Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

NOW CLOSED: Toes out? Sandals on? How do you prepare? Share tips and experiences with Clarks and you could win one of ten pairs of their gorgeous summer sandals!

(213 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 14-May-13 14:52:13

Hello

We've been asked by the team at Clarks to get you talking about the (sometimes) dreaded first time you get your sandals on for spring/ summer....if it's not here yet - it is coming!

Share your thoughts on this thread and you'll be entered into a prize draw where ten lucky winners will get a free pair of shoes.

So, have you got your feet out for summer yet? Is it a 2 stage process for you (tops of feet and then toes) or do you go for the full sandal straight away? Or do you NEVER bare all? grin

What's your favourite type of sandal? Flat and relaxed, a height-boosting wedge or maybe a strappy number?

What date or occasion did you you/ will you do it? Does it need to be a special occasion?

Do you have a pamper ritual before getting your feet out? What it is? Full scrub, pedicure or a quick slick of a nude varnish? Share your tips (please!)

If your feet never see the UK sun, why not?

And if they're out all year round and look ok how do you manage it?

~~~~~

Clarks have a bigger promotion running at the moment and there are chances to win some lovely prizes by checking out their comps on instagram and Facebook. On Instagram they want you to tweet a picture of your sandals with the hashtag #FreeYourFeet and you could win £500 worth of Mr & Mrs Smith vouchers and £150 worth of Clarks shoes, whilst on FB you could win one of five pairs of shoes simply by answering their sandal survey. Check out the links for full details and T&Cs.

In the meantime please do share your experiences on this thread.

Thanks and good luck.

MNHQ

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Jun-13 12:01:10

Sorry for the delay but am pleased to say the following MNers all win a pair of summer sandals from the Clarks collection!

Turnipvontrapp, TiredFeet, DifferentNow, feelthis, Dolallytats, TravelinColour, skyeskyeskye, Pumpkinette, JoyceDivision and QueenofWhispers

ChablisLover Tue 11-Jun-13 12:00:41

And so my summer is over!

The rain has descended again

oh Clarks bring back the sunshine please!

littlemonkeychops Mon 10-Jun-13 20:15:57

As soon as it's warm i switch to sandals, i do a lot of walking so they must be comfy, but still with a bit of style. I have a low maintenence routine, moisturiser, a lick of polish and trimming my nails.

Clarks have a sale on at the moment which i got emailed about today, so was looking at their sandals, weird coincidence!

MTBMummy Mon 10-Jun-13 15:37:42

As soon as it starts getting warm enough I get my sandals out

I tend to wear heels for the office and wedges, flip flops or flat sandals for weekend and home, but it really depends on what we're doing.

I never used to bother with pedicures or foot scrubs, but I've noticed my feet are looking quite rubbish this year so have painted my toe nails and have invested in a good heel scrub.

cather Mon 10-Jun-13 12:10:09

Once it gets warmer I get my sandals out. I have a few different pairs for work, navy, black, brown and pink. I like a sandal with a heel as they look dressier, I really don't like the completely flat sandals as I find them uncomfortable to wear.
I don't do anything different to my feet other than paint my toenails in summer.

TrickyWoo Tue 04-Jun-13 08:37:25

So, have you got your feet out for summer yet? Is it a 2 stage process for you (tops of feet and then toes) or do you go for the full sandal straight away? Or do you NEVER bare all?
Full sandal straight off... Birkenstocks first then more strappy delicate ones

What's your favourite type of sandal? Flat and relaxed, a height-boosting wedge or maybe a strappy number?
Flat, leather straps, leather lined, leather sole; soft soft soft, and goes with anything!

I do like a wedge though, but I don't like a suede bed to the sandal as I think they get grubby from my toes...

What date or occasion did you you/ will you do it? Does it need to be a special occasion?
It's the weather not the occasion; every day at work if possible, as long ad toenails are BRIGHT

Do you have a pamper ritual before getting your feet out? What it is? Full scrub, pedicure or a quick slick of a nude varnish? Share your tips (please!).
 Ideally it's: scrub, file hard skin, cream (flexitol -amazing stuff), cuticles, bright polish and done. 

If ever have cracked heels that's a bit of a bugger and puts me off baring 

flexitol and socks at night, plus bright varnish 

Pumpkinette Mon 03-Jun-13 23:34:14

I am a cold person so it takes a really hot day for me to get my feet out. I almost had them out a couple of weekends ago but I knew I would be out until the evening time when it gets a bit chillier so I changed my mind.

I generally look after my feet all year round and don't suffer from any foot problems so I dont do any extra preperation for summer sandals.

