Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

NOW CLOSED: Talk to us about buying children's books: you could win a £50 JL voucher

(167 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 29-Apr-12 13:29:00

As you may or may not know, we have been working with Pearson Education over the last year or so.

Pearson is an educational publisher - they have provided many worksheets here for example, and free e-books [link], as well as working with MN to provide information on curriculum review as well as lots more see here.

Some Mumsnetters have been reviewing the books - for KS1 and KS2 (and Scottish equivalents too). These books (and more) are for sale in the Pearson shop on Mumsnet (and elsewhere).

They say "you have fed back that you like support we are giving you monthly, we've had 100s of positive MN reviews of the packs of books in the shop, and there's been some fantastic feedback from Mnetters that our books have really helped their children learn to read"

HOWEVER...we're not seeing loads of visitors to the shop! sad

Please take a couple of minutes to let us know why. For example....

~ Where do you normally buy books from for your child and why do you buy from there? Do you use the library a lot or borrow from elsewhere?
~ Are you looking for resources to buy to help your child? Or does the free service give you all the support you need?
~ Is it that you've not found the shop, or if you've gone there is it too difficult to find your way around? Or any other issues with it?
~ Are you not actually interested in buying stuff when you're on Mumsnet - or are we just showing you the 'wrong' resources?
~ Have you bought from MN via Pearson - if so how was it?

Any feedback is welcome.

Everyone who adds a comment will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will get a £50 John Lewis voucher as a thank you.

Thanks, MNHQ

PS: here's the link to the Pearson shop on MN if you want to check it out

eeden Sun 29-Apr-12 15:03:56

~ Where do you normally buy books from for your child and why do you buy from there? Do you use the library a lot or borrow from elsewhere?

I "borrow" from Reading Chest because my child struggled with reading and I know that they will send me huge quantities of carefully banded books. My child went from struggling to above average in the space of a few months. If I buy books, it's likely to be from the book people for cheapness, convenience and habit.

~ Are you looking for resources to buy to help your child? Or does the free service give you all the support you need?

It is pretty daunting to find help for a struggling child yourself/structure it correctly. Hence using reading chest and kumon - ie paying for professional help effectively.

~ Is it that you've not found the shop, or if you've gone there is it too difficult to find your way around? Or any other issues with it?

Haven't seen the shop.

~ Are you not actually interested in buying stuff when you're on Mumsnet - or are we just showing you the 'wrong' resources?

Yes am interested in buying but indecisive and don't trust myself to get the right things.

No. I might have a look now.

ragged Sun 29-Apr-12 15:10:16

I just typed a query into the search box at top & got these results, does MN get pennies on back of that query, if I click one of the links? I don't see an obvious link to the Pearson shop, why not?

Sorry, I just don't think of MN as a shopping portal.
In the same way I can't remember to shop online via Nectar or the other pennies-back websites, to access Amazon/Argos/Ebay etc. I need my shopping to be quicker & simpler than all that.

As for book buying for DC: I buy as little as possible, reduce clutter & costs. 4DC+ me had a combined 75 books out on our library cards recently. I didn't understand the comment/reference to "free service" helping my child: what free service? In past I have bought KS1 + KS2 workbooks, but we have enough of those for the foreseeable future already. And I like to browse them in person in a real shop.

At the moment, I buy from car boot sales / charity shops as DS is still very little so I'm just looking for bright things to keep him entertained rather than books to actually read iyswim.

I've borrowed some resources from the library (e.g. books about sleep! or about teaching him to swim) but not currently looking for educational style books.

I didn't realise there was one. Sorry!

Honestly? Probably not. I'd say I'm here for 70% entertainment, 30% information, and the information is currently for me, rather than for him. Again, maybe that will change as he gets older.

Nope.

Some general thoughts about book buying...

- If I'm looking for something specific, I do compare prices quite competitively. Start on Amazon, also look on eBay (I'm not shy of buying second hand), do a google 'shopping' search, etc. I have bought direct from publishers in the past, but that tends to be for work (teaching)

- On the other hand, I'm also quite compulsive so when I'm browsing online I often end up buying things (have clicked through a few ads on MN, and used codes for JoJo Maman Bebe and Boden)

- Reviews from other MNers would definitely sell things to me
<looks sheepishly at BB Cream, BabyBliss Big Hair, a rear facing car seat, Close sling, The Help --and lots more things I've probably forgotten about-->

CheeryCherry Sun 29-Apr-12 15:17:12

We usually buy books from the book people or amazon for 2nd hand copies of particular books. But the library is our main choice, DS can go online and order copies for our local branch, it works really well.
I am not looking for resourses at the moment.
I didn't know there was a Pearson bookshop on MN, so have never looked at/browsed/bought anything for that reason. Don't consider MN as a shopoing site, though I would follow a link for MN money off voucher if I spotted it.

