Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

Do your children get 60 mins of active time a day? Add your comment and you could win a £100 voucher - NOW CLOSED

(217 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 11-Jun-13 14:06:40

We've been asked by the team at Seara to find out if (and how) your children (aged 5-18) (and other children you know) are getting the full recommended 60 minutes of physical activity a day?

For guidelines see the NHS Choices site

Please share your thoughts and experiences on this thread. Please also share your tips for what you do to encourage your DC's to be active - or what you do with your DC's to get them active?

Share your tips etc on this thread and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £100 Love2Shop voucher.

We do recognise that, for various reasons, not all children (or adults) are able to reach the target of 60 minutes of exercise per day - and that 'exercise' can mean different things for different people. If this is the case for your child, do also feel free to share your experiences about how you encourage physical activity in ways that are consistent with their capacities.

thanks and good luck
MNHQ

Also: Seara are running a "Grassroots To Greatness Competition" at the moment: enter your childs' football team into the competition for their chance to win a Seara football sponsorship for next season - worth £3,000! More details here www.seara.co.uk

The 8 and 5 yos, yes, easily. Running manically around the playground for 2 playtimes and a lunchbreak. And then a good hour or more of running manically around the house after tea. Or in the garden when it's nice.

Mind you, if the 5yo does too much exercise I'll be following him around saying "just stop and have some sweets/juice/biscuits" - he's diabetic. The trampoline is known as the "Hypo Machine".

The 11yo - hmm, doubt it. She does a lot of walking, a bit of trampolining, school PE, some cycling and swimming. But if you added it all up - maybe 30 minutes a day. More when the weather is nice.

manfalou Tue 11-Jun-13 18:53:16

My 2 .5 year old does MOST days. if its rubbish outdoors then theres not much for him to do in the means of 'exercise' indoors. If its a nice day we'll walk to the park or he'll spend most of the day outdoors doing something active. His Nursery is too far away to talk to unfortunately but I know he rides the bikes ALOT at nursery. He will be starting swimming lessons when he turns three and also jujitsu classes so from October he will be more active than ever =) My 2nd child is only 8 weeks old... I'd have fun trying to get him to ride a bike ;)

Kaffiene Tue 11-Jun-13 18:59:21

Easily - more like 2 hrs a day but she is still in nursery. I do worry about how we will fit it in when she starts school. DD has cerebral palsy and uses a walking frame but we always aim for a min 60mins of activity each day, doing different types if exercise.
She does swimming lessons and fun swimming, gymnastics, cycling, sports clubs and Physio as well as play parks etc. On very cold days we take her to shopping malls to make sure she has enough exercise.
We try to make her as active as possible in everyday life so it becomes a life habit which will help her in the future.

KatyMac Tue 11-Jun-13 19:03:36

DD is 15 & does about 16 hours a week of dance plus has several walks of about 3 miles (more in the holidays)

In about 18 months this will rise to approx 25 hours plus a daily walk (of I don't know what distance)

trockodile Tue 11-Jun-13 19:16:46

Pretty easily I would say-DS is 8 and plays sport 4-5 times a week at school + copious outdoor play also at school. Swimming lesson once a week and swimming with family at weekend. Usually cycles while DH runs 10-15 miles at weekend. Also family walks 1-2 times a week.
I generally find that asking-especially if it takes him away from TV!-is less successful than presenting it as a fait accompli-'after we go for a cycle, we will come home and have a movie night'

Jinsei Tue 11-Jun-13 19:17:45

Hmm, I think dd (8) gets a decent amount of exercise most days, but she could probably do a bit more.

We always walk to school and back, but that's only five minutes so doesn't amount to much! We also tend to do quite a bit of walking at the weekends. DD goes to dance classes three times a week (2 x 45 mins and 1 x 1.5hrs), and goes to a couple of extra-curricular sports clubs in school. Then there is school PE and all the incidental exercise that she probably gets from running round the playground, playing in the garden, going to the park, Doing wii dance etc. I am pretty sure she gets at least an hour of activity five days a week, less confident about the other two days.

Might need to step up the activity a bit on the other days!

BellaVida Tue 11-Jun-13 19:23:01

My older 3 DCs definitely do 5/6 days a week. Sunday is their day or rest.....and homework!