I use a sugar scrub on them once a week and moisturise them with body butter or coconut oil 3-4 times a week. I keep my toenails trimmed and tidy. I do sometimes paint my toenails but a lot of the time I leave them natural. I don't wear high heels as I find them impossible (can just about handle a small heel if the shoe style is right) and I don't wear flats as they give me foot cramps. (Slightly high arch) I think this may contribute to my nice feet and I don't force them into uncomfortable shoes. If I am wearing strappy shoes I make sure I use my boots or avon anti blister stick before putting them on as it stops rubbing and blisters.

I own a couple of pairs of sandals. My Birkenstocks are my favourite. They are not the classic style, they have cross over at the toe and an extra strap : these ones http://www.comfortableshoes.com/birkenstock-mayari-women-s-sandals.html
I have week ankles so need a shoe that won't flap about or I will fall over. I have owned these shoes for 6 years now and they are still going strong.

My other sandals are wedges / platform wedges. I have 3 6 pairs in different colours . Again I like them to have a ankle support so I opt for shoes with an ankle strap. I have found that for some reason the style of shoes I like always have a corkscrew effect platform / wedge and I really dislike that look.

My ideal summer sandals would be lower height wedge platforms, have ankle support and a built in arch support rather than a flat sole. Colours red or black or maybe a mustard yellow or a green. Oh and available in 1/2 sizes too.

nowaistatall Mon 03-Jun-13 17:49:43

Have to wear open all round sandals to allow the bunion to live happily in the sun!grin

Nehru Mon 03-Jun-13 14:45:52

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CHOOSE A WINNER

ChablisLover Mon 03-Jun-13 11:53:54

so sandal weather - it comes so rarely now

If it is i tend to get the footfile out and scrub away dead skin, then moisturising cream with socks overnight and tend to repeat this process until the feet are ready

By that time the sun is away and its raining again

If it lasts, then a quick coat of polish - as chosen by my 6 year old DS - its currently orange one from NYC Cosmetics as orange is his favourite colour.

If I'm picking its generally my go to pinky neutral chanel favourite.

am wearing lovely peeptoe m&S today as I am awaiting my Clarks sandals (sarina Bowes) to arrive (purchased on friday in light of impending good weather)

but am looking longingly at last years navy Dolly's - so comfy and my Kestral Soars for casual weekend wear - again excellent shoes.

would love the serin wedges but cant justify £79 on them - should have got them in the sale - maybe this summer

Clarks shoes have got so much better in recent years - just need to sort our the sizing - can vary from a 5 to a 6 1/2 depending on the style - there needs to be consistency. Am hoping my order is the right size.

gazzalw Sun 02-Jun-13 16:52:01

I hardly ever wear sandals for fear of being mistaken for a lentil-eating, bearded Leftie (I sort of am anyway but still....). I should air my feet in the Summer though, even if only at home, because I've always had really bad Athlete's Foot which I'm assuming is entirely caused by having my feet encased in socks and enclosed shoes all year round.

halcyondays Sat 01-Jun-13 16:27:51

So, have you got your feet out for summer yet? Is it a 2 stage process for you (tops of feet and then toes) or do you go for the full sandal straight away? Or do you NEVER bare all?

i've worn sandals a few times when the weather has been good enough, but its been very changeable. Usually full sandal straight away.

What's your favourite type of sandal? Flat and relaxed, a height-boosting wedge or maybe a strappy number? Flats of any kind.

no particular date or occasion, just when it's warm enough for me.

Do you have a pamper ritual before getting your feet out? What it is? Full scrub, pedicure or a quick slick of a nude varnish? Share your tips (please!)
It depends on what state my feet are in. Its been a long time since I had a pedicure and I"m not great at doing it myself. If I have dry cracked heels then I'll use foot scrubs and creams, and put some nail varnish on. Pluck any hair from my big toe.

I only wear them if its sunny, I'd be far too cold to wear them all year round.

eteo Fri 31-May-13 16:30:22

i had been wearing sandals since last week. cant wait to get it out!!! love my flat huge feets. They look like flippers. lol. I love to wear flat sandals with lot of colourful flowers but i cant find them.

Eliza22 Thu 30-May-13 14:27:46

I bought the Soap & Glory foot buffer file thingy, after seeing so many recommendations here on MN. It's absolutely THE BEST for your feet and I've tried 'em all. Mine are now sooooo smooth smile

Had sandals on yesterday morning. Had shoes and tights on my 2pm, when it started chucking it down! Great. June tomorrow?

Fakebook Thu 30-May-13 13:59:52

