Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Tell EE how you teach your children to share – you could win an (unlocked) HTC One handset worth £490! NOW CLOSED

(137 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 16-Sep-13 13:50:07

The folks at EE would like to know how Mumsnetters teach their DCs to share.

Here's what EE have to say "We're the UK's biggest mobile network and we've just created Shared #4GEE Plans. They're a new way for your household to save money while getting the fastest mobile internet experience on your phones, tablets and laptops.

A Shared 4GEE Plan allows your whole family to enjoy the fastest speeds on EE's 4G network. It works by letting you share your data allowance across a number of devices, with everyone enjoying unlimited minutes and unlimited texts too. Even better, it's less money than having everyone on separate mobile contracts.

Shared 4G Plans are unique to EE and we wanted to celebrate their launch by asking you how sharing fits into your busy life."

So,
~ What are your top tips for getting your children to share with their siblings and/or friends? Do you reward your children when they share to encourage good behaviour? Perhaps you buy one item for all of your children to share instead of buying one for each of them? What different strategies did you use to teach your DCs to share? Has this changed as they've got older?
~ How much of a struggle was it to get your children to share with their siblings, friends or even you? Or maybe this has never been an issue for you and your family?

Whatever your experiences please do share on this thread (no pun intended wink).

Everyone who adds their thoughts and comments to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win an (unlocked) HTC One handset (worth up to £490!). For full T&Cs please click here.

Please note your comments may be used (anonymously of course) on EE's pages on MN, social media channels and possibly elsewhere.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

There is two years between our eldest boys and they have always got along well and shared everything as that's what they have been used to with having a sibling so sharing really has never been an issue in our house. Our youngest is 15 months, with a nine year age gap so maybe with him it will need a little more encouragement.

telsa Mon 30-Sep-13 09:15:04

I teach my children to share by sharing my things with them and showing how it works reciprocally. We also turn it into little games to do with fractions and numbers, which they seem to enjoy!

ArrowToTheKnee Mon 30-Sep-13 11:09:39

If my two are refusing to share nicely, the toy gets taken away and put in a time out. After that they always play together a lot better!

LifeOfMummy Mon 30-Sep-13 11:10:34

I have six children and I let them take it in turns to share out sweets, they share chores by using a rota system. Due to teaching them these basic ways of sharing it has encouraged them to naturally be able to share without arguing as they play.

Tortoise Mon 30-Sep-13 12:55:40

Mine have always been pretty good at sharing or taking turns possibly because there's 4 of them, it's something they have grown up having to do. They automatically share, even my 14yr old will share sweets that he has bought for himself with his own money.
If it's the laptop, they have an hour each and know looking at the clock when it's time to come off.

RubyRR Mon 30-Sep-13 14:20:22

I've always said its nice to share-unless it's my chocolate. I think the lesson lies in honesty, sometimes sharing is the right thing to do even when you don't want to. There was a clip on Chucklevision where they are sharing it sweets, one for you two for me, it isn't fair but I do think there is a natural wanting of some things more than others, whilst I have always encouraged sharing it's with flexibility, if you say no computer after half an hour but they are on a little longer to finish something they know that time comes off next time. They are not always great at sharing with siblings, very generous with friends though.

debsh09 Tue 01-Oct-13 09:47:17

My little girl always shares with everyone even if she has a packet of sweets she will pass them to everyone in the room. We started by giving her a toy and letting her play with it then getting her to pass it to the next person for the same amount of time. It was really easy to get our daughter to share though because she is a very kind girl

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 01-Oct-13 17:05:31

Thank you everyone for adding your comments, this thread has now closed. Congratulations to supermariossister who has won the prize draw for an HTC One handset!

grin thank you! I'm so pleased, might even let the children have a go in the interest of sharing! smile

Support them so don't just go to toddlers & ignore them play with them to help them learning to share.

no word from EE yet, i want to play with new phone grin will have to watch some more reviews

christmaself3 Tue 31-Dec-13 21:17:51

i don't know why promoters bother with competitions,half the stuff here i have has been copied off the internet-happy copying sad xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now