I don't come on MN to shop. And i didn't know there was an MN pearson shop. That said, even if i had known i doubt i would have used it, and don't intend starting. I see the interest for MN but I don't want to use this site for shopping.

I buy almost all books except for second hand bolks from Amazon.

aristocat Sun 29-Apr-12 15:25:31

Where do you normally buy books from for your child and why do you buy from there? Do you use the library a lot or borrow from elsewhere?
I usually use Amazon and the Book People are excellent (good prices/ good choice) too. We do visit the local Libraries very often and always take part in their summer reading schemes - DS did actually win a prize one year!

No, we do not use resources and would use the Library first.

Didnt know there was a shop blush

Yes any excuse to spend money is fine with me.

No, not purchased anything yet, but will look now.

fuzzpig Sun 29-Apr-12 15:26:50

Another one here who hardly ever buys full price books. I just can't bring myself to when I know there are cheaper options. I do make an exception for school book fairs (even though the choice is normally dreadful) and world book day.

I actually work in a library now so obviously we get loads of books from there. They have plenty from charity shops (I volunteered in one) but when I want something specific - for example there are some nostalgic favourites of mine which they've tried from the library and enjoyed so I want to get them - I'll get a hardly-used copy from Amazon or eBay. Occasionally I get new books from discount places like the Works or thebookpeople.

As for the Pearson thing, I had an idea there was a shop on here, but hadn't looked at it yet. I guess the stingy part of me resents being told to buy stuff by MN blush I keep meaning to do more things to help DD with reading but haven't due to a crazily busy year. Now that I know they have free stuff I will be more likely to take a look grin

UniS Sun 29-Apr-12 15:35:15

I don't buy many "new " books for my child, we borrow a lot from the library, Grandparents and other relatives buy new books. I buy some books second hand. I buty "new " books for my nieces and nephews, but they live abroad so I use a web shop based in their home country.

Not looking for resources. School and library are pretty good.

Haven't gone looking for the shop.

Not normally looking to buy stuff when on MN.

Not done so, so no opinion.

PepeLePew Sun 29-Apr-12 15:36:50

We use the library sometimes but our local one is dire and the better one isn't particularly convenient. Mostly I buy from Amazon or the Book People or our local independent (ESP if the children have book tokens) plus the odd opportunist purchase (e.g. a book on mummies at the British Museum yesterday).

I am always prepared to buy resources if they are suitable, though free obviously better

I didn't know it was there!

I don't think of MN as somewhere to actually buy stuff. Will check it out!

BornSicky Sun 29-Apr-12 15:52:05

I also didn't know about the shop link and will now probably take q look because of this thread.

I buy most of my books at car boot sales and charity shops, but for specific ones I know I want, I buy from a local, independent book shop.

I have trouble finding multi-lingual books for my son, so I also ask friends overseas to buy them in their home language and send them over.

lostinpants Sun 29-Apr-12 16:14:40

I too didn't realise the Pearson thing was a link to shop, thought it was just another ad. I buy or loan loads of books, (we are all avid readers, especially DS1) usually from:
Our great local library
DC's school library
Car boot sales & charity shops
Amazon online, they have great deals
The book people, also great deals especially for sets
Waterstones, cos I just fancy one at the time and I love to browse
I often send book vouchers/Waterstone's vouchers for kids presents too
occasionally from supermarkets
I don't know Pearson so have no reason to buy from them. what's their USP?

Woodyhels Sun 29-Apr-12 16:14:47

I join the masses by saying I didn't know there was a shop.

We tend to use the library (we have been in 4 different ones this week) we also find books we like in waterstones or whsmith and then look for the cheapest prices, we also have a kindle but no books for dd on there yet as she is only 8 months

megabored Sun 29-Apr-12 16:15:35

I did not know there was a shop on mumsnet to buy books. I generally buy from amazon as they are the cheapest. Also, Costco if u r a member are really cheap to buy books from.

SuePurblyingoodVOICE Sun 29-Apr-12 16:17:37

I didn't know about the shop but I prolly wouldn't use it much anyway. I tend to buy second-hand (sorry) or use the library. I do buy audio books new so I'll pop along to see if you have any.

