I am starting a Law degree soon - where is your study space?

(41 Posts)
TickleMyTitsTillFriday Mon 10-Jun-13 12:37:16

I have officially enrolled with the open university to do a law degree! I am beyond nervous, but also determined to put my all into it and do the best I possibly can.

One thing that I would really like to get sorted before I start my access module in October, is where to have my study space.

I am quite lucky in the respect that I have a few choices - the kitchen, the dining room or my bedroom...

I am veering away from the bedroom idea, as quite frankly I have other things to be getting on with in there (like sleep wink) so i guess its between the dining room and kitchen.

Where do you have your study space? Oh and if anyone has done the Law degree or is doing it, any advice would be very welcome!

tungthai Mon 10-Jun-13 12:48:43

I'm going to be doing Law with Psychology starting Sept 14. My study space is a corner of the landing. A corner of any room will do. As long as you have a laptop and some box files you can set up pretty much anywhere. I hear there is lots of material with Law so perhaps a shelf or two somewhere would be useful too.

Good luck!

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Mon 10-Jun-13 13:26:09

Thank you! Good luck to you too. Are you going to be studying with the OU too?

Thats a good point about the books, i think a trip to Ikea for bookshelves and nice things may be on the cards...

tungthai Mon 10-Jun-13 13:32:21

I'm planning on studying with BPP university college. I've heard that the OU is very well regarded for Law but I want to get it done within 4 years and that will be quite tricky with the OU unless I study for double modules and I don't think I could manage that with working as well.

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Mon 10-Jun-13 13:56:38

No that makes sense. I think with the access module it's going to take me 7 years. Life begins at 40 , right? wink

MaterFacit Mon 10-Jun-13 14:24:02

If you have lots of books and notes its much easier of you can spread them out- dining tables are perfect for this, but not if you are going to be disturbed all the time by people going to the kitchen etc.

I'm lucky enough to have a little home office with a sofa and a desk in it (and lots of bookshelves too of course), but in the past I have mostly used dining tables so I could spread out a bit.

Good luck for September

tungthai Mon 10-Jun-13 14:50:24

I'm hoping so Tickle!

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Mon 10-Jun-13 15:13:22

Thanks Mater. In that case the dining room makes perfect sense as I would have a desk and a dining table behind me for extra spreading out room!

MaterFacit Mon 10-Jun-13 15:57:05

Sounds perfect tickle. You are also less likely to have your books and essays picking up cooking smells- DH once marked a project that smelt strongly of bacon! Made us both ravenous!

ThePlEWhoLovedMe Mon 10-Jun-13 18:25:42

I keep all my books/notes on the desk in the dining room but study on the dining room table so I can spread out (3rd year S/W)

sandiy Sun 16-Jun-13 08:05:31

I've got a big plastic box that I keep papers etc in I put it in the dresser when I'm not using it.I learned the hard way not to leave anything lying about I work in the kitchen diner at the table to be honest it's a struggle sometimes But I'm nearly done so worth it in the end good luck

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sun 16-Jun-13 17:55:28

Thanks all smile that's a good idea sandiy.

I'm off to IKEA soon so will get some supplies. Just itching to get started now!

youaintallthat Wed 19-Jun-13 16:36:41

Hi don't know if anyone still checks this thread...I am really interested in law, I am a nurse so quite interested in medical / child / social law as opposed to accounting, mergers etc...sorry if I sound clueless it's because I am.
I don't want to be a solicitor but want to leave nursing and study law also at ou but would like to know what sort of jobs you can get with a law degree in the areas I am interested in on successful completion of studies....many thanks smile

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Fri 21-Jun-13 17:39:54

I'm on the bus at the moment youaintallthat but will be sure to come back later and post some links...

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Fri 21-Jun-13 17:41:46
youaintallthat Sat 22-Jun-13 20:31:16

Thank you will have a look and good luck with your course smile

Ilovediago Tue 25-Jun-13 23:38:45

I am going onto my second year of a law degree and you will need book shelves and lots of them! Law books are big, heavy and you will need a lot of them.

My study space varies though, from the dining room area to my room to a corner of the spare room, it really does not matter if it is clean, well lit and not covered in jam smile

VitoCorleone Sun 21-Jul-13 20:19:35

Im doing exactly the same as you Tickle (we both mentioned it on another thread)

Have you actually registered yet! I will be calling this week to register.

Im so excited and plan to use the kitchen table until i can maybe transform my utility room into a little office.

VitoCorleone Sun 21-Jul-13 20:20:08

That should have been '?' not '!'

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sun 21-Jul-13 20:29:07

Yep, all registered and have student finance agreed, I'm in the "oh shit, what have I done?!" phase at the moment...

VitoCorleone Sun 21-Jul-13 20:51:56

Im calling to register in the morning, just looking through the prospectus again now. How exciting and nerve wracking at the same time!

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Sun 21-Jul-13 21:11:53

Excellent smile I'm reading letters to a law student at the moment, would highly recommend it!

VitoCorleone Sun 21-Jul-13 21:31:48

Ooh cool will have to look out for it. Im currently reading The Employment Law Checklist smile

VitoCorleone Mon 22-Jul-13 17:04:43

Registered this morning, now just waiting for the finance stuff in the post smile

TickleMyTitsTillFriday Wed 24-Jul-13 08:21:52

Fab! I heard back from student finance so quickly, I was really surprised. Do you know official start date of access course?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now