They are constantly I running around and playtimes alone covers this. As well, my eldest goes into school early every day to play football. My DS's do formal games lessons 3 times a week, plus 2 after school clubs for football and cricket or rugby. My DD does the same plus gymnastics at the weekend.

My youngest DD is 2 and doesn't really do 'proper' classes, but does a lot of soft play and is always doing gymnastics or freestyle dancing around the house! As soon as she is old enough she will be doing gymnastics too.

They sometimes do extra activities and swimming crash courses etc in the holidays too, as well as the usual time spent in the park.

They are all slim, healthy and bounding with energy, I am not! My exercise routine (or lack of one) is definitely the worst as it consists solely of running around after those 4. I find it almost impossible, as I never get time to myself, except when they are all in bed, by which point I am exhausted. I used to run, do aerobics, dance and be a lot slimmer and healthier. I am desperate to get back to where I was!

If I win a voucher, it free up some money towards classes of some sort to start after the summer when my youngest starts nursery!

arcticwaffle Tue 11-Jun-13 19:25:13

Yes, 13 and 11yo cycle to school, that's 30-40 mins a day. Then they do PE at school twice a week. Then judo for 1 or 2 hrs a week, 13yo does sailing club (2.5 hrs a week), plus skating, skateboarding, cycling. 11yo is most sedentary but runs around at youth club, and does kayaking, swimming, various bits and pieces.

9yo has 20 mins walk to school and back (altogether) but runs around a lot at break and lunchtime and after school, plus skating and various skipping and climbing and cycling activities.

We're quite enthusiastic about daily commute exercise possibillites, it seems to me that if you can fit a decent walk or cycle ride into your daily commute to work or school it ramps up suitably over the week and then it's fairly easy to be active.

My other way of encouraging is by example or doing it with them, so 13yo will come on a run with me (she is a LOT better than me), and they'll all come cycling or do watersports very happily, and they'll go on long walks with a bit of persuasion/bribery, but dp and I are both quite active and I tend to focus on our activity and fitness levels and hope the dc follow by example.

Also if I think they're indoors on screens too much I just ban the screens for a week. Not sure how much longer we can do that as they hit teenage but so far it works.

WildThongsHeartString Tue 11-Jun-13 19:28:27

My DS 14, has PE 4 times a week and he walks home from school most days which is a good 30 min and up hill all the way. When he can, he uses the council run gym for an hour. He is also in a badminton club which is 2 hours per week.
I would like him to do something else in the evenings though, but most of the clubs round here are private so too expensive.

Whojamaflip Tue 11-Jun-13 19:35:18

ds1 has pe 3 times a week, gym 2 hrs a week, tai kwondo 2 hrs a week and unless it us chucking it down they have to go out a lunch and breach at school. at the weekends he is never in and spends hours on his bike.

dd1 does pe 2 times a week as well as 15 hours of gym training over 4 days. any spare minute us spent on the trampoline.

boatclub Tue 11-Jun-13 19:37:43

my DSs aged 3 and 5 do most days. It is a 5 minute walk, cycle or scoot to school but on the way home we tend to have 15 mins charging round the park. DS1 has active after school activities 3 times a week. DS2 plays out at nursery for at least 20 mins. They both go swimming once a week. Most weekends we go for a walk,parks or a beach.

choccyp1g Tue 11-Jun-13 19:42:37

My DS (12) doesn't; in a week he does 3 hour long sports clubs, plus 3 half hour PE lessons a week. Playground at school is too small too run about, lives too far from school to walk...

In Junior school he got loads of exercise, but it seems much harder now in secondary.

Lilyloo Tue 11-Jun-13 19:55:53

I would say yes, they do quite a lot of organised avtivity
Ds 11 does football 3x a week and cricket x2 and swimming x1. He then plays out almost every day.
Dd 8 does dancing 4x a week and brownies and then plays out every day also.
Dd 5 also does rainbows, swimming and dancing once a week. She also plays out.
We are lucky in that area he cul details sac we live on has lots of kids on it and is safe to play out onto they can be out.
We also have a dog so that means we go out whatever the weather.
I would say my dc's do over 60 min a day.

Jinsei Tue 11-Jun-13 20:07:19

I'm a bit concerned about how to keep dd active when she gets a bit older. I think it's relatively easy with young children as they're naturally quite active, but when they're older, they stop running around as much - especially girls. I think dd will probably continue with her dancing, but will have to think of something else to supplement that...