I keep my feet scrubbed all year with a pumice stone once or twice a week in the shower. It removes dead skin and keeps my feet soft. A quick moisturise with Nivea lotion is enough to keep away dry skin. I usually file and buff nails in the summer and only use nail polish on special occasions.

About 99% of my shoes are Clarks. I can't wear any other shoes. I bought some Clarks wedges last March for the summer (had an inkling it may not be hot this year) that are not too high and comfortable.. Normally I buy flattish or strappy flat sandals. I absolutely love Clarks Active Air sandals and shoes and so does my husband.

I only get my toes out if its very warm. My feet are cold all year round, so it needs to be pretty hot for me to bare them.

manfalou Thu 30-May-13 10:08:14

I live in sandals from April-October. A nice pedicure to start the sandal season and some beautifully painted nails throughout is the way to go. I generally only really wear flat sandals but do have a couple of pairs of wedges for those special occasions or when I want to feel particularly girly.

thornrose Thu 30-May-13 02:01:19

So, have you got your feet out for summer yet?
Once or twice I've worn flip flops,

Is it a 2 stage process for you (tops of feet and then toes) or do you go for the full sandal straight away? Or do you NEVER bare all?

Straight from boots to flip flop.

Flat and relaxed combined with a strappy number if that's not too much to ask.

No special occasion, just wam and sunny.

Do you have a pamper ritual before getting your feet out?
Oh yes, scaly, hard feet with long unpainted toenails make me feel sick!

What it is? Full scrub, pedicure or a quick slick of a nude varnish? Share your tips (please!)
I use a Ped egg followed by a good exfoliater. I smother my feet in max strength moisturiser or very good hand cream then wrap in cling film and wear socks overnight. Next day rinse, moisturise and paint toe nails.

Not all year round in the UK but ready to bare when going swimming with regular use of PedEgg, exfoliater and good toe nail polish.

zipzap Thu 30-May-13 01:20:44

COMFORTABLE!!!!! Is the absolute top priority - if it's not comfortable then there's no point in wearing it otherwise you're going to be hobbling around, wincing in pain and it's just not worth it. I've had comfy high strappy sandals and uncomfy flat ones - so it's not just a height thing. But for every day in the summer (assuming we actually get one with sun in!) I go for a nice squidgy sole that's relatively flat. And since having dc I've ended up with ones that I can adjust across the toes just because my feet swell now (didn't before!) so they have been more sporty than I'd have liked. I like the Clarks ones with the comfy soles and pretty metallic shades with maybe a bit of beading or something pretty up the middle. Not too strappy, solid enough to know you're not going to run out of your sandals or break them the next time you have to charge after your headstrong 5 year old who can out run you and is heading towards the road... But there again, not boring and sporty.
Have just had a look on the Clarks site at their sandals and I mean a cross between the front of the Renver Shine and the back of a Renver Band. PReferably with an Originals sole. I like to have a nice coloured pair of sandals - black, nude or navy or white can get very boring. The mixes of pink, purple and orange are nice at the moment but it's also good to have a soft pale denim blue or a gentle mid green colour (ie not out and out girly colours) which also go with lots of things. Metallics can be good too so long as they are not too shiny or bright.

Won't be a special occasion - will be once it gets warm (and dry) enough to not need to wear socks. I often go through an intermediate phase of a comfortable (see a theme emerging?!) shoe that can be worn without socks before getting to sandals - a few years ago I had a fab Clarks pair called something like Hyacinth or Hydrangea that were fantastically soft leather on top, in a range of pretty colours and squishy soles. They were on sale for at least two years - but rapidly sold out as they were so popular so I didn't have as many pairs as I would have liked. I've also had several pairs of clarks trainery things that were like mary jane trainers with an elastic strap across - great to wear but tended to get very stinky very quickly.

I try to keep jolly coloured nail varnish on my toenails all year round - slosh it on before I get in the shower, it's dry by the time you get out and any bits that get on your skin whilst sloshing it on come off easily when you dry your feet. Winter shades tend to be a bit darker, maybe aubergine or silver or dark red. Summer - coral, bright red, turquoise, ice green...
I also try to use a pumice stone once summer approaches to help keep my feet nice and to use cream on any dry bits, a little work with intensive cream really helps. I used to have a great Scholl pumice stone that was a manmade one, wasn't too harsh, rubbed dry skin off easily without hurting but they don't seem to make them any more which is a real shame, so I just use whatever is on offer in Boots or TKMaxx.

