Posh make up choice

(16 Posts)
ihatethecold Tue 20-Nov-12 11:36:53

I bought the Laura geller primer called spackle off qvc.
It's brilliant stuff !
I would highly recommend it. I use it under Clarins tinted moisturiser

Bobbi brown is cheaper on qvc if you like that brand. I use the cream blush called pot rouge. The pot lasts about 2 yrs.

polyhymnia Tue 20-Nov-12 11:30:28

Agree with Laura Mercier, Armani, and visit to Space NK. Just to say when you're there check out By Terry, which is one of my top favourites. Also love Becca, though they may be a bit hard to track down unless you're in London, where there's one in Fenwick's Bond St and one in South Ken.

I also like some BB things - in particular their cream eye shadow, which comes in a good range of colours.

theoriginalandbestrookie Tue 20-Nov-12 10:04:39

Liz Earle tinted moisturiser type foundation glides on nicely and the rest of their make up looks good.

However and I am a lone voice here, I like BB. I have a few of their palettes and the little silver bag is my most recent purchase which has everything apart from foundation that I need for the day. I find the assistants really helpful and they will show you how to use the stuff before you buy it.

Actually my favourite foundation at the minute is the L'oreal BB cream. It smooths on easily, gives a glow to my skin and looks really natural, plus its not expensive so I can slather it on. You don't have to pay a fortune for make up to be right for you.

I'll second Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation. I have lots of dark spots on my skin and it covers it brilliantly but doesn't look heavy. The concealer is great too. I'm loving Clinique chubby sticks at the moment too.

putonyourredshoes Tue 20-Nov-12 09:57:33

Lipstick Queen for lippy if you are going to a Space NK, well worth every penny!

Eliza22 Tue 20-Nov-12 09:50:13

I'd second (or third+) Laura Mercier. I've gone from Estée Lauder Double Wear to LM Oil Free Tinted Moisturiser. It has made a big difference to my face. It's definitely worth getting advice though. I was out for another foundation but was guided towards a tinted moisturiser. The SA removed my foundation and tried what I wanted (shade/texture) on one side of my face and what SHE to the other. I looked polished but not "full on" in the way I had been. Much better. And using the right products means it's all applied quicker!

I'm 50 now and the LM lady was the first person to say to me "you have really good skin and it has a lovely pink undertone that you should go with" instead of covering it up with a heavy colour changing foundation.

BB, I have to agree, does nothing for me. Except.... I have two eye shadows (Bone and Taupe) which really do accentuate my eyes naturally. Full stop. Drab? Maybe, but.... No one has purple/green/gold/pink metallic eye skin. I have binned all other eye makeup.

KateRuggles Tue 20-Nov-12 09:45:41

Thanks everyone, hadn't thought of Laura Mercier or Armani, have added those to my list smile I'll also be very close to a Space NK next week, so will make sure I have time for a good look round!

Dawndonna Tue 20-Nov-12 09:34:35

I use Laura Mercier primer and Liz Earle foundation. Have only just started with the Liz Earle foundation, but I have to say, I love it. Really good coverage without looking mask like. Livens up my 54 year old skin and evens out all sorts. Love, love, love it and won't be changing for a good long time.

snowybaby Tue 20-Nov-12 09:22:59

I love giorgio armani. My first step to this posh makeup as it looks so sleek..but not scary with all those colours like mac.Hate Bobby brown to the max as the SA there made me look 20 yrs older with all those earth tone colours.
I brave myself to the armani counter in harvey nics...asked them that i'm looking for a natural look day makeup...and they show me step by step without any hard selling. If you didn't like the eye makeup look like too ovedone...or too complicated..they are happily to clean it for you and try another colour.
Of course i spend loads....I'm converted. The foundation is the best thing ever...and also the mascara ( i love the comb like mascara..perfect for the beginner without feeling very heavy on the eyelashes)...and everything!! The new armani maestro foundation looks fab with lots of good reviews.

HeftyHeifer Tue 20-Nov-12 09:07:54

Definitely worth a trip to a Laura Mercier counter. The staff who work on the counter regularly are often quite good at showing you how to use stuff, but they also have travelling Laura Mercier make up artists who come into store regularly. As an example I have a Space NK near me and the artist comes in every 6 weeks or so. Easy to get an appointment, and free at my local Space Nk (cos I spend so much there ??), sometimes a £15 refundable deposit, and the ones I've seen are very skilful with makeup.

valiumredhead Tue 20-Nov-12 09:00:42

Not BB imo - over priced and dull as ditchwater and don't deliver the goods ime. I also hate Beneshit.

Mac isn't all zingy - tons of very neutral colours.

Bare Minerals would be my first choice for foundation.

Nars tinted moisturiser is brilliant and takes seconds to put on, if you can find a space nk I would also recommend going there as they can try a variety of different makes on your skin.

Mac does some lovely cream blushers which are quick to apply and aren't as bright as they look in the packaging, I also love mac powder as it gives a tiny bit of coverage but not so much that you need to cover your face.

I'm sure you may be a bit tired when going back to work so I also recommend yves saint laurent touché éclat to get rid of any dark bits smile.

I also hate benefit mascara but I do love their primers if you feel like you need a face brightener. I use a variety of mascara but find clinique pretty good.

Good luck!

ifancyashandy Tue 20-Nov-12 08:38:38

Laura Mercier is a lovely. Great colours, textures and her Illuminating Tinted Moisturiser is gods work.

Saintsfan Tue 20-Nov-12 08:35:39

For Foundation, I have tried a lot and the best IMO is Estée Lauder Doublewear. It lasts ages and gives a nice finish. Good luck with going back to work!

Tweet2tweet Tue 20-Nov-12 08:33:07

Bobbi Brown is good but you could also check out Clinique and Clarins do a make up range.

Space NK are also good for more cult finds if you have one close by.

All the best for your return to work!

KateRuggles Mon 19-Nov-12 15:59:01

I'm coming to the end of maternity leave and looking to spend some money on make up - have access to counters for most big brands, and don't know which to go for! I'd want them to show me how to use the stuff, and would ideally like to look polished, but not ancient.

Is Bobbi Brown the best choice, or a bit dull? Hate Benefit mascara and foundations ( way too orange) Don't want anything too colour zingy like Mac, and usual going back to work things apply-needs to last a reasonable amount of time, should be able to put on a proper face quickly etc. Where should I start?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now