Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

NOW CLOSED Tell Clarks about your child's first steps and be in with a chance of winning a £100 voucher

(251 Posts)
AlexMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Mar-13 15:32:42

Clarks have just released their latest First Shoes range here and to coincide they would love to hear about your DCs first steps.

So what do you remember about your child(ren)s first attempts to negotiate the world on two feet?

~ How old were they?

~ Do you remember where you were at the time?

~ Did they take time to adjust, or were they keen to get a move on?

~ How did it feel? Were you overjoyed or just slightly terrified at how quickly they were growing up and what they could now get up to!?

Everyone who shares their thoughts on this thread will be entered into a prize draw, where one MNer will win a £100 Clarks voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

Leafmould Sat 04-May-13 20:05:39

Thank you so much for the vouchers, clarks and mumsnet. They arrived through the door of the house with the scruffiest shoes, so the opportunity to go shoe shopping was very welcome. I did some Internet research and found out where the nearest clarks outlet was,as I wanted to get maximum shoes for the money...I needed to get school shoes for my eldest dd, out of school shoes for my younger dd and work shoes for myself. I wanted to have some voucher left over for September as well, for back to school.

I have never been to the shopping centre where the outlet is before, so it took me a while to work out how to get there, and in the end I decided to walk there with the kids on there scooters. It was about 4 miles, and they were a bit tired by the end of it. However I was impressed with the shopping experience in the centre, and even better, the staff at clarks were so helpful, we got everything on the list.

I think as a marketing exercise this has been quite successful, as I now know how to get to the shopping centre ( we came home on public transport, so we don't have to walk next time!), and my opinion of clarks has changed..... We'll see how the shoes wear, of course, but I was pleased with the value, and the service was brilliant.
Thanks once again for smart ending us up a little bit!

chrismse Mon 01-Apr-13 14:02:11

DS took her first steps at 11mth it was Halloween and she was desperate to get to the goodies on the table. She took 4 steps and was delighted with herself and kept taking three and four steps all evening. Over the next week she increased the number of steps as she gained in confidence. She would only walk in very soft shoes for the first month or two. If we put heavier shoes on her she just sat down.

AlexMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 28-Mar-13 10:54:00

The prize draw has been performed and the lucky winner has been selected...It's leafmould who wins the £100 Clarks voucher! Well Done! I'll PM you with details

My youngest daughter took three very determined steps towards me on my return to collect her from my mother in laws after a very rare hair appointment last Friday. Three weeks short of her 1st birthday.

It was lovely to share that moment with her Grandma and Grandad who were equally as delighted as I was and cheered her on as she beamed proudly realizing what she was doing!

As a stay at home mum a lot of '1st's' are usually shared via phone relays and photos to my husband and close relatives and friends so to share such a big milestone was a magical moment.

I have a great relationship with my mother in law, so much so she attended my third childs home birth! And now she has witnessed her youngest grandaughters first steps!

mummy81 Wed 27-Mar-13 14:03:02

My DD started taking a few steps at a times when she was 13 months and started walking confidently at 15 months. We were anxious about her walking at first but once she started we missed the little baby crawling around lifting her hands to be picked up.

MTBMummy Wed 27-Mar-13 11:58:34

DD was a day over 11 months when she started walking on her own, she'd been cruising for a few weeks. My mum and sister were so disappointed they had missed it as they had been with us all weekend, and we'd been trying to get DD to take her first independent steps, but no luck.

I returned late from work on the Monday and while DP was cooking dinner DD took her first steps with just me, in our living room. I was over the moon, as I work full time and DP is a SAH parent so I miss out on so much, so I was over joyed to have that moment just to myself. DP obviously rushed in and we were so pleased with her that our dinner burnt, although we were happy to have an excuse to order takeaway to celebrate :-)

DD never really crawled - more a bum shuffler, so when she started walking there was no stopping her, she often would end up tripping up and falling over as she would try and move faster than her feet would let her, and she hasn't stopped

mummyofcutetwo Wed 27-Mar-13 11:01:34

My elder son was 13 months when he started to walk. My husband and I were at a parents coffee morning at his nursery, finding out about his development while he played at the bead run table. He suddenly just let go of the table and walked towards me with a big smile on his face. Just five steps at first, then he picked himself up and did five more, and then just kept going! We were so excited, and it was lovely to share the moment with his nursery keyworker too.

We were excited and then the penny dropped - we'd be walking everywhere bent double from now on, as he would no longer entertain being carried anywhere! Not that we minded, we were so pleased for him!

We weren't worried about what he'd get up to that he couldn't before as he was such a quick crawler and climber that he could get around pretty easily anyway!

manfalou Tue 26-Mar-13 21:47:52

DS was 13 months when he took his first unaided steps. He'd been able to stand unaided for a couple of weeks but never took a chance on walking. This particular day (30th November 2011!) he was very excited when daddy got home from work and ran to him as he entered the living room...taking not just 1 step but 5! It was great that we both got to see his first steps together and amazing that our little boy was now well and truly on the move after only starting to crawl 2 months before!

dahville Tue 26-Mar-13 20:03:21

We were in the lounge sitting on the floor letting our LO 'surf' between us, when we decide to stand him up and let go. His first few steps were from Mummy to Daddy at 13 months.

nicolarae4 Tue 26-Mar-13 18:21:04

My gorgoeus boy was just 9 months when he decided that being stuck on the floor was boring, after all you can't kick a football when you're sitting down can you???

