Warm and dry - the tried and tested thread

(40 Posts)
BrianButterfield Tue 04-Dec-12 08:25:34

There's been lots of threads over the winters from people looking for gear to keep them warm and dry in horrible weather, so I thought we could do with a place to share recommendations of the things we've bought, loved and hated.

Merrell Haven: LOVE. Worth every penny. Keeps me unbelievably warm in icy weather, wind proof and not too bulky. Downside is that it's almost 100% waterproof but not quite - it lets water in at the elbows. It fits snugly but I like that.

Karrimor snow quilt snowboots - not tried them in actual snow yet but they're very warm and snug. No toe chill even in freezing weathe. Will report back in case of actual snow.

dexter73 Tue 04-Dec-12 11:30:46

Merrell Oslos - very warm but not completely waterproof when it is lashing it down. Glad I only paid £45 for them!

JuliaFlyte Tue 04-Dec-12 12:48:06

Lands End Stadium Squall coat. it is definitely the most unglamorous thing I have ever owned, and I only wear it when absolutely necessary, BUT it is incredibly warm. I got it in 2010 and wore it out in blizzards and couldn't believe how toasty I was.

MorrisZapp Tue 04-Dec-12 12:54:15

Merrell Taiga boots, totally watertight, toasty warm.

Fly London boots, leak water even if there's no rain, just a damp pavement. Utterly hopeless.

therugratref Tue 04-Dec-12 12:59:20

North Face Arctic Parker and Merrell Winterbelle boots. Completely waterproof toasty warm and the only thing that gets me through the rugby season.

IslaValargeone Tue 04-Dec-12 13:03:22

My dh just bought bought me (much to my horror) The North Face Arctic parka. it is less puffy than many winter coats and although the very idea of wearing an anorak gives me a tic, it is very warm and waterproof.
Longer would be better however, as I am quite tall.

laptopdancer Tue 04-Dec-12 13:15:01

How are the merrel winterbelles on icy ground?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 04-Dec-12 13:19:00

Merrell Yarra boots. Warm, waterproof and on their third winter. Great in snow and ice.

Barbour Parka. It is soo toasty and cosy, I will be wearing it for years.

hortensemancini Tue 04-Dec-12 14:29:13

Land's End down parka. Superwarm, generously sized, nice furry hood, not the most stylish, but who cares when it's seriously cold. Also has usefully positioned pockets for gloves, dog poo bags, phone, keys, etc. Not waterproof, though.

I've just taken delivery of a selection of Didrikson's parkas to try on, which will hopefully be both warm AND dry, so will report back.

Snowkey Tue 04-Dec-12 14:54:28

North face Arctic parka - lovely and warm, dry but a bit bulky and I feel like a yeti - but it's worth it.
Sorrel Joan of Arc - warm, dry but narrow fit so I had to go up a size, so they look longish on the foot.

NagooHoHoHo Tue 04-Dec-12 15:00:06

Merrell Puffins, Merrell Oslos, snug snug snug, on second winter with daily wear of the Puffins, very very happy smile Sizing seemed a little big so I went down half a size on the Olsos.

Merrell Haven, ditto what's in the OP.

Merrell Wakefield, Insulated, less warm than the Haven, more waterproof.

Fly boots (have a few pairs) leaky leaky piece of crap.

MariaMandarin Tue 04-Dec-12 15:08:20

Timberland boots. Really impressed with these. Got them at an outlet store for £35 and they are totally waterproof, really comfortable and look like normal footwear.

hortensemancini Tue 04-Dec-12 15:55:50

snowkey are the Joan of Arcs comfy? I'm really tempted by them, but keep reading reviews that say they rub at the back...

Snowkey Tue 04-Dec-12 17:38:12

I've had more comfortable shoes! But I have very odd feet, they are supposed to be like trainers and I struggle to buy a comfortable pair of trainers too.

lifeintheolddogyet Tue 04-Dec-12 21:26:31

Loving my Didriksons coat. I got the Lyndsey (sp?) and it's cracking. The hood's a bit OTT imo, and I have to peer around it a bit to cross the road but I genuinely love the coat. And with my ankle boots and skinnies I feel like an extra from a Scandi crime thing.

StockingFilly Tue 04-Dec-12 21:38:05

Another vote for Didrickson coats for school run-age. Sooooo light and warm!

RarelyUnreasonable Wed 05-Dec-12 08:21:09

Am very tempted by the Lindsey. olddog is it good for tall people w long arms? As a Scandi brand, I assume it is...

Littlepumpkinpie Wed 05-Dec-12 09:51:45

The Haven gets the thumbs up from me mines on its third year now its still waterproof and toasty warm.
Boots well just brought some Hi Tec St Moritze boots to replace the north face Nuptse snow boots as after very light wear are leeking. Hope the Hi Tec ones are as good as my walking boots I have in that brand which have had heavy wear and are still waterproof after 5 years and keep my feet warm and dry without ever being reproofed smile

WeightyKaty Wed 05-Dec-12 11:04:56

After recommendations on MN I bought a Didrikson Naomi - it arrived yesterday and I wore it this morning for my snowy walk to the gym. I was lovely and dry and warm too. Highly recommended!

starfleet Wed 05-Dec-12 13:57:11

Woolrich Arctic Parka - the warmest coat I have EVER had - waterproof and not too bulky and the fur bit around the hood zips off so if its raining/snowing it won't look like a bit of dead dog, lots of pockets too.

Boots - Ugg Brooks Tall, they're warm, stand up to rain and lots of standing around muddy football fields.

Another MNet Didrikson sheep disciple here. I bought the Taylor coat back in October and it is my favourite thing ever. On my profile I have put a picture of my sister (5'7", size 8) kindly modelling the coat for me in the rain.

I have not been cold or wet since, despite living in Manchester, and I had lots of compliments on it. RarelyUnreasonable, Didriksons definitely designs with tall long-armed people in mind, you will love the fit.

ruby22 Wed 05-Dec-12 20:08:46

north Face arctic parka- very very warm but not very stylish but have other coats for that.
when dry traditional Ugg boots, about 7 years old now and still v warm, again not stylish.
sheepskin insoles from celtic sheepskin, in all my winter boots, v warm toes since buying them last winter.
now need waterproof warm boots...watching with interest.

FreshGoosedandStuffedLetticia Wed 05-Dec-12 20:13:23

Barbour utility jacket, Celtic Sheepskin boots for the cold, Ryedales for the wet, North Face micro-wool fleece.
And lots of vests.

lifeintheolddogyet Wed 05-Dec-12 20:41:33

Yes Rarely I'd say it'd be OK. The sizing seems very generous and I can pull the sleeves over my hands as there's a jersey integrated cuff thing. I'm a 12-14 and bought the 12; there's enough room for a thick jumper underneath.

Fwiw, I don't generally get very excited about coats but this one's been brilliant and has had loads of compliments. grin

FirstTimeForEverything Wed 05-Dec-12 20:52:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now