Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

NOW CLOSED: Talk to Central YMCA about the best buggies for exercising with....you could win a £100 John Lewis voucher.

(85 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 15-Jun-12 10:24:38

We've been asked by the team at Central YMCA to find out your best buggy for exercising with.

So if you are you a regular buggy exerciser please share on this thread the buggy you would recommend for mums looking to power walk, jog or generally push themselves fit while out and about with their baby?

Please say why you'd recommend it - what makes it good and why you chose it over others.

Please also state what age your baby/ child was in the buggy, any bad points and your overall opinion of the value for money you've had from the buggy.

Please post your responses below - the responses on this thread will be used by CYMCA in an exciting new free digital product for mums from Central YMCA. If they want to use your direct quote we may well be in touch with you to find out your name and location so this can be attributed to you - eg "xxx" said Jane from Bolton.

Everyone who adds their recommendation to this thread will be entered into a prize draw where one winner would get a £100 John Lewis voucher.

Thanks, MNHQ

LittlePicnic Fri 15-Jun-12 19:39:18

My Phil and Teds is great. When pushing across various terrains, the suspension on the wheels is like riding a bicycle. It gives a smooth push and comfortable ride over bumpy ground. Used it since dc2 came along for a newborn and a toddler. It's quite heavy but very comfortable to walk/ jog with. I would recommend it, nice sturdy feel to it.

MerylStrop Fri 15-Jun-12 19:51:27

My Bugaboo Frog was good but for proper exercise I would recommend a Phil and Teds double, with a hefty four year old up front, a two year old in back and another 3 year old balanced precariously on the footrest. Push all through knee-deep mud at hilly festival site. Excellent strength and cardio, and the buggy looks like new.

FoofFighter Fri 15-Jun-12 20:03:49

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ)
Fooffighter - what do you mean? A strap that links from buggy to wrist? In case you fall over? (sorry for Qs - I am someone who has never exercised with a pushchair!) Am sure CYMCA will be interested in this tip

Yes exactly that, to stop it running away on it's own if you trip/fall smile

HappySunflower Fri 15-Jun-12 20:12:55

My Baby Jogger is fab..I have the Mini City Sidewalk which is lighter than the normal mini city. It's great for walking on all sorts of surface; glides across grass, sand, gravel very easily.
It folds down with just one hand, ditto popping it back up again.
I've jogged along the beach with it, and around the park, too and it is very sturdy and hardwearing as I'm not at all gentle with it!
Baby is very comfy in it whether she's sitting up and looking around, or lying flat and asleep, plus it has a brilliant sun shade and good vision panels for her so she can see what's going on whilst being sheltered at the same time.
It is definitely one of the best things I have acquired, aside from my baby of course wink

Firawla Fri 15-Jun-12 20:19:46

Phil & Teds, I don't go running with it but do walk a lot and it is very good as others have mentioned due to the tyres that are fine on all terrains and dont feel every little lump and bump in the ground. I have heard of a double babyjogger buggy too which may be quite good but I would say p&t seems better than a lot of other doubles, some of them do not have the proper tyre wheels so would be really inconvenient for those who do walk a lot

HannahLI Fri 15-Jun-12 21:14:45

I have a Phil and teds sport v2 which is great for brisk walking and jogging, I have used it with a baby between the ages of 0 -2 years in it and with a small baby and a two year old too. When jogging with it you can lock the wheel which makes it easier as it stays where you need it. The adjustable handle bar means you can get comfy and I find there is plenty of room for running with it without kicking the back.
I brought the buggy over two years ago and I have walked and jogged hundreds of miles with it in that time and it still looks in great condition. At the time I thought it was quite pricy but now there are plenty of pushchairs that cost a lot more so I think it was good value for money. I know that there are lots of these about that you can pick up second hand that are still in great condition.
In the area we live in there are lots of hawthorne bushes and because of the neumatic tyres I have had quite a few punctures but that has now been resolved with slime in my tyres. However because of the neumatic tyres it goes over almost any kind of terrain, in fact I haven't ever had a problem with it and we live in the country and regularly cross fields and bumpy land.
I have really enjoyed walking myself fit with this Pushchair and I can't think of much that I would fault with it for exercise. FYI Phil and teds on there community blog have been running a series about keeping fit using pushchairs in new Zealand and every week they have been releasing new ideas which I have found helpful like your posture when pushing. It's been done using the Phil and teds Pushchair.

lagoonhaze Fri 15-Jun-12 21:39:52

Babyjogger city mini is fab for walking but I wouldnt run with it as no safety strap agree with one of the previous posters about that,

jimswifein1964 Fri 15-Jun-12 21:45:29

Going back a few years as kids no longer in buggies, but I had...

