This topic is for paid for discussions. Please mail us at insight@mumsnet.com if you'd like to know more about how they work.

NOW CLOSED: Talk to us about buying children's books: you could win a £50 JL voucher

(167 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 29-Apr-12 13:29:00

As you may or may not know, we have been working with Pearson Education over the last year or so.

Pearson is an educational publisher - they have provided many worksheets here for example, and free e-books [link], as well as working with MN to provide information on curriculum review as well as lots more see here.

Some Mumsnetters have been reviewing the books - for KS1 and KS2 (and Scottish equivalents too). These books (and more) are for sale in the Pearson shop on Mumsnet (and elsewhere).

They say "you have fed back that you like support we are giving you monthly, we've had 100s of positive MN reviews of the packs of books in the shop, and there's been some fantastic feedback from Mnetters that our books have really helped their children learn to read"

HOWEVER...we're not seeing loads of visitors to the shop! sad

Please take a couple of minutes to let us know why. For example....

~ Where do you normally buy books from for your child and why do you buy from there? Do you use the library a lot or borrow from elsewhere?
~ Are you looking for resources to buy to help your child? Or does the free service give you all the support you need?
~ Is it that you've not found the shop, or if you've gone there is it too difficult to find your way around? Or any other issues with it?
~ Are you not actually interested in buying stuff when you're on Mumsnet - or are we just showing you the 'wrong' resources?
~ Have you bought from MN via Pearson - if so how was it?

Any feedback is welcome.

Everyone who adds a comment will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will get a £50 John Lewis voucher as a thank you.

Thanks, MNHQ

PS: here's the link to the Pearson shop on MN if you want to check it out

missorinoco Thu 14-Jun-12 21:15:22

I'm back to revoke my opinion. Pearson kindly looked into the delay, and sent me some complimentary reading material, that looks great; currently it's a little too advanced for my three year old to start, but my five year old is not too old for some of it. The learning attachments such as Alphaphonic letters are a hit. I have also just received the book set, when it came back in stock.

The books are interesting and readable, and my five year old was quite excited about some of the titles. I think having books such as Harry And the Dinosaurs and Lego books included is a great idea.

CervixWithASmile Tue 08-May-12 13:14:27

Thank you! Overdue pregnant woman now very happy! Never normally win anything!

Pinot Tue 08-May-12 12:15:57

Congrats Cervix smile

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 08-May-12 10:41:13

Thanks for all the comments - much appreciated - am pleased to say CervixWithASmile's name was pulled out the hat and she wins the £50 JL voucher.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 06-May-12 22:16:57

Ok, have had a look. Clicked on maths and English which are surely the main areas and it's only Carole vordeman books. Which in my opinion are crap. Bought one once, it was cluttered, didn't explain stuff well and most importantly it wasn't fun. Collins and letts books are much better.

So maybe you need to expand your range?

VivaLeBeaver Sun 06-May-12 22:10:12

I normally buy books from amazon.

I do buy resources to help dd with her schoolwork.

Now I spend a lot of time on MN, am he every day and I have never heard of Pearson. I had no idea MN were working with you, that mums netters were reviewing stuff, that there was a shop, etc.

Dunno if you have ads on MN as I don't notice the ads, have tuned them out completely. Sorry. So I guess that makes me not very interested in buying stuff. However I will go and look now as am actually interested.

TheThingUpstairs Sun 06-May-12 21:54:29

~ Where do you normally buy books from for your child and why do you buy from there? Do you use the library a lot or borrow from elsewhere?
I use the library a lot, work in one so its very convenient to get books for dc after shift has finished. Also get books from second hand shops. Don't really tend to buy books unless it is a really well loved one.

~ Are you looking for resources to buy to help your child? Or does the free service give you all the support you need? No.

~ Is it that you've not found the shop, or if you've gone there is it too difficult to find your way around? Or any other issues with it? I was not aware there was one.

