok? you must have been in bits. outfit sounds nice though.

today I am wearing my cords (again) a grey striped long-sleeved Tee and woollen funnel neck waistcoat, with flat ankle boots.

Im wearing make up almost every day now, and am taking better care of my skin too. I'm also drinking lots of herbal teas which have helped.

hows everyone doing?

Feelingood Tue 29-Jan-13 12:28:26

That sounds a nice well put together outfit trampy. I think you can looked well groomed and heeled without having to look remotely like a towie gone wrong (there's a few of them at my school gates IMO) but least they make the effort I tell myself!

Just seen pointy flats n this morning and lots of monochrome about. <Hopefully useful> not sure how I can do monochrome as sales assistant in Mint Velevet who is a size down from me said to stay away from pattern, I thought she was very useful in changing room. She kindly has kept a khaki top for me until Thursday, pay day!

Cords sound versatile, itching to get to shops come Thursday grin and try some on. Must remember to wear.

TrampyPants Tue 29-Jan-13 12:35:29

thank you, its very comfy, I love my cords. they fit so much better than jeans.

I love monochrome detailing. a black dress with white piping, etc. I know what you mean about TOWIE gone wrong, I couldnt do it even if I wanted to. I dont want to be high maintenance.

AnuvvaMuvva Tue 29-Jan-13 12:38:51

I love this thread! Can I join?

Before I even knew you were doing this, I got started. I had a BLITZ on my bedroom and gave 2 huge bags of clothes to charity, and am eBaying the contents of another. Just sold an old pair if salopettes I hadn't worn in literally 15 years, for £20!

Also blitzed old make-up, hair stuff, brushes, shoes - everything. Feel SO much better. Probably kept too many clothes, but eh..

Tonight I'll have a beauty night. Bath, body oil, face/hair-packs etc. and I found latex gloves in the 99p shop today, so I can do fake tan!

Love this lovely, girly, positive, happy thread!

GeorginaWorsley Tue 29-Jan-13 13:07:21

Trampy love the grey one,have my eye on a floaty grey Phase Eight one.
Strapless puts me off a bit tbh as have 36DD chest.
Def want elegant as opposed to frilly though.
Thanks for those links.
Just ordered Thermal Magique hair stuff as recommended on another thread!
Am a sucker for MN recommendations.

Welcome AnuvvaMuvva sounds like a good sort out, welldone on the ebay sale.

Day in today so I just going for casual however I have done hair and makeup, looking forward to pampering my feet later.

Hope you're over your fright feeling .

Well I am remaining good with trying to eat healthier just want to see it showing on the scales soon.

Ambassadoryouarespoilingme Tue 29-Jan-13 13:50:16

Afternoon Ladies
I haven't logged in for a bit but have been lurking... I've been out and about without reliable wifi signal. I have just bought a lovely grey cashmere jumper dress from Oliver Bonas in the sale here, which i'm wearing with black leggings and Timberland sheepskin waterproof boots. Nail care is now a habit and my hands feel a lot less scruffy. The healthy eating and running went out of the window a bit last week so I'm trying to get back on the wagon there. All in all, am hoping some of these new fads of mine turn into long-lasting habits and I can look more sorted in general.
Hope you are all feeling well?

Feelinggood - the boots Ive been on about are rocket dog nokout in brown. Theyre fab for this weather and for making a dress etc look more grungy (I think anyway! grin )

I went into town today, took advantage of rimmerls 3 for 2 offer in Boots and got a new mascara, primer and blusher. Took my empty pots back to Lush so got a free facemask (will enjoy that later), and bought a cleanser and a nice thick handcream - my usual handcreams arent doing enough for me at this time of year.

Havent made much of an effort today - got wet this morning walking to town, will get wet again in a minute picking the kids up!

Im convincing myself to part with 40quid for a pair of ankle boots, flat brown leather, bit slouchy but not too much... Not too expensive is it?? blush

lol @ 'rimmerls' - I can spell, honest!

Well the Topshop website went odd when I tried to place an order, so Ive now emailed and have to wait and see whats up with that...

My purple rocket dogs gave up this morning, so god knows what I can wear on my feet until the weather warms up, my feet get tired if I wear my big boots all the time, and I do a lot of walking so need to be comfy.

I have a pair of french connection 'paddy' ankle boots but rarely wear them because Im not sure I can pull them off. Any ideas? What would you wear them with?

LetMeAtTheWine Tue 29-Jan-13 14:33:01

Afternoon all!