Urban Detour - great for walking a few miles a day, but not so good for running as its heavy. Even moreso the double!!

XTS Twister - great for running in a straight flat park, but mahoosive, so hard to get there in the first place!

Alurax - loved it because it was so light.

Phil n Teds - loved it for daily use but the swivel wheel was a bit unpredicatable if walking fast/jogging when it hit a stone.

Mac3 - urgh, lasted a day. Brakes were terrible and it was too wide for standard doorways!

Citilite - a great buggy for walking , as so easy to push and deceptively sturdy.

Have had countless other buggies too grin

lorisparkle Fri 15-Jun-12 21:58:52

We have had quite a few pushchairs and although I don't specifically excercise in them we do go all over the place and I am often running with a pushchair to keep up with DS 2 and DS 1. So here goes...

Mamas and Papas with MPX chassis - this has been an amazing pushchair and has been everywhere (woods, hills, beach, pavements, snow) - It has coped with everything we have thrown at it and is still going strong for DS3. It does not hold the child in a laid back position though allowing them to sit up straight or lean back so they are not 'held in place' when on rough terrain and can be a bit bumpy. Out of all my pushchairs this is the one I always choose

Mothercare Urban Detour - bought 2nd hand for grandparents - this has been a great pushchair and it has coped well in different environments - woods, beach, pavements, etc) but I don't like the three wheelers. I find they are unstable on hills and often feel as though they are going to topple over. It does handle really well on flat and uneven terrain and is light to push and manoevure

Phil and Ted E3 - bought 2nd hand when DS2 was bought - although this was light to handle - especially for a double, easy to run around with and great for the flexibilty of different ages I hated the tyres. We had so many punctures that in the end I had to stop using it. I was only using it on the school run at that time and it was the thorns from bushes next to the path.

Mclaren (basic stroller) - great for just throwing in the car, walking on flat paths but that is it - would not be without it though!

fallingandlaughing Fri 15-Jun-12 22:06:43

I walk a lot with the buggy - up to 3 hours a day. It is the only way I can exercise while on mat leave with a poor sleeper/napper.

I have a Stokke Xplory. I didn't buy it with exercise in mind but am very happy with it. With the bag attached it is stable on a range of surfaces, very smooth when running (DD really enjoys this) and most importantly for me both seat and handle are height adjustable. This means I can maintain a comfortable posture while walking and running, not something I could take for granted with other buggies as I am tall.

DD is about to turn 1 and I have had the same buggy from when she was born.

The Xplory is relatively pricey, though I managed to get a good deal on it, however it is durable and adaptable so I am happy with the value for money.

mamof3boys Sat 16-Jun-12 10:24:41

I've got a Phil & Teds Sport which I purchased when I had a 17 month old and a newborn baby. I used it for a year with two children in it, and now also use it as a single buggy for my youngest son who is 20 months old. I chose it because it is easy to convert between a single and double and because it isn't any wider than a single buggy, which makes it perfect to use as a city/shopper as well as a jogger.

It is fantastic as an all-terrain pram and we have regularly used it on the beach and going cross country and my children have always remained comfortable even on the bumpiest of terrains. It has a wrist strap to keep it firmly attached to me which is a necessity, particularly on those downward slopes.

It is quite heavy but this just makes me feel like I've had a better workout. My only real negative is that I find as it's got a bit older the tyres have a tendency to go flat quite quickly so I do need to carry a pump around with me.

I have found the Phil & Teds Sport excellent value or money. It is now nearly 5 years old and is still going strong. I have actually just recommended this to two of my friends who are pregnant with their second child and they have both bought one after seeing mine in action.

Sossiges Sat 16-Jun-12 11:10:06

Nipper Out'n'about 360, excellent go-anywhere buggy, great value for money. Comes with wriststrap. Best to slime tyres. Great for large/tall children (under 18's obv)

Now this is a bit of a cheat as it isn't my pushchair as such but we both invested so much into the ebay search and I have subsequently made her some custom hoods so we both always joke it is 'our pushchair'!

