Please note: This topic is for discussions paid for by Mumsnet clients. If you'd like to have your own paid for discussion thread, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com. If you are a start-up or student and you want to request feedback from MNers, please post in Media Requests topic.

NOW CLOSED Beating babies' blocked-up noses: we need your tips, please

(93 Posts)
GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 27-Sep-10 14:30:52

Does your baby ever get a stuffy or blocked nose? If so, you'll know that it can make sleeping and feeding difficult - for both of you.

The folks at Sterimar Baby natural nasal spray would like to hear your tips on beating baby snuffles.

Do you know a brilliant blocked-up-nose beater? Or maybe a clever way to help a snuffly baby feed more easily? Or perhaps a genius tip that'll help a baby full of cold sleep better at night?

If so, please post it here on this thread. Everyone who sends in an idea, tip or suggestion will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 of Mothercare vouchers.

Please note that your tips may be published on Mumsnet at a later date.

MilkNoSugarAndAShotofWhisky Wed 30-May-12 10:58:02

Run the shower/taps on full (Only hot, no cold) and steam the bathroom up so much the paint peels off grin then either sit baby up or carry them upright so snot flows out...nice grin

RickGhastley Tue 29-May-12 21:04:10

saline drops
nasal aspirator
few drops olbas oil on a tissue near baby's nose for a minute or two. I tuck the tissue into my bra strap when I'm BFing so baby can smell it.
keep baby propped up when feeding
raise baby's head when sleeping - eg use books to raise one end of cot
Keep heating off if not too cold, I find central heating makes baby more blocked up
When bathing baby I put some olbas oil in a sinkful of boiling water which results in a lovely steamy menthol atmosphere to unblock his nose while he's having a bath

HannahLI Tue 15-May-12 22:46:34

We have an electric nasal aspirator which is brilliant much better than the one you just draw air into this is a great starting point ( you can soften with saline drops first) to clear the nose then I use the electric vapuoriser. I personally use the boots one and it makes for a much better nights sleep.
If I am desperate I also use Vicks vapour rub on there chest and this is good during the day when you can't always have the vapuoriser on!

cakeismysaviour Tue 08-May-12 10:51:04

We have used a snot sucker. I was sceptical about them, but they work well.

When I was little, my mum used to put some vicks in a bowl of steaming hot water in my room which I am told worked well also. smile

WhenDoISleep Wed 02-May-12 22:37:38

Saline drops or breast milk squirted in their nose.

Propping up the end of the cot, either using blocks or using a wedge type pillow (like the ones sold for reflux).

Vicks or snuffle babe rubbed into their feet (works best if they have their feets cover by a babygro or similar).

Karvol of Tyxilix vaporisers.

Sitting in the bathroom with the shower on boiling to generate steam, or using a special steam generator in the bedroom.

zipzap Wed 02-May-12 22:32:04

Propping the end of the cot up on telephone directories/old magazines to get gravity to help keep the snot out of their sinuses

Nasal sprays never seemed to work for ds1 (other than to distress him and subsequently make him scream and cry which did then tend to make the snot come out - but probably not the way that was intended!) so I didn't even bother trying them for ds2

Olbas oil - couple of drips on their pj shoulders works wonders.

Particularly if the heating is on - putting a wet towel on the radiator in the room to help keep it humid (cheaper than a humidifier)

theduchesse Mon 30-Apr-12 13:15:50

We always prop the cot up on some big fat useless parenting books. I did find that it was important to take them away again in between colds (if there is actually a break between colds) to get full effect from the propped cot - no idea why.

We also use saline nose spray. After 3 months or whenever they learn to breath through their mouth as well I found the nose spray worked best if I used it right before breastfeeding so that he would breath through his nose to clear it out properly.

ScorpionQueen Mon 16-Jan-12 13:32:22

I had one of those face saunas when DD was a baby. I'd put some Olbas Oil in the water and have it running near the baby (but not actually put their faces in the steam). It was lovely and worked on us all.

After reading about it on here I use baby Vicks on the feet. After 2 weeks of sleepless nights with a snotty baby it worked wonders.

