Winter boots - help me please! I want something waterproof, grippy but good...

(21 Posts)
ThatBintAgain Mon 26-Nov-12 18:20:49

Ive found these, which are fab but even more expensive... sad

AndiMac Mon 26-Nov-12 11:11:05

I would concentrate on warm rather than waterproof for Iceland!

ThatBintAgain Mon 26-Nov-12 11:00:46

Andi that's interesting, thanks! It's mainly going to be for the winter here in the UK (which looks like its going to be a helluva wet one!) but also got a week walking around Iceland so want to make sure Ive got it all covered... grin

AndiMac Mon 26-Nov-12 09:37:44

Actually, if where you plan to use the boots is really going to be below freezing most of the time, you don't need waterproof, just water resistant will be fine. As it's so cold, the snow doesn't melt and therefore doesn't leave wet around to wade through. Snow itself is rarely wet when it's very cold, if that makes sense.

This is the coming from someone who grew up in Canada and has spent a lot of time in the Alps. If that's the sort of environment we are talking, water resistant is fine. For most of the UK, waterproof is probably better for snow.

ThatBintAgain Mon 26-Nov-12 09:28:59

The cushe boots are so warm and comfy- I had them for a week but had to send them back when one of the back press studs came off. And I did wonder if they'd be hard core enough for really bad weather; I didnt want to be constantly worried about wrecking them.

MrsWolowitz Mon 26-Nov-12 08:22:33

I really like those Cushe boots.

I'm sure I'm in the minority but I think they're cute and look so very comfy.

<adds them to Christmas list>

lljkk Mon 26-Nov-12 07:46:50

Cool, I just want something that survives walking around town for miles, even in the rain.

Must be nice if you can buy online (pout). I have odd feet so waste of time, must try in person.

ThatBintAgain Mon 26-Nov-12 07:33:47

Those Merrells look fab, thanks forbthe link! .

lljkk I do preferably want totally waterproof as am anticipating wading through deep snow in subzero temperatures. grin You might find boots like that in Go Outdoors or somewhere like that?

lljkk Sun 25-Nov-12 19:46:26

Those Merrell's look nice. I can't buy online though, need real life shops. I wonder what type of shops might sell something like those Merrells? Schuh? Outdoor shops?

There's waterproof & there's water resistant. I wonder if OP, like me, wants water resistant. I don't need waterproof, but something that won't get marks on it if worn in rain (like a lot of untreated suede does). That should be able to keep socks dry in ordinary levels of rain.

Most of the boots linked to will not be waterproof. My DMs for example are lovely but they leak when I wear them in rain.

I can recommend Merrell boots, definitely waterproof and very warm. There are a few offers on at the moment. such as these Oslo and these Taiga. Or these Tremblant which is what I have and I luffs them.

EricIsMine Sun 25-Nov-12 18:46:59

Seen plenty at Cheshire Oaks (mcarthur Glen outlet village today) ... Picked up a bargainous pair in North Face myself. Do you have one nearby?

ThatBintAgain Sun 25-Nov-12 17:52:11

ilovebags that seems to be a picture of a cat to colour in grin

www.freecoloring.info/img/cat2-06.gif

I have these - v comfy, waterproof and grippy in ice and snow. Perfect! Im on my 2nd winter with them now.

LaTrucha Sun 25-Nov-12 17:45:35

I have been wondering about these

ThatBintAgain Sun 25-Nov-12 17:36:07

Oh gawd, am getting no where with the search despite going shopping in real life rather than just trawling the net. So bumping in the hope that someone's going to present me the perfect pair! wink

lljkk Fri 23-Nov-12 19:31:42

I don't get the pink ribbon on the boots you linked to, ThatBin. It looks odd.

There are these, Oblomov.

Oblomov Fri 23-Nov-12 16:29:06

These are too much for Me. I too have been looking, but for something much cheaper.

ThatBintAgain Fri 23-Nov-12 16:25:53

Ooops! hopefully this will work? I tend to go for brown boots usually but the pair I just linked are nice in grey...

lljkk Fri 23-Nov-12 16:21:17

I can't get your link to work (boohoo) but am otherwise looking for similar.

What colour do you want? I tried some on today that fit fine, Goretex but suede-like outers which is what I prefer. But they are furry at the top (not sure I am a fur-at-top-of-boots type of person, and burgundy. Does burgundy go with blue jeans? What does anyone else think? And £85/pair, for which price I want to be happy with the colour.

ThatBintAgain Fri 23-Nov-12 16:19:38

I also quite like these ...

ThatBintAgain Fri 23-Nov-12 16:03:01

I like these but wondering if any of you have found anything better/cheaper?

I want something really warm and practical and that will cope with trudging through snow (not sure about the sides on the ones I've linked!) but also that looks decent.

Any suggestions? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now