My new years resolution this year is to make more effort with my appearance. Who wants to join me?

(906 Posts)
TrampyPants Sun 30-Dec-12 12:30:00

I've never really worn make up, styled my hair or bothered with how I look. That was fine when I was young and fresh. Now I'm 34 (nearly 35) and I want to look good. I have just tried to curl my hair (and failed) and sorted out my make up, throwing out stuff that doesn't suit me.

Good luck! It's snowing here, so am not going for a run again. Will at least try to ignore the Mars Bar in the cupboard.

Today I wore:

black pencil skirt with silver zips
grey slouchy t-shirt (tucked in) with tiny silver studs
grey Chanel-esque cropped jacket with pewter studs
polka dot tights
platforms

Got lots of nice comments and felt quite tall, for a change!

I suspect tomorrow will be wellies and a balaclava.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Thu 17-Jan-13 19:51:10

It's pay day tomorrow -woo hoo! Getting my hair done - although haven't decided what colour to go for yet.
Also will be able to treat myself to some clothes. Thinking I should be sensible and start with new underwear but expect I'll go for something people can actually see! Although I have no idea what I'm looking for - just not what I've got.

Shaky Thu 17-Jan-13 20:01:24

Blimey, it's too cold to be glamorous today, I worked today so I was wearing my gorgeous midwife uniform confused, this evening I am wearing the warmest, snuggliest jumper I could find.

It's snowing a lot here, in Wales, thank god I'm off tomorrow.

Thank you for the Clarkes tip, I will have a look.

AfternoonsandCoffeespoons Thu 17-Jan-13 20:26:18

Far, far too cold today! Outfit today started as denim mini, red chunky jumper, and black leggings. Then added hideous but warm cream fleece about mid morning. Then grey yoga pants this afternoon. Sexy! Gave up about 6 ish and put my pyjamas on. grin

Been looking for grey boots for a while now, just ordered these what does everyone think? Also looking for a couple of jumper dresses (ideally to go with the boots).

MummyPersonalStylist Thu 17-Jan-13 21:01:15

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

LetMeAtTheWine Thu 17-Jan-13 21:13:03

Well, moisturising and hair removal is as far as I have managed to get! Really need to try and sort out my wardrobe a bit over the weekend...
I was looking through some photos tonight from 2011 and my god I look horrendous confused I got married that year as well and cried in shame when I saw the photos - couldn't bring myself to look at them again. More motivation to try and make an effort I suppose.
You all sound like you are doing well anyway - keep up the good work (and can anyone tell me how to link to websites?!)

Cheers!

minimumthebare Thu 17-Jan-13 21:16:21

LetMe-easiest way is to cut and paste the link into the message box, then tick 'convert links automatically' box to make it clickable. You can check you've got it right by previewing your message.

LetMeAtTheWine Thu 17-Jan-13 21:22:11

Brill - thanks minimum! Got an iPad from Santa and still trying to get used to it so this could be a challenge on many counts grin

Talisin Thu 17-Jan-13 21:39:16

AfternoonsandCoffeespoons I have the black version of those boots and I can tell you that they are surprisingly comfortable.

Whoknowswhocares Thu 17-Jan-13 21:46:47

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_61132+418497E85_-1?breadcrumb=Home%7EWomen

And
www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_61068+LK261A_-1

Ordered these jumper dresses today.....( thanks for the tip on links minimum. Sorry don't know how to shorten it to a one word thingy)

Mummy - you need to do a media thing and pay to advertise yourself. You can't advertise on here.

Ugh - what the heck happened there?

Type double [

Then put your web address

Then leave a space

Then write your word

Then type double ]

Fingers crossed 2nd time lucky!

Lakota Thu 17-Jan-13 22:12:16

Well today I have managed to epilate my legs (and use Bliss ingrown hair stuff and lovely Angel body lotion afterwards). Didn't put any makeup on though as I went to the gym in the morning and didn't get round to it after shower and hair removal. But the gym itself is good I guess!