Got a hmm look of dp when I put it on ds then a "well I suppose you being on that mumsnet isn't all bad then" the following morning grin

Liquid ibuprofen (was recommended by pharmascist) as a lot of the snuffling is apparently caused by inflamation of the nasal passage as well as snot. It did the trick beautifully and also stopped snot irritating the back of the throat and calmed the coughing.

Not directly related, but Sudocreme or similar on the cheeks at bedtime can help stop skin irritation, which ds2 gets when he rubs his nose and smears snot across his face.

onadietcokebreak Sat 13-Nov-10 19:29:39

Saline nose drops worked a treat on my DS. Apart from that snuffle baby and bath.

BonzoDooDah Sat 13-Nov-10 12:08:14

Is there a closing date on this?

melissab Fri 12-Nov-10 21:39:03

I tend to give a squirt of nasal saline spray (love the spray compared to the drops - much easier to de-bung the nostrils with)
I then wait a minute or so, and use a nasal suction bulb to remove the offending muck.

Leaving a damp flannel with a few drops of menthol on a radiator in the room seems to help delay re-blocking, too

SuiGeneris Fri 22-Oct-10 14:24:28

Saline nose drops while reclined, followed by sitting baby on my knee and using the nose aspirator. Works v well and baby now seems to understand and, if bunged up, try to stick his nostrils onto the aspirator by himself.

Also, put on underfloor heating the bathroom, lay large towel on the bathroom floor and run a very hot shower while baby and I play on the warm towel. Sometimes I also add one or two drops of olbas oil to a sinkful of hot water- but baby stays on the warm towel nowhere near sink or shower.

We used to raise one end of the cot with books. Cheap and cheerful grin

Belo Wed 20-Oct-10 11:25:47

A chest rub with Snuffle Baby (or the cheaper Boots version), and then sitting in the bathroom with me while I have a long soak in a bath which has a couple of drops of eucalyptus essential oil in it.

MummyO3 Wed 20-Oct-10 11:11:16

i use the nose sucker things where you put it to there nose and squeeze the wee ball thing and it sucks it out

jessica789 Tue 19-Oct-10 20:25:00

My LO is currently suffering from a blocked up nose. Poor lamb. Having read good things about them, I went to my local chemists today in search of a 'snot sucker' but neither stocked them - pah! Had to make do with some vapour rub (the smell reminds me sooo much of my mum rubbing it my back when I was poorly) and some Calpol. Might have to try the nasal spray too.

When he was a very wee one, propping his cot up at the head end and putting a bowl of water by the bed worked a treat at easing his congestion.

maxybrown Wed 13-Oct-10 16:25:26

Baby nose clear snot sucker worked fab - as long as you can keep them still and get it in the right place! or very gently place rolled tissue, usually pulls it all out!

kludge Mon 11-Oct-10 16:30:38

Warm bath, baby nose clear snotsucker, walk in the fresh air, and Karvol on a muslin in cot.

Phew96 Mon 11-Oct-10 13:19:22

DS and DD have both just had colds and I found the saline spray really useful. It was so much easier to use than the drops we've tried previously.

I also second the recommendation of Vaseline around the nostrils to stop them getting sore and raising the head of the cot

sugarlake Mon 11-Oct-10 08:28:38

If your baby has a snuffly cold in summer, take them outside and expose their face to the direct sun for a moment - they will automatically sneeze.

charliechin Mon 11-Oct-10 08:21:50

With a baby that had reflux for 20 weeks my tips are:

Snot suckers - we used the NUK one and it got a lot of snot out.
Radiator humidifier - add a few drops of the baby nose clear
For when my daughter had a proper cold and not just sick going up her nose, then I used some rub on her chest or some drops on a cloth.

The best thing is a snot sucker, does not hurt her and gets instant results. If you start using it at a young age, your child will not be frightened of it either - my daughter, now at 8 months has a cold and she lets me use the snot sucker without any problem, she even smiles when I use it - think it may give her a lot of relief!

BonzoDooDah Fri 01-Oct-10 16:31:33

I always find feeding them a good hot curry helps get the nose juices running grin

Seriously though I try a warm bath in a steamy room and then Karvol drops on the bedding.

Honeydragon Wed 29-Sep-10 22:17:29

as a preventative measure when I make tomato pasta sauce I always use ginger, garlic and onions for preventing colds. They have it at least once a week in some guise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now