Thanks for the feedback on the dress smile I was starting to really doubt my taste!! Am thinking of going for pale gold accessories just because I already have them and don’t want to spend a fortune for one occasion. I should probably point out that I bought the dress off eBay, in perfect condition, for £65 - did not pay full price for it! Normally I spend a bit more on dresses for weddings etc but I know I can wear them again, as this one is maternity is doesn’t seem worth spending more.

Hello to the new people who have joined as well, sounds like everyone is really making an effort. Good on you!

I went through (most of) my wardrobe last night and took out the stuff that I won’t be able to wear whilst preggers, and tried on some stuff I had checked to the back that was too small for me. I have lost weight since I became pregnant and there is an old favourite pair of jeans and some other trousers that I can now fit in to! Was over the moon wink. Also pulled out some stuff that I can wear for work so moved that in to my work wardrobe as only bought it in a fit of panic when I put weight on and had nothing to wear at the end of 2011. Never really worn much of it but there is nothing wrong with it, I just don’t really like it. Will do for work for a bit though.

What do people do with clothes they want to get rid of? I have some more expensive stuff from French Connection, Reiss etc that I want to try and sell on eBay, but the cheaper stuff it doesn’t really seem worth the effort. There is loads in the loft I have been saying I will car boot for ages but still not done it. Think I am just being tight and should probably donate to charity...
Georgina, I have only been to balls arranged through the military and these usually have a dress code of ankle length, usually tells you in the promotional material/on the tickets though. Might be worth double checking – although I suppose it depends on where it is and how strict they are likely to be on the door in relation to the dress code.

Trampy - I like those coated jeans a lot!

Remus - you always sound like you make a canny effort with your clothes – I need some of your motivation! (and possibly your wardrobe...)

Anyway, this is probably way too long a post so will leave you in peace now. Keep up the good work everyone!

x

TrampyPants Tue 29-Jan-13 14:44:54

Anuvva, welcome to our lovely thread. I'm a member of a quiche, finally! wink
well done on your sort out and the ebaying, it feels so good, doesnt it?

Georgina, ok, I will have a hunt for something similar, I know the style you mean this is so beautiful, but pricey

wornout, keep going, it'll show soon. do you feel any better? and enjoy your foot pampering grin

ambassador, good to see you back!! that dress is lovely, ikwym about trying to turn them into habits, I'm using handcream all the time now and my hands feel so much better. Ive also got my make up down to just over 5 mins, this morning I had time to style my fringe into a side sweep using straighteners.

LetMe I had to clear out the entire contents of my wardrobe due to losing weight as nothing fit me anymore. The cheaper stuff I just gave to charity, but I have kept the more expensive stuff and favourite items. I don't think I will sell it, but I am thinking of using some of the material. Possibly for patchwork, although I think there is enough material in some of the skirts and dresses to make clothes for my 6 year old DD. Or possibly sew some of them into scarves for myself.

TrampyPants Tue 29-Jan-13 14:49:54

ooh, gorgeous

guy, not too much at all wink do the pots have to be lush ones?

Letme, that sounds perfect, and you got a bargain there! I would charity shop, tbh.

TrampyPants Tue 29-Jan-13 14:51:33

Jemima, thats a really good idea. I change button a lot too.

vavavoom

LetMeAtTheWine Tue 29-Jan-13 14:53:24

Also (sorry!) I think someone mentioned about looking for inspiration for developing their style. I have been looking at various fashion blogs for inspiration so (whoever it was), these might help you...

www.thesimplyluxuriouslife.com/
www.karlascloset.com/
atlantic-pacific.blogspot.co.uk/

If none of these are to your taste, have a bit of a search on bloglovin or pinterest - it is amazing what you can find

www.bloglovin.com
pinterest.com/

TrampyPants Tue 29-Jan-13 14:57:21
issimma Tue 29-Jan-13 14:57:32

God I need to rejoin this thread, if you'll have me! No time to wash hair, never mind get it cut as I should! Wearing horrible clothes and no make up as not going anywhere. Home alone with 2yr old and 2mo, and DH working away this week. Am v glum and need kick up backside to get going and look less monstrous. Any beautifying needs to fit in those elusive minutes between tantrums and feeding.

TrampyPants Tue 29-Jan-13 14:58:06

thank you Letme, there are some good blogs out there.

TrampyPants Tue 29-Jan-13 15:02:55

issi, of course we'll have you. you sound so down, lovey. baby steps! where do you want to start? maybe focus on one thing a day and build up from there?

TrampyPants Tue 29-Jan-13 15:03:19

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now