Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Take a look at the LifeSkills programme and let us know your thoughts for your chance to win £200 of John Lewis vouchers - NOW CLOSED

(83 Posts)
KatieBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 14-Jun-13 16:24:02

You might have seen that Mumsnet is supporting the new LifeSkills programme, created with Barclays. It's something we all feel passionate about, and as you've told us, young people need help if they're going to get into the world of work.

Take a look at LifeSkills, and tell us how you think it's doing? Pledge your support by clicking on the widget above.

LifeSkills Work Week runs from 17 to 21 June 2013 and is an opportunity for schools to get their pupils involved in a range of work-related opportunities, from LifeSkills workshops and resources, careers fairs and business and parent speaking opportunities as well as getting their students out on work experience opportunities.

There are lots of ways you can support the LifeSkills movement. And if you're already getting involved, let us know how!

Let us know your thoughts on this thread - everyone who adds a comment or shares how they are supporting the programme will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £200 John Lewis voucher.

Thanks

MNHQ

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 03-Jul-13 12:19:15

Thanks for all the feedback - the thread has been shared with the senior team on LifeSkills and they say "Thanks very much for all the feedback - there certainly are some useful points raised for us to look at in terms of developing the programme"

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 01-Jul-13 13:25:19

Hi - thanks for all the comments. Am pleased to say Hopezibah has been selected as the winner of the £200 voucher. Well done.

ratbagcatbag Mon 01-Jul-13 12:41:09

Hmmm, I with others here who are suspicious about the reasons behind barclays doing this, I also dislike that the school must be signed up for students to access all areas.

That all said, I think the site is really good and easy to navigate, my DSS goes into year 11 in sept and is already considering apprenticeships etc, so will find a lot of the cv writing and interview tips really helpful as he s worried about this aspect of job hunting (most important bits then)

I've sent the link to his mum to get her to have a look through and I also think the guidance for parents in useful too. All in all a good idea, but I woud feel happier if it was a range of businesses covering different sectors offering it.

Finally I didn't realise that schools now funded their own careers advice and will be making a point of finding what my DSS school offers in terms if this service.

florencebabyjo Sat 29-Jun-13 16:25:15

This looks great and I am looking into whether I could help by offering a work placement in my catering business. Am also wondering though, what Barclays are getting out of it, or maybe that's just me being cynical?

aftermay Fri 28-Jun-13 21:07:10

They are not paying for apprenticeships and not talking about learning on the job.

peronel Fri 28-Jun-13 14:13:26

Seems a great idea. Apprenticeships are what are needed for school leavers to learn on the job and get paid at the same time, with the older generation passing on their skills.

v3an Thu 27-Jun-13 22:26:38

excellent idea to be provided by a private business to young ones!

Roselau Wed 26-Jun-13 06:35:02

very good idea to provide kids with that kind of support. unfortunately there are things that schools don;t teach.

aftermay Tue 25-Jun-13 05:51:50

That's not going to win me £200 smile

aftermay Tue 25-Jun-13 05:50:45

Gazzalw - you say you're not usually a big Barclays fan but this makes you look at them in a more positive light. Success! That's probably the true intention. Smooth out the parents, start young on the children. Marketing at its best. Throw in some CV writing and being shown around a kickass office. Job done.

hotair Mon 24-Jun-13 19:47:38

Hmm I think it looks like an ok idea but the reasons young people are unprepared for work require a lot more input than just CV skills and some work experience. We need real focused career guidance, starting before GCSE's and focused on mentoring and inspiring people to believe that they can achieve their goals, and helping them to know what are realistic goals. I think teenagers is too late- it's 11 and 12 year olds who need this.

FaresPlease Sun 23-Jun-13 21:39:20

It looks like a really positive concept. And maybe Barclays are getting involved just 'to look good', but if young people are reaping the benefits, perhaps that doesn't matter??