Could you have a pinned thread, at the top of the Children' Books section, with links to the shop? Or a weekly book club, perhaps with children's reviews non sweary. I think MNetters tend to buy from other Mnetters, or at least on their recommendations, not from a shop so much IYSWIM.

wolvesdidit Sun 29-Apr-12 16:23:26

We use the library every week. We occasionally buy their books from Amazon (best range) and mainly from the Book People (excellent value). We also get a lot out of charity shops.

I am always looking for resources as we home educate. The free service (have not looked at it) would not entice me to buy books anyway as I usually know what I am looking for.

Fine but I like the unbiased reviews that I get on Amazon.

I never think about buying stuff whilst I am on Mumsnet.

Have not bought anything

clopper Sun 29-Apr-12 16:26:04

Where do you normally buy books from for your child and why do you buy from there? Do you use the library a lot or borrow from elsewhere? Waterstones and WH Smiths sometimes also amazon, but mostly boot sales. we use the library regularly.

Are you looking for resources to buy to help your child? Or does the free service give you all the support you need? Am interested in maths books/ resources and 11+ materials at the moment

Is it that you've not found the shop, or if you've gone there is it too difficult to find your way around? Or any other issues with it? Unaware of shop

Are you not actually interested in buying stuff when you're on Mumsnet - or are we just showing you the 'wrong' resources? don't really think about buying things through Mumsnet, but am interested in reviews from other parents about different products

Have you bought from MN via Pearson - if so how was it? Not bought anything

TheProvincialLady Sun 29-Apr-12 16:44:51

~ Where do you normally buy books from for your child

Local second and bookshop, Waterstones, an independent bookshop nearby - but TBH they are given so many that I tend to only need to buy them for presents or for example if DS1 is doing a particular topic at schol.

Might be looking.

II didn't know there was a shop.

I have never bought anything via mumsnet. It's not really why I come here.

No but I will have a look.

AllotmentLottie Sun 29-Apr-12 17:54:19

I never actually spotted the shop on here. I have to say that browsing for books I tend to do at local charity shops (we have many!) and then I use Amazon or the local Waterstones when I have a specfic book in mind.

We also use the library a lot. DS is currently on Beast Quest 24 - we'd be bankrupt if we bought all those ourselves, as they only take him a day or two to read.

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 29-Apr-12 18:00:51

~ Where do you normally buy books from for your child?
Amazon if I'm looking for something specific. Also the supermarket, where I buy on impulse sometimes.
Not looking for resources (paid-for or free). Not sure if this will change as my DCs progress though school, however.
I didn't know there was a shop. Slightly ashamed to admit that after idly clicking on some links, I've still not found it!
I use Mumsnet for chatting. I might be tempted to click though a link if someone particularly raves about something, but I certainly don't come here to shop.
No.

i haven't heard of this shop but i generally buy books from amazon. i recently bought several children's books from play.com who can also be extremely reasonable and offer free delivery.

in terms of learning resources i can't imagine that i would buy things given they are used for such short periods and tend to be so overpriced. i'd make my own or use aqa or other sites to find free resources online. i have been with my sister when she has bought such resources (ks subject guides, study aids) in whsmith before and didn't really cover much.

i can't see a link and the only pearson books i can find via googling seems to be aimed at HE and professional books.

bagelmonkey Sun 29-Apr-12 19:31:05

I didn't know the shop was there either, but I'll certainly check it out now. I buy most of my books online, although I do make a number of impulse book purchases when I'm out in town. Books are one of my weaknesses & I love buying them as gifts for other children.

ohmeohmy Sun 29-Apr-12 19:33:35

Hard t find shop. Tend to get kids books in charity shops, or amazon.

Indith Sun 29-Apr-12 19:38:55

We use the library really, I don't often buy books for them, books are expensive. Various relatives buy them so we still seem to have shelves overflowing with books. Ds1 (reception) reads early chapter books and such from the library and we have a set of jolly phonics workbooks which is what they use at school so I don't feel the need to get more stuff as he reads anything he can get his hands on anyway.

I might take a second look at the shop though for numeracy resources as he is less confident with numbers and I am less confident supporting him with them.

gazzalw Sun 29-Apr-12 19:43:57

PPS If I was after educational resources I would probably look in the library first. When DS was doing his 11+ prep we did invest in quite a lot of VR/NVR/Maths and English related practice papers (from W H Smith)but at that point we weren't even aware of the Pearson portal on Mumsnet.

I don't think that for primary schooling we would invest in educational resources that had to be purchased. Might be different for KS3/KS4/and beyond, when the DCs get to those educational milestones. Only general book that we've been tempted to buy (it's been sitting in my Amazon basket for months) is the Carol Vorderman one that explains maths - seems like a good back-up resource to have in the house, particularly as we are not very mathematically-minded parents grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now