~ Are you not actually interested in buying stuff when you're on Mumsnet - or are we just showing you the 'wrong' resources? Usually not interested in buying stuff when on MN.

~ Have you bought from MN via Pearson - if so how was it? No.

missorinoco Sun 06-May-12 20:25:07

So following this thread I went onto the link, liked the look of the books and orderd a set. Good price, all straightforward. ITwo days later I receive an invoice email stating there is important information about the order on it, and I should download it. The important information is that the order is out of stock and my request has been listed.

I am now grumpily unimpressed. I appreciate the product may go out of stock, but the delay in informing me, and the way Pearsons did inform me has annoyed me.

I'm unlikely to use the link to go back there unless the product comes back in stock in the near future. The invoice has no information about when they expect stock in again, if at all.

KJ123 Sat 05-May-12 13:10:03

I didn't know there was this website. I love my daughter to read, but through experience are now sometimes wary of buying books she sees and wants in shops and then doesn't read. Soi I favour libraries, charity shops or companies/websites like The Book People which are so much cheaper.

margia Thu 03-May-12 21:05:06

We use the library a LOT. But for workbooks etc. I usually just pick up what I see wandering around Tesco/WHSmith etc. I think it is really crucial to be able to see the pages of a workbook before buying to check the level against your own child. I personally hadn't looked for resources via mumsnet, but might in the future now that I'm aware of them.

mumah Thu 03-May-12 19:46:58

I was unaware there was a Pearson bookshop on Mumsnet. But I would have to say I would most likely continue to buy my son's books through Amazon, purely because of the convenience of the app. We use the library regularly and having the ability to just scan the barcode of a book he loves and it is instantly added to our wish list makes it impossibly easy. We have also used 'The Book People' when buying book collections for our son as they offer great value on book sets/collections.

Eirwen Thu 03-May-12 13:33:56

Sorry, I didn't know there was a bookshop. We have always used the Library a lot. The four children have always had new books through the various school bookclubs (usually three or four per year). As they've become older and followed book series, we've tended to use Amazon for birthday and Christmas presents. They all enjoy a rummage in the charity shops and have had some super books for just pennies. The lovely independent book shops in our small town have all closed, leaving just WHS which has a limited selection of children's books. We've also been lucky enough to win several new books in various competitions and giveaways (including some from Mumnset). This is a brilliant bonus. Our middle daughter recently read "Itch" which I won before it was actually released she and absolutely loved it. She told all her friends about it, even though it wasn't yet available in the shops at that time!
As I wasn't aware of the Pearson shop, I can't really comment on it.

telsa Thu 03-May-12 13:32:00

I buy books from bookshops, charity shops, ABE second hand books online. I buy books from anywhere, but particularly like second-hand and bargain bookstores - provided they have the books I want. I am usually looking for specific books, so online is useful, as it is very searchable.
We use the local library a lot - we used to use it more when the children were not at school, as we were able to visit it much more.

I do look for workbooks, but high quality ones that are imaginative and academically sound. I find the range on Pearson's Mumsnet a bit limited.
Will certainly use the free resources and take it from there!

~ Are you not actually interested in buying stuff when you're on Mumsnet - or are we just showing you the 'wrong' resources?

I would be happy to buy when on Mumsnet, but I would want to be sure that it was the best price.

I have not.

gingercat12 Thu 03-May-12 13:24:41

Amazon, supermarket and Waterstones in this order. We somestimes also use the library.

~ Are you looking for resources to buy to help your child? Or does the free service give you all the support you need?

~ Is it that you've not found the shop, or if you've gone there is it too difficult to find your way around? Or any other issues with it?
I did not now about the Pearson section on Mumsnet. Sorry.

Not yet.

DorisIsWaiting Thu 03-May-12 12:20:57

We use the library loads (even instead of school library books when dd1 was coming home with dross which she was not able to access). We also 'shop' at car boot sales and charity shops, children grow out of books so quickly and their tastes change as they develop I object to spending much (particularly with 3 dc). The dc's have great fun finding bargain books.

