AIBU to think Orla Kiely is over?

(60 Posts)
whataboutbob Sat 17-Nov-12 14:31:49

You can't move for bold graphic prints, and retro apples and pears. I used to covet her stuff but now it's everywhere- in Sainsbury's, Uniqlo, Paperchase, Tescos and soon no doubt Specsavers and Boots. Half the high street seems to be wearing an Orla Kiely Uniqlo autumn collection scarf. Is she cheapening the brand? Is she the new Boden? And will she lose her appeal as a result? I think she has for me.

Devora Tue 20-Nov-12 22:38:20

I REALLY like Orla Kiely prints. But I have kept myself strictly limited to one bit of crockery and one handbag, because she is completely over-exposed.

I think it should be a law: you are allowed ONE item from Orla Kiely, Cath Kidston, Emma Bridgewater, Clarissa Hulse. Any more and a klaxon sounds in the style police station and they'll come and nick you.

polyhymnia Tue 20-Nov-12 22:34:20

Agree - but then again I don't like Mulberry either - just so predictable and too much shiny bling on some styles.

Londonista1975 Tue 20-Nov-12 22:08:50

I've never liked her print designs - dated and too identifiable for my taste. Tbh, I'm surprised she's lasted so long, especilly in the current economic climate. I mean it's not like she's got a hugely coveted luxury brand, one that's aspiritational (unlike Mulberry, for example), yet her stuff is hardly cheap.

kablecar Tue 20-Nov-12 11:27:57

I love Orla Kiely! it only makes me happy to see that there is much more choice now especially for anyone who can't afford all the high end range! It's not everyone's taste but that's why it's so great, She doesn't design for the world to approve she designs what she likes which you can't say about many other brands these days :-)

@fridgepants yes think you have the dates wrong, I sign up to the newsletter so for any of those who want to know

Shop 14
The Old Truman Brewery
Elys Yard entrance
15 Hanbury Street
London
E1 6QR

Nearest tube stations
Aldgate East
Liverpool Street
Shoreditch High Street

Thursday 29th Nov 11am to 7pm
Friday 30th Nov11am to 7pm
Saturday 1st Dec11am to 6pm
Sunday 2nd Dec11am to 4pm

£1 entry fee - all proceeds go to charity

ifancyashandy Tue 20-Nov-12 10:55:43

Can't abide Orla stuff. Horrible colours and boring, unimaginative prints. Long may it be over!

gingerbreadbaby Tue 20-Nov-12 10:43:33

Personally I love her stuff and can't get enough, it's nice being able to purchase unique prints which you don't find in the likes of h&m and other high street stores. The Uniqlo collaboration just made it affordable!

Tweet2tweet Tue 20-Nov-12 10:23:39

I love the actual Orla Kiely line- the one that isn't diluted to be sold on the high street.

However I have made a few observations over the last year which are not good:
- Many of the items now include polyester mix! At over £300 for dress this is unforgivable

- The prices have been hiked up. I can't afford them but sometimes tried to buy something in the sale. Some times have had a 50% increase!

- The length of dresses/skirts has become much shorter which means it's not so good for anyone who wants to look classy/truly retro. Only '60/70's style should be mini. The 40/50's should be just below the knee to work IMO

- This designer also needs to refresh some of her ideas. Although I think that some of the designs are delightful she seems to be reusing ideas with different buttons/slightly different cut.

EllenParsons Tue 20-Nov-12 00:24:42

I have one of the uniqlo scarves which I got for a tenner and really like, but a lot of the prints are not my style and I'm not into her in a big way.

polyhymnia Mon 19-Nov-12 22:29:09

I obviously haven't read Grazia carefully enough - except for the fashion and beauty. As for Ms Hinsliff she styles herself their political correspondent but I wouldn't go to Grazia for political analysis and comment so have barely skimmed her page.

chipstick10 Mon 19-Nov-12 22:10:56

Is she horrible because she's a Tory or she's horrible and just happens to be a Tory.? confused

Djembe Mon 19-Nov-12 20:07:48

Grazia's articles are pretty anti-feminist at the least, in every one (I subscribe but for the fashion!) there is at least one article slagging off women who 'try to have it all' and their political woman Gaby Hinsliff is just a horrible Tory.

I do have a Uniqlo Orla scarf though smile

whataboutbob Mon 19-Nov-12 19:42:13

Oh dear I've given the impression I'm into Louis Vuitton- I'm not! But I was just observing they know how to be ubiquitous and still desirable to many. Their biggest market is probably the Far East.

polyhymnia Mon 19-Nov-12 17:03:11

Just googled the OK Uniqlo scarves online out of curiosity and can honestly say I think they are all hideous. And so 'same old thing'. A

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 19-Nov-12 16:52:48

and I had the same thought as I walked past the Cath Kidson shop today. Wondered just how much longer it would be open

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 19-Nov-12 16:51:14

I agree YANBU! I was just thinking the other day that her type of prints are everywhere, mostly on changing bags so it would seem and pushchairs

doyouwantfrieswiththat Mon 19-Nov-12 16:50:02

Retro? Can't say I've seen much that doesn't have a historical reference...but then I'm so old...grin
When future designers are referencing this decade I wonder wnat they'll choose?

chipstick10 Mon 19-Nov-12 15:54:38

I liked her range for uniqglo and purchased several of the dresses in the summer and autumn range. I also still occasionally use my lv bags and have been known to use them whilst wearing Orla. So there

squoosh Mon 19-Nov-12 15:25:15

Even Next are jumping on the clashing prints bandwagon.

When Next is doing it, you know it's over.

dexter73 Mon 19-Nov-12 15:19:00

Bit like Boden, DonaAna! (I will get lynched for saying that!)

DonaAna Mon 19-Nov-12 14:39:22

I know someone who wears a lot of Orla Kiely and it looks just so dated on her. Retro prints were fresh and in-your-face-outrageous in a good way in the early 2000s, that is, 10 years ago.

Now they just look tired and sad and a bit middle-aged.

fridgepants Mon 19-Nov-12 13:48:34

Or Painfully Thin, of course.

fridgepants Mon 19-Nov-12 13:48:20

"Grazia can't be misogynistic because it's market is female" - it's not impossible. Have you read Closer lately? Every article, regardless of subject, quotes the person's dress size, and then their height so that you can work out precisely how fat she is.

Plumpcious Mon 19-Nov-12 12:56:51

For those who still like Orla, details of the next sample sale:

www.trumanbrewery.com/cgi-bin/comingup.pl

Orla Kiely Autumn/ Winter Sample Sale
Shop 14, 15 Hanbury Street

Thursday 29th November - Sunday 2nd of December 2012
Thurs & Fri 11am - 7pm | Sat 11am - 6pm | Sun 11am - 4pm

Orla Kiely are holding an exclusive sample sale from AW11 season including dresses, coats, knitwear, leather and laminated handbags. Stock is replenished daily.
Admission: £1 for charity

polyhymnia Mon 19-Nov-12 10:01:52

Agree LV are horrible too.

EIizaDay Mon 19-Nov-12 09:11:33

Oh Bob, I think Louis Vuitton are much more unattractive than Orla Kiely - all that horrible LV and plastic looking handbags. Awful, awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now