Our SN area is not a substitute for expert advice. While many Mumsnetters have a specialist knowledge of special needs, if they post here they are posting as members, not experts. There are, however, lots of organisations that can help - some suggestions are listed here. If you've come across an organisation that you've found helpful, please tell us. Go to Special needs chat, Parents with disabilities, SN teens, SN legal, SN education, SN recommendations.

advice on choosing a new school for statement during assessment

(5 Posts)
redhappy Tue 26-Feb-13 11:19:29

Yes, but I'm wondering if it might be helpful to have her support through the process.

I just always feel so out of my depth doing this sort of stuff, and everyone on here seems so confident and knowledgable I wonder what I'm doing so wrong!

lougle Tue 26-Feb-13 11:12:20

You don't need to tell anyone, if you don't think it's necessary right now. It's your right in law to change his school - you don't need to get approval.

redhappy Tue 26-Feb-13 10:54:17

Thanks.

It's so hard to know who's 'side' everyone is on. I'm planning to tell the person from the Teaching Advisory Service who comes to see ds at school, I have a good relationship with her, but when it comes down to it I have no idea how impartial she can be.

lougle Tue 26-Feb-13 10:47:21

It doesn't matter where your DS attends now, his needs are his needs. Once the LA issue the proposed statement, you will have the opportunity to name any maintained school and the LA must admit your DS there, even if it's over numbers, unless the school can't meet your DS's needs.

So, wait until proposed statement time, then name the new school in the document. It may mean that you move straight away, or the LA may allow you to wait until September.

The statement will simply go with your DS.

redhappy Tue 26-Feb-13 09:51:41

Clumsily worded title, sorry.

Basically ds is in mainstream, being assessed for statement. I would like to start him at a new school in September, can I get this to work so that The statement will go to the new school with him? I don't want to have to wait a year for review. He is in year 1, and has a sibling in reception, and I have found a school I like which currently has space for both of them.

I have been so terrified at the thought of ever changing his school but I don't feel it's the best school for my other child, and I'm looking to move to a different part of town and would like them to both go to the local school there. I feel like it's better to do it now, as the longer I leave it the harder it will be.

Any advice appreciated, I'm feeling very overwhelmed! Would it helped if I moved house first? (for purposes of statement so it's the closest school to us)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now