Occasionally I love for additional resources for specific things if I feel they need additional help with something but I normally set out and reserach carefully what I want to buy.

TBH I haven't seen the shop, I've probably seen the ad but I ignore pretty much all the advertising unless it is something really eye-catching (i.e. offering a freebie!)

I come on mn to chat, ask for advice and read the reviews but I can't remember ever using mn to shop. I don't have a huge amount of cash spare so tend to avoid things that are likely to make me want 'stuff', i.e. ad's.

~Where do you normally buy books from for your child and why do you buy from there? Do you use the library a lot or borrow from elsewhere?
Amazon usually, because it's convenient to sit and browse in the evening. We have a local independent childrens bookshop and occasionally I'll take the kids in. I do feel guilty for not using it more but she doesn't tend to be very well stocked and the kids want the books NOW. We love the library and have often bought books on the back of enjoying our borrowed ones.

No, they do enough educational stuff at school.

I looked at it briefly from the link above but haven't explored it much. I have about half a dozen websites I use and don't have much time for anything else

I often buy stuff that other posters have recommended but not often from advertising links

No

VikingVagine Thu 03-May-12 12:06:21

Amazon or the The Book Depository because shipping is free. I don't use the library because I like owning the books we read (I never know which book to read with the children so having a wide variety to hand is useful).

Yes, I feel my children spend enough time in front of a screen as it is, I don't want to have to rely on Internet for everything.

I wasn't aware there was a shop, as I have already said I use Amazon or The Book Depository.

When things are advertised on MN if I find them interesting I might buy them (but will shop around for the best price).

No.

dayofthetriffids Thu 03-May-12 11:13:23

I didn't know there was a Pearson shop (or any shop) on MN. I've only heard of Pearson via the product feedback thread (altho' I wasn't chosen as a tester) but haven't read any of the reports back from people. I browsed through the shop for a peek and found that actually I have got some Pearson books already at home - which are Ok.

The shop is not very appealing to navigate. Lots of clicking on age ranges and abilities before you see any products. Pics of products are all quite small. I'd like to be able to see the product clearer and have just a small amount of text showing the type of stage/sentences the book contains. I was looking at the phonics thing and I always get confused by the colours and bands - does this relate to the same bands and stage that my/all schools use (ORT or whatever?) or is this just Pearsons one?

Basically because of my confusion over that if I'm buying an educational book then I tend to either buy a range that I know that my child has at school (so look specifically for that on, usually on Amazon. Or for more impulse buys I look at books that are dropped off at nursery/school by The Book Club where I can see what I'm buying. Or the supermarket.

For reading books I tend to use the library a lot.

I would consider looking at the MN Pearson shop (or probably just searching direct for Pearson (sorry, MN!) just cos I'd probably forget about the MN link. I mainly specifically look for quality educational books when I'm worried about a specific issue. Otherwise supermarket/Amazon/The Book People have it covered for me.

rockinmum Thu 03-May-12 09:52:53

Where do you normally buy books from for your child and why do you buy from there? Do you use the library a lot or borrow from elsewhere?
We use the local library regularly as it encourages my children to choose books themselves, however we also buy ALOT of books for them as my eldest child (3) loves stories and is learning to read.
We are always on the lookout to buy resources which will help our children but I was not aware there was a shop on Mumsnet. My DD (3) enjoys completeing the KS1 workbooks with me and I feel this is part of the reason why she is good with numbers.
I didn't know it existed.
Now I know about the shop I am muh more likely to buy from yourselves.
No, see previous answer.

Ivytheterrible Thu 03-May-12 09:41:16

Where do you normally buy books from for your child and why do you buy from there? Do you use the library a lot or borrow from elsewhere?

Another one here who rarely buys books for their DC. We get so many as gifts and as DD birthday and Christmas are so close I tend to hide some to bring out later in the year. Also use the library and also swop with friends as DD gets bored of the same books so quickly. If I do buy I use Amazon or the Book people.