It is my friends bugaboo frog and I have to say it is fantastic for brisk walking. It is just so light and manoeuvrable and can cope well when walking in the woods. My friend walks miles with it having sold her car (she actually clocked up 21 miles in a day the other week) and loves it. I often walk 3 or 4 miles with her once or twice a week and I love pushing it. Much better that the Mamas & pappas Pramette or maclaren I had. Her baby is 11 months old.

Now this is a bit of a cheat as it isn't my pushchair as such but we both invested so much into the ebay search and I have subsequently made her some custom hoods so we both always joke it is 'our pushchair'!

It is my friends bugaboo frog and I have to say it is fantastic for brisk walking. It is just so light and manoeuvrable and can cope well when walking in the woods. My friend walks miles with it having sold her car (she actually clocked up 21 miles in a day the other week) and loves it. I often walk 3 or 4 miles with her once or twice a week and I love pushing it. Much better that the Mamas & pappas Pramette or maclaren I had. Her baby is 11 months old.

poachedeggs Sat 16-Jun-12 11:49:06

I've got a Quinny Speedi which was bought second hand and has done miles without complaint. It has an extendable handle so is comfy to push at any pace, and a lockable front wheel. It's very comfortable for the passenger too! It didn't sit upright enough for older toddlers but that was easily fixed with a bungee to prop up the back of the seat. It also has a big basket and a hand brake for hills. We love it and have taken it over all sorts of terrain (and through very deep snow) with no problems.

Merrin Sat 16-Jun-12 13:00:19

Microlite. the wheels at the back are large and go well over uneven ground, and the turning circle is tiny. The handles are high for good posture and it is light weight. We like in the New Forest and it goes well over forest paths and is sturdy and easy to handle. Ten out of ten.

tugamommy Sat 16-Jun-12 16:13:57

I used my Bugaboo Chameleon not for running but for a lot of power walking and always found it really smooth. Also thought that the bar (as opposed to handles) was really handy when tired or going up inclined roads.

ICutMyFootOnOccamsRazor Sat 16-Jun-12 17:15:43

I have an old Maclaren MX3 that I love. It's really stable and whizzy and flies right over lumps and bumps. Both of my DCs were in it from birth (not at the same time!). It's been amazing value for money.

MustControlFistOfDeath Sat 16-Jun-12 17:33:40

AnnMumsnet Buggy Tug smile

I've done the couch to 5k with ds in an out and about nipper 360. Best £40 I ever spent wink.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 16-Jun-12 17:59:05

thanks mustcontrol..... sounds like it's essential!

rhetorician Sat 16-Jun-12 20:16:32

I have a Baby Jogger Summit that I use to run with dd2 who is now nearly 7 months old, but I have had her in it with head support from 3 months. It's incredibly easy to steer (e.g. you can push it one handed for the most part), it has big wheels which make it very stable. Lots of things sold it to me: fully reclinable seat (to flat) with good foot muff and head support; it came with a pump, cover (rain and UV), sheepskin liner (so soft I want to get into it myself), a decent basket, and nice pockets on the rear (for water, tissues etc). It has the all important strap! It folds easily (genuinely with one hand!) and if you take the wheels off (lever to release, one-click to put back on) it fits comfortably into the back of a standard hatchback.

It is all-terrain - I've taken it up hills, onto the beach, up muddy farm tracks and it's held up brilliantly.

Glaikit Sat 16-Jun-12 20:25:58

I have the baby jogger city mini and it's great for long walks on semi rough terrain. I don't run, its unladylike wink but my childminder says its good to run with when she's a bit late for the school run!

Piffpaffpoff Sat 16-Jun-12 21:38:38

Out and about nipper here, an old one with the fixed front wheel. Was excellent for off road tracks and paths. We took it on hill tracks and beaches all over Scotland. It was so light and manoeuvrable and really easy to lift over fences/stiles etc. The DCs always seemed really comfy in it, and spent most of their time asleep. I had a single first and then borrowed a double when DC2 came along and the double was even nicer to push than the single.

Agree with everyone who has spoken of the need for a wrist strap in case of a stumble.

We don't need it anymore now so it's about to be sold. I'll be so sorry to see it go, i have so many happy memories of where it's been. Sob!

CMOTDibbler Sat 16-Jun-12 21:45:07

Not a buggy, but I carried ds from birth till he was 4 (obv not continuously !), and with him in a MeiTai I burnt an awful lot of calories, and could walk over any terrain. Great for your core strength too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now