Fast day today - weigh in tomorrow. I tried on some leather trousers from ASOS today which I'd ordered in the sale - they're too big, and they're a 10. Bemused, do they normally come up big? I have been a 12/14 for ages and just got back into my 28 inch waist jeans (one pair comfortably, one erm, not so) so can't imagine I've massively shrunk in two days!

Love the sound of your outfit Remus.

whiteandyelloworchid Thu 17-Jan-13 23:59:56

still going with this, most of the time, trying to make more of an effort.

minimumthebare Fri 18-Jan-13 07:37:53

Just weighed myself, another pound off smile only twenty more to go

Really like that blue dress, Whoknows!

How long have you been on 5:2, Lakota? Hope your weigh in goes well!

Lakota Fri 18-Jan-13 08:08:23

Hi minimumthebare - I've been doing 5:2 since around the end of August (after coming back from big family get together in the Lakes - lots of Cumberland sausage, grasmere gingerbread and booze!) and I have found it brilliant. It's nice to give your body and digestion a bit of break periodically, and I've not felt deprived at all or over-eaten the other days. I'm 5'6" and started at 10st 5, which was the highest I've been ever, and as of this morning am down to 9 stone. I'd highly recommend it as a way of eating - check out the threads here for loads more info. I've been tracking calories on My Fitness Pal.

School trip today, and snow predicted, so probably won't be too stylish today!

bleedingheart Fri 18-Jan-13 10:11:49

Creeping out of lurkerdom to say I love that cowl neck dress whoknows and congratulations on your weightless Lakota.

I have been making more of an effort this year but this weather just makes me want to hibernate! I have lost two kilos of the five I'm aiming to shift so I must avoid comfort eating in the cold!

Hello! The childrens school is closed today and my husband cant get to work either so we're all home trying to keep warm! Ive got nice makeup on and hair in ponytail but letting it down with joggers, a hooded sweatshirt and slipper boots grin

Ambassadoryouarespoilingme Fri 18-Jan-13 11:13:55

Morning! Its snowing hard here and they've just closed the school so am off to pick up. Despite aiming for the look of Anna Karenina, I think I'm more akin to Frosty the Snowman hmm
Am wearing skinny jeans, various tops and a red hooded dress with rabbit fur style scarf.
I'm doing really well with the nail care and thanks to the cuticle care advice on this thread, I've (almost) stopped picking and nibbling around my nails.
I'm doing much more exercise than before, and doing MyFitnessPal with a limit of 1250 cals per day but I'm feeling a bit bleurgh as the numbers on the scales don't seem to be coming down. Part of me wants to hide behind the layers and eat biscuits, but I find my older daughter (aged 5) becoming more and more focused on eating, body shape, fat etc and I want to subtly set a good example for being fit and healthy, without talking about it too much. So that makes me want to keep going. But why aren't I losing???? I've lost about 6 lbs since New Year, but the last few days, nothing much has changed. Grrr. I just can't bring myself to go for a run in the snow.

I keep looking at everyone's links to new jumper dresses etc, but i've promised myself I'm not going to buy any more stuff until I'm one size smaller. Am currently a large size 14 so I want size 12 jeans next.

Anyway, happy glamourising, and take care in the snow.

Thanks Lakota.

Now wearing skinnies, thermal socks and a hoodie stolen from dd1. Got let out of school early (yippee!).

For work I wore:

black jersey dress - White Company
black jacket - linea
black opaques with tiny holes all over them (deliberately!) - Monsoon
black platforms
big black and gold pashmina
gold cuff

TrampyPants Fri 18-Jan-13 16:19:49

Hello all, how's it going?

TrampyPants Fri 18-Jan-13 16:22:42

Remus, wow! That's v stylish.

Ambassador, are you building muscletone? That could be it.

I am rocking the pj's lopok. Still fucking ill. Over 2 weeks now. Not funny.

Not once I'd got wellies and a parka on, it wasn't! grin

Hope you feel better soon.

AfternoonsandCoffeespoons Fri 18-Jan-13 17:44:53

I'm rocking the pj's today, too, and I'm not even ill. Still cleansed, moisturised and did hair and make up this morning, though, just decided it was far too cold to actually get dressed! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now