Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

NOW CLOSED: Let’s talk cleaning windows: Win one of two top of the range Karcher WV 70 Window Vacs (£99.99) for your thoughts...

(209 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 19-Jun-13 11:38:14

We've been asked by the team at Kärcher to find out your thoughts on cleaning windows - inside and out. They'd also love to get your feedback on the idea of their Window Vac.

Kärcher say "With Kärcher Window Vacuums you can save time when cleaning smooth surfaces such as windows, tiles and mirrors - without leaving streaks. The innovative water recovery system takes up dirty water before it drips - and it can be used anywhere because it is battery-operated!"

So please let us know on this thread......

~ Who in your house cleans the windows or do you get someone to come in? What about inside and outside windows?

~ How often your windows get a clean? (inside and out)?

~ How much time would you/ your partner be prepared to spend cleaning the windows in your house? What problems, if any, are encountered?

~ Had you heard of the Kärcher Window Vac before today? Do you have one in your household? Would you contemplate trying one out? Why? What do you think of it? Where else do you think you'd use it?

Add your thoughts and you'll be entered into a prize draw where two MNers will each win a Kärcher Window Vac worth £99.99 (top of the range one grin)

Thanks, MNHQ

Sam100 Fri 28-Jun-13 14:45:07

~ Who in your house cleans the windows or do you get someone to come in? What about inside and outside windows?

We have a window cleaner come once a month to do the outside then I clean the insides - probably not as often as I should!

Outside - once a month. Inside - when it is really sunny and I cannot stand the smears!

~ How much time would you/ your partner be prepared to spend cleaning the windows in your house? What problems, if any, are encountered?

Main problems are not having enough time to do a proper job - I like to do properly with bucket of soapy water, squeegee and cloth to buff. But unless I do one set each night I never get a chance to do whole house in one go as I work full time. I invariably end up doing with a window spray and kitchen towel which always looks horrid.

~ Had you heard of the Kärcher Window Vac before today? Do you have one in your household? Would you contemplate trying one out? Why? What do you think of it? Where else do you think you'd use it?

I have heard of it and would like to try one but am worried it would just be another gadget in the cupboard that does not get used.

If I had one I'd try it out on the bathroom tiles, the mirrors, the car - heck I'd try it out on the kids and see if I can finally get their hands clean!

Window cleaner does the outside windows for us twice monthly during the summer.... insides get done 'less often' by me. (Ie: Once in a blue moon.) They are disgusting though- we have floor to ceiling windows and a toddler blush

I don't like faffing so I literally want the cleaning to be done in a jiffy.

I have heard of Karcher window vac as MIL has one that I covet.
I'd use it in the bathrooms, on the huge living room windows, bathroom tiles (4 bathrooms lovely to have but not to clean.)

Hellohippo Fri 28-Jun-13 19:09:36

I do inside OH does outside, that's the deal since the window cleaner scaled the roof to do front and back and was wanting£8 per week.
when we notice they look bad, usually its OH who does outside and I realise how bad the insides are.
~ How much time would you/ your partner be prepared to spend cleaning the windows in your house? What problems, if any, are encountered? We have some large windows, seems to take ages, rewarding though. I try to keep on top if it by doing the windows when I do the cleaning in each room. Problem is access with ladders for outside and the trailing hosepipe and splash back.

~ Had you heard of the Kärcher Window Vac before today? Do you have one in your household? Would you contemplate trying one out? Why? What do you think of it? Where else do you think you'd use it? I have heard of it, I work with someone who loves hers. I would like to try one before buying to see what difference it makes. I think it's a great idea and the main reason I'd like one is for condensation in winter but also for the shower cubicle it looks quick enough to use after each shower.

ladyandthechocolate Sat 29-Jun-13 19:43:06

Who in your house cleans the windows or do you get someone to come in? What about inside and outside windows?

The window cleaner does the outside and I do the inside (when I can bothered or can no longer see out very well!

How often your windows get a clean? (inside and out)?
Inside 4-6 weeks, outside monthly

How much time would you/ your partner be prepared to spend cleaning the windows in your house? What problems, if any, are encountered?

About 5 mins per window, sometimes it's hard to stop them looking streaky.

Had you heard of the Kärcher Window Vac before today? Do you have one in your household? Would you contemplate trying one out? Why? What do you think of it? Where else do you think you'd use it?

I have heard of it but couldn't justify the expense. Would def try it though also on the shower cubicle.

littlemonkeychops Sun 30-Jun-13 18:01:13

The other week we had our outside windows cleaned for the first time since we moved in 3.5 years ago! They looked

littlemonkeychops Sun 30-Jun-13 18:06:53

Argh posted too soon! They looked nice for a few days and i've booked them to be done every 6 months, don't see the point in getting them done more often as it's just another expense.

I do the insides myself every couple of months. Doesn't take too long but the smears that i always seem to end up with do annoy me.

Not heard of the window vac and would be v.interested to try one if it would be streak free, and especially if it can be used outside and so save the cost of the window cleaner.

I'd be willing to spend an hour or two doing them.

ratbagcatbag Mon 01-Jul-13 12:20:47

I have a window cleaner who comes and does the outside, I think I've done the inside once in ten years I've lived here.

The outsides every four weeks ish, the insides maybe once every ten years blush

I'd be happy to spend an hour or so on all windows, the problem is the one time in ten years I did clean them the streaks were horrendous, and I felt looked even worse than being dirty.

I have heard of the Window vac, me and DH saw the advert, he'd love one and then my windows would get cleaned smile however it's trying to justify the cost of one, for something I do every ten years (currently) I'd love to try one to see if it loves up to the hype and I think it would be fab on the floor to ceiling mirror in the spare room. I'd also give it a go on the tiles bathroom walls, I think I'd find that more beneficial on that to be honest.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Jul-13 13:43:43

hello - thanks for all your comments and feedback.
Am pleased to say the 2 winners are SunshineBossaNova and Moominsarehippos well done envy smile - enjoy!

Elainey1609 Wed 03-Jul-13 22:36:30

The window cleaners clean outside once a month while I do the inside I try to ado them at a similar time, washing all the nets and curtains aswell.

Would spend as little time as possible as cleaning the windows is one of the most labour intensive jobs and at times seems a waste of time.
I do them one day wake up in the morning and they are dirty again.

Ive never heard of it to be honest, I am always up for something that will improve the time spend on cleaning and something that makes my life easier.
However that's my problem...I have a lot of similar gadgets that do different things around the house that never live up to my expectations....would this just join that selection

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now