I remember turning round to see the little monkey cruising around the sofa before he let go and wobbled across off across the room. I felt an overwhelming sense of pride before the realisation that my baby was growing up way too fast

BergholtStuttleyJohnson Tue 26-Mar-13 15:03:53

My DS1 took his first steps at 17.5 months! It was in the living room and he just walked about 5 steps. He didn't walk again until 2 weeks later when he was 18 months, two weeks after that he was running! There was no stopping him.
I loved seeing him walk for the first time, he looked so pleased with himself.
My DS2 is now 12 months and has been cruising around the furniture for 3 months so I expect he'll be taking his first steps soon.

MrsHoarder Tue 26-Mar-13 10:58:17

Not quite walking yet here, but the cruising stage is exciting too (and I love the little shoes, very odd to think we'll be buying some in the next few months).

70percent Tue 26-Mar-13 10:26:52

DS was just over 14 months. We were staying in a tiny cottage in Scotland, visiting his great-grandparents, well into their 90s. We'd had a lovely day with him charming his great-grandparents and then that evening, shortly before bed, he walked 5 steps all on his own, and charmed his parents. It was the last time he saw his great-granny as she died the following year.
For the walking, DS stopped for a while as he got ill but once he was about 16 months we haven't been able to stop him. He walks all the way to the tube station, and many older and bigger children still wouldn't do that.

NinaNannar Tue 26-Mar-13 08:52:57

I can't remember much about any of them waking. They just did.

Hth

windycitymom Tue 26-Mar-13 08:51:15

My son started walking at 9 months, but for the first two whole months he walked, he would only walk while kicking/dribbling a football ("soccer" ball to us) in front of him, as we walked behind him and held both of his hands for support.

sealight123 Tue 26-Mar-13 07:57:28

My little one Olivia was a fast learner and was trying to move the minute she was born :P She was 11 months when she took her first steps and it was at my mums surprise birthday party. We had been for a meal and came back to the house, Olivia really wanted a bottle of water my little sister was holding so she walked over and took it. I was astonished and luckily had been recording it all on my phone. I was rather overwhelmed, so much so I cried. After those first steps it took her just over a week to perfect her skills, except for speed, she runs and launches herself everywhere.

bebejones Tue 26-Mar-13 07:36:35

DD was about 11months old when she took her first proper, but wobbly, steps. She had been cruising round the furniture and pushing the walker since she was 10months old and one day she just let go and carried on! It was only 3 or 4 steps at first but I was completely amazed, she looked far too small to be walking! It took quite a while to capture the walking on video, but eventually I got it by tempting her with a carefully placed (on the arm of my chair) remote control! It's still one of my favourite clips of her as a baby, the wobbly sea legs as she staggers across the room, the sneaky grab of the remote and the plop down onto the floor with her 'prize'! smile

sammylammy40 Tue 26-Mar-13 06:40:41

DS started to walk at 9 months, we were having a mum and baby group at my house so I had 6 other mums and babies who watched with me while he walked a wobbly walk across the room. He has never stopped amazing me since!

MummyAbroad Tue 26-Mar-13 01:27:59

DS1 took his first steps around 1 year 2 months and DS2 a few days before his first birthday. I was a working mum with DS1 and stay at home mum with DS2 so I only got to see the first real genuine steps with DS2, My first sons first steps happened while i was at work, and his nanny did a really good job of pretending to be surprised when he did it again in front of me, as if that were the first time. I wish I had seen the real first steps myself, there is something magical about it.

DD was 15 months, it was New Years Eve and we had decided not to get a babysitter and party the night away, but instead get an early night in, get up and have a nice New Year's Day out together as a family. Just before putting DD to bed we all sat in the hallway and were playing with something and suddenly without holding on to anything DD went from DH to me and back again. We were chuffed to bits grin with our decision to stay in and see these first steps.

DD repeated this the next day on our day out... then the novelty wore off, and DD decided to keep cruising the furniture hmm and didn't really walk again for another 3 months!

I can't remember the next time she took steps as a specific time, but we did move things a little bit higher in the house out of reach. But the joy of her growing and having new skills far outweighed the new risks. smile

MaybeOrnot Mon 25-Mar-13 23:16:36

DS let go of the coffee-table to kick a ball across the room,at 13 months old. He went on to play for Chelsea. Youth team,I should add smile

Katz Mon 25-Mar-13 23:11:50

Dd1 was 9.5 months, she'd been cruising for a while bd then just went for it,
Dd2 was 8.5 months, again she'd been cruising for a while, she was stood near DH and by some fluke I had the camera out and she just let go and we have her actual first steps on film, we were a home. Once both DDs started they didn't stop and then wanted to walk everywhere.

Both DDs were small 25%ile and so looked too tiny to be walking around unaided, and we received many comments of should she be doing that!

It was a lovely moment and we were very pleased

mousebacon Mon 25-Mar-13 23:01:21

DS1 took his first steps at 11 and a half months. He'd been happily using the walker for a few weeks then one day, all of a sudden he just shot across the room unaided and he's been the same ever since!

A few weeks later when we went to buy his first shoes, the woman in clarks looked dubiously at him and said 'he has to be able to walk at least 20 steps...' so I let go of him - it took both of us to catch him smile

DS2 is already cruising around the furniture at 9 months so we're ready to start all over again soon.

sarabella Mon 25-Mar-13 22:48:18

My 14 month old dd2 has just started taking her tentative 1st steps with the aid of her walker :-) Shes not quite confident enough to go it alone just yet and whilst I'm thrilled that she's progressing , I'm not looking forward to the days bent over walking with her lol :-) x

Es100 Mon 25-Mar-13 22:47:54

DS1 took his first steps on Christmas Day with a large, family audience, aged 13 months. DS2 took his first steps aged 15 months when we had all the family over for a Sunday lunch. DD1 took her first steps at 19 1/2 months (having spent 9 months scooting sideways on her bottom) when noone except me was around, so as to change the TV channel. "Loose Women" was on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now