Benefits and gap year.

(4 Posts)
BillyNoAmigos Sun 07-Jul-13 14:09:37

Oh dear. Anna that's what I feared.

We are going to the council office tomorrow to ask as it's all horribly confusing and we need to ask someone who knows this stuff.

AnnaBegins Sun 07-Jul-13 13:56:07

Hi Billy, my friend was in a similar situation with regards to taking a year out. Unfortunately it's bad news, she couldn't claim benefits (or even carers allowance for caring for her mum) as she was technically still a student according to the DWP, but couldn't get an extra year's student loan either as to the student loan company she wasn't a student! It is a stupid set up and she even got her MP involved but to no avail.

Students used to be able to sign on in the holidays but not for many years now.

My friend eventually found some bar work - is this an option if your DP is around in the evenings to look after the little one?

OddBoots Sun 07-Jul-13 13:51:50

If you are trying to find work they I don't see why you couldn't claim although I don't know how much you'd get with your DP working. You'll only know if you go and try to claim, try putting your details in www.turn2us.org.uk/ and see what it says.

As a side note, what have your Uni said about fees? It's my understanding that a gap means you change over to the new fees/loans if it is your first degree or you have to pay international rates if you already have a degree.

BillyNoAmigos Sun 07-Jul-13 13:45:26

Hi there, I hope someone on here can help because I am so confused.

Basically I was in my second year of uni, which finished in April. Found out I was expecting also in April so immediately contacted uni and deferred my place. So instead of going back this September to do the final year, I will be going back Sept '14.

I don't have a job, and have been looking for over a year to no avail. I am completely broke and living off DP wage which at around £700 a month is not enough money.

I was wondering am I allowed to claim JSA or other benefits whilst being on a gap year? I was led to believe that you can't claim anything if you're a student, but others have said you can claim during summer holidays.

Anyone have any experience of this and know what is the best route to go down?

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now