Are you looking for resources to buy to help your child? Or does the free service give you all the support you need?

DD is only 2 so not wanting resources yet. More interested in letting her look at any book she is interested in so lots of variation, different interest etc. instead of just "educational" titles.

Is it that you've not found the shop, or if you've gone there is it too difficult to find your way around? Or any other issues with it?

Just had a look. Not much choice in there for my DD age group compared to other online stores so I doubt I would buy from such a narrow selection.

Are you not actually interested in buying stuff when you're on Mumsnet - or are we just showing you the 'wrong' resources?

Unlikely to buy books through a MN shop but would buy if someone suggested something great on a more general thread. Like I do for style and beauty.

Have you bought from MN via Pearson - if so how was it?

Not bought anything.

CreamolaFoamFan Thu 03-May-12 08:54:27

We buy from a mix of bookshop & second-hand shop. Unless I've seen the book elsewhere, I like to be able to look through a book before I buy. I
We get a lot as presents, as well.

I just didn't know it was there. I think the age banding isn't great, as my two-year-old really likes picture books and having stories read to him, but there don't seem to be any in the 0-3 band, just the baby board book type. Not a huge selection, either, and nothing different that I couldn't find elsewhere.

I just tend to come to have a read and a break, although I find recommendations from other Mumsnetters useful.

lumbago Wed 02-May-12 22:50:01

We kept losing library books and having to buy them do now I just buy. From amazon or waterstones

zipzap Wed 02-May-12 22:25:39

Tend to buy books from The Book People (or Bananas, their end of line online store), amazon or local cheap book outlets. Rarely buy books from full price book shops any more - locally they charge significantly more but don't offer any real insight or service for your money, nor do they carry a particularly good range of kids books. Where my mum lives is a fantastic independent book store with a couple of knowledgeable owners, whilst they don't have a big collection, I always come out of there with something a bit different and fantastic, so am happy to buy full price books from them even thought I could probably get the from amazon more cheaply if I looked.

I do look for extra resources for my child - I've bought sets of reading books for him and also maths practice books. however he does use some free stuff - not least because he loves doing maths and would happily do a maths book a day if I let him (I don't as it's too expensive!) whereas I really struggle to make him read and enjoy reading...

I didn't know the pearson's shop existed on MN. When I went to have a look at it I wasn't that impressed sorry - either with the prices (stuff I looked at was about twice the price as the same stuff on Amazon - which seems a bit off it is direct from the publishers!) or with looking for books - I tried to click on the age group I was interested in and nothing happened - then discovered I had to click into each section, I couldn't just see a list of everything the shop had for an age group. I gave up before I got to the end of the drop down navigation - so you didn't even give me a chance to look at lots of your books, let alone sell them to me. I'm a big girl - I know how to scroll - I don't need everything separated out into different areas. That's nice to have as well, don't get me wrong - but certainly don't ignore the fact that some people like to scroll down a long list of books.

Wouldn't think of buying stuff off MN usually - but not averse to it. I do get the shopping emails and scan them so maybe you could flag up your own shops on here more? And have more obvious ads - not just for the MN Pearson shop but for the MN shopping centre in general to raise more awareness. Have just looked at top nav and have no idea looking at it where any shops are on MN.
I think prices need to be competitive too - maybe not identical to the ones in amazon or book people, but at least in the same ball park.

No, sorry, didn't know it existed...

tinypumpkin Wed 02-May-12 21:32:42

I never knew there was a Pearson's shop either. Like many, I use the library mostly although I do buy books. When I do, I will always search out the cheapest option which is often Amazon. I have sometimes bought from The Book People too.

IsAnyoneListening Wed 02-May-12 21:08:31

I tend to buy all of my kids books from the book people. I have found their service to be fast and the quality and choice is great.

I could be tempted away by lower prices if the service was as good.

We also go to the library every week and tend to pick up books there we would never have thought to buy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now