I'm not sure how good careers advice is within schools these days(DC not at that stage yet) but in my day it was shockingly poor. I so wish I'd had better guidance and more exposure to the actual world of work, rather than reading 'job descriptions' from a folder in the careers room at school!

whattodoo Sun 23-Jun-13 10:14:49

I think its a great idea, although nervous about it being sponsored by one corporate.
I think that work shadowing/work experience can be good, as long as a good agenda is set in place and the placement doesn't turn up without a proper plan in place, including areas they are interested in, 'real life' work experiences and a chance to chat to various members of staff about what their role involves. Don't just use them as a photocopier!

kslatts Sun 23-Jun-13 08:57:06

I think it's a great idea as this is an area which I do think it lacking in schools.

gazzalw Sat 22-Jun-13 18:17:50

I think it's essential to give teenagers this type of Lifeskills approach. Although teens are much more savvy than we were about many things, I get the feeling that they are a lot more mollycoddled too and just need that extra help to get 'skilled up'

I am not normally a big Barclays fan but have to say that this makes me look at them in a more positive way - well done to them.

chrismse Sat 22-Jun-13 14:25:06

I like it I think it is easy to be critical but I work with young people and any that prepares them for working is good.

lorisparkle Sat 22-Jun-13 00:19:22

It is such a shame that schools and services supporting schools are not funded properly to offer this as part of the curriculum for ALL students. It is all part of the plan to 'privatise' and add 'competition' to our education system which will only benefit the well off and vocal minority. Schools should be encouraged and funded to work together with each other and the local community to build this type of service.

lorka Fri 21-Jun-13 23:47:36

I think this sounds great - we never got anything like this at school and I think I would have benefited greatly from this. My little ones are too young for this at the moment but it will be interesting to see what sort of guidance is in place when they start high school. Our children and their future are so important that anything that helps them on their way gets a big thumbs up from me!

wibblyjelly Fri 21-Jun-13 21:21:19

I think its an excellent opportunity for kids to get involved, especially with the work experience, which will be invaluable.

poachedeggs Fri 21-Jun-13 20:27:12

I think this sort of teaching and support is dreadfully lacking these days. We've had done outstanding students through my workplace in recent years, very bright and able people, who've had no concept of the workplace, no concept of creating a good image and the importance of professionalism and no concept of money, its worth and how to manage it. It makes an employer's job harder because young people are having to be spoon fed basic stuff which they should know.

I liker the sound of this initiative but agree that it should really be offered as part of a comprehensive encompassing curriculum in schools.

madeofkent Fri 21-Jun-13 15:10:22

Barclays isn't the only one to do it, as mentioned on TV, BT also do it. My son went on their course last year and loved it. He was able to try out several departments and came away confident that he was never going to become an accountant unless he was about to starve. As it is run in London he was even able to commute. His school does run lots of courses but as we are rural, there is little to experience locally unless you want to drive a combine or sell one. The staff at BT were amazing, communicating with me regularly when there were cancelled trains and so on. I don't care who funds it as long as it happens. If Barclays are hoping that my son will open an overdrawn account with them, that's their lookout!

katiewalters Fri 21-Jun-13 14:39:44

i think its a great idea to get young people ready for work, and hopefully it will benefit them, in them being able to find jobs, as in this day and age getting a job isnt easy to do. i hope a lot of schools and work places sign up to it, to enable the young people to get the skills and work experience, which i think is just as important these days as the qualifications. maybe in the future it should be something that is essential for all young people to do.

pussinwellyboots Fri 21-Jun-13 05:59:30

I think it looks very good.
I, like many others hadn't realised that schools were responsible for funding their own careers advice now.

It is such a waste of talent and potential when a young person ends up outside of work (or training or education) so anything that prepares them for the workplace has to be a good thing.

OpalFruitshoot Thu 20-Jun-13 23:03:00

What a great is idea. I wish this had been around when I was a teenager.

newfashionedmum Thu 20-Jun-13 21:34:20

I thought this was called 'work experience' and careers advice ad that schools did it anyway? I don't like it being provided by private sector partners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now