(and can I just say that I have a pair of Clarks Originals slip on shoes that are at least 4 or 5 years old and are currently the most comfortable pair of shoes I have, but they are beginning to wear out, the soles now have holes in sad. Every season I hope against hope that you will do something similar, I'm still getting compliments on them even though they are battered beyond belief and get very little in the way of love or care. But nothing - they are all either lace up or ballet pump styles. Please please can you bring back the slip on that you can wear with socks and trousers - they are so great. It's a real pain when you have young kids to be faffing around tying laces - I just want to be able to slip on shoes (or even slip on boots) and go. Not mess around with laces!)

racingheart Wed 29-May-13 19:53:28

So, have you got your feet out for summer yet?
Only once or twice. Weather's been too changeable.

Is it a 2 stage process for you (tops of feet and then toes) or do you go for the full sandal straight away? Or do you NEVER bare all?

Full sandal straight away - I go from boots to sandals depending on the weather.

I love a medium height wedge strappy sandal or a flipflop style with very padded sole. Can walk in both of these all day and still feel cool and comfortable. I avoid any sandal with thin, hard soles.

No - just a lovely sunny day. As soon as the summer dresses come out, the sandals do too.

Do you have a pamper ritual before getting your feet out?
Yes. I think it's unkind to others to flaunt hard, cracked skin.

What it is? Full scrub, pedicure or a quick slick of a nude varnish? Share your tips (please!)
I do a proper home pedicure with pumice, hard skin remover and gritty scrub then apply lots of foot cream, trim , clean and file nails and add a pale natural polish or a bright one, depending on where I'm going. Then moisturise every day and pumice feet twice a week to make sure they stay soft.

BonzoDooDah Wed 29-May-13 17:49:15

Sandals on as soon as it is warm enough and off when I start getting frostbite. Either sandals or barefoot as much of the year as I can be.
Prefer cushioned soles so can walk far with no pain.
No particular "foot" routine as feet are feet and mine look okay.

JS06 Wed 29-May-13 16:49:27

Bought myself a micro-pedi - it's wonderful and very easy to use. Great result, no more snagging the bed sheets (what an admission!). Have been doing lots of extra moisturising after evening shower/bath and am noticing smoothing/plumping of skin. Occasionally I use a heavier type oil like almond oil on top of foot which is deeply moisturising, leaving a lovely glow.

I love my fit-flops or bejewelled sandals and paint nails in bright tango orange or deep fluorescent pink. It needs to come off or be retouched as soon as there's a chip though or you're drawn to looking at the blemish.

I like to get my feet out as soon as the weather is warm and usually am always barefoot at home. Roll on Summer, we're missing you.

I visit a podiatrist every 3 - 4 months for an overhaul and the only downside is she's very thorough with nail cutting. What she cuts off though I paint over, even it's my toes! From a distance, it's all good!!!

snowymum12 Wed 29-May-13 14:20:48

I love toepost sandals and have them on as early in the year as possible. I make sure my feet are looking their best by painting my toenails (usually a pretty pink or pearl) and getting a decent heel balm to ensure my heels are ready to face the elements.

mummy1973 Tue 28-May-13 21:37:40

Bit of polish and then just wear my sandals with confidence! Not socks!

Lent1l Tue 28-May-13 15:19:48

I try to keep my feet nice all year round. I use a footcream every night and keep an eye on hard skin etc. When it gets too bad I treat myself to a visit to my choropodist for a natter and a tidy up. Nail polish is generally only for special occasions.

I find it hard to find sandals I really like and are comfortable for walking in. Many seem either to be form or function and not often both.

Bertrude Tue 28-May-13 05:46:37

My feet are out all year in one way or another, either in sandals at weekend or open toe, slingback shoes for work. My feet overheat and really stink get very sweaty in closed shoes.

I have a pay-day pedicure every month to manage the worst of the dry heels. They used to be very cracked, but I do now slather them in moisturiser (just a cheapy normal supermarket one, not even one for feet) and put trainer socks on overnight in the middle of the month to get them softer.

Polish colour is always dark, either dark purple (done last night actually!), a dark blue the same colour as the Red Bull Racing F1 cars may or may not be a link between this and my Mark Webber obsession or a nice deep red. Never anything that the majority of people would class as summer colours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now