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 11-Jun-13 20:10:57

Definitely. 3 year old DD has organised activities and nursery plus general running around. She's out on her bike or scooter after nursery. At weekends she does tennis, swimming and soft play.

ouryve Tue 11-Jun-13 20:15:06

We always walk to school and back and DS1, in particular is incapable of just sitting down for more than a few minutes. He's currently playing with lego and is using All The Chairs. The only days in the school holidays when they don't get their walkies are when it's very icy, very wet or very hot.

QOD Tue 11-Jun-13 20:22:45

My dd age 14 does bugger all except PE at school. We live about 10 miles for school so she gets driven in. She walks round the school grounds from lesson to lesson, she walks to the bus stop after. That's about it sad

She is a skinny mini though and was incredibly active up to secondary school. 4 dance lessons a week, brownies/guides etc

BornToFolk Tue 11-Jun-13 20:42:26

DS gets at least 60 mins a day. We walk to and from school but that's only 5 mins each way. He's in Reception so spends a lot of the day running about (if his shoes are anything to go from, almost worn through!). He has a 30 min swimming lesson once a week and plays football on a Sat morning for an hour and a half. We quite often go to the playground after school when DS will run about for half an hour or so. He's football-mad so likes to have a kickabout in the garden at any opportunity.

My top tip is be too poor to run a car, it's marvellous for keeping you and your DC active! Seriusly though, it is one way of making regular exercise part of everyday life. The scheduled activities are great but I think it's more important that DS has the stamina to be able to walk a fair distance.

PenelopeCruiserliner Tue 11-Jun-13 20:53:32

Teenage dd does PE x2 pw but it doesn't always seem to be that strenuous - probably a total of an hour pw. She tells me she walks miles around school, up and down stairs so I suppose that has some value.

Rarely, she will go for a walk or use the exercise bike. Recently a doctor has told her to up her exercise to help with tension and insomnia issues. Needs a bit more encouragement in that direction.

Rosehassometoes Tue 11-Jun-13 22:45:31

I think when they're little it's easy, lots of time in the garden and a good selection of toys.
We plan to get bikes for all of us when they're older. Might also do running/biking/scootering together.

stephgr Tue 11-Jun-13 23:50:39

my 6 year old daughter is so energetic I would think she gets about 3 hours of exercise a day. We walk everywhere including to/from school, she runs around playgrounds, skips, cycles, zooms along on a scooter, swims, dance classes twice a week. I'm exhausted!

hermancakedestroyer Wed 12-Jun-13 07:50:34

I aim for 60 minutes a day but sometimes its slightly less and sometimes more.
I have to drive to school as the school is too far and the roads too dangerous to walk to but I park a long way from the school and we all walk in.
They are active during the school day playing football every break and lunchtime.
We then go to the local park in the evening for a kick about and its a 20 minute walk to the park.
If the weather is dreadful we put wii dance on and do a few sessions of that (some more successfully than others!!)
I often have a letter to post so we walk down to the post office which takes about 20 minutes round trip.
Its all about building exercise into the day so that the children don't really notice!

throckenholt Wed 12-Jun-13 08:14:41

Mine do - probably much more - they are 10 and 11. We HE (so don't get PE at school), rarely do organised sport, but they spend huge amounts of time on the trampoline, beg to go for cycle rides most days (we are trying to encourage them to go on their own more often now they are older), ride bikes round the garden, run races with each other in the garden (we are lucky we have a huge garden), generally race around outside. Often go for family walks too. Holidays usually involve lots of walking and they love getting to the top of hills (not my favourite activity !).

From observation of friends and family most other kids we know do more organised activity - gymnastics, swimming, football etc but generally not much un organised out and about stuff.

gazzalw Wed 12-Jun-13 10:15:59

Ours do, as the school run is a round walking trip of 60 minutes in its own right..... Of course in the Summer they get a lot more exercise because they tend to go to the park and play in the garden more!

DD definitely gets 60+ minutes per day:

Half mile walk to the childminder's every weekday morning.
30 minutes running about the playground at preschool three times per week, as well as the activities inside preschool.
Every Monday is a full day at preschool, she is non stop running about, playing hop scotch, skipping etc.
An outing to a country park/forest/soft play centre every week with her childminder involves lots of walking and running.
Dancing (tap and ballet) once a week.
Using her scooter in the park on most weekends.
Occasionally horse riding with Nanny.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now