There are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN in our special need webguide here.

Will airlines let you preboard with a child with SN?

(4 Posts)
MariusEarlobe Sun 03-Feb-13 18:05:25

My dd is under going diagnoses at moment, she definately has Dyspraxia and receptive language disorder, it is thought she is on ASD spectrum too and is under going assessments at moment under consultant/school.

She does not cope with crowds, she can panic if its busy and has a flight mode if she loses sight or thinks she has, security is a nightmare.

She does not cope very well with queueing to get on plane and gets very anxious.

We are flying with Thomas Cook in May, will they let us pre board? We have booked seats and paid I just need to get her on and settled.

amazingmumof6 Mon 04-Feb-13 09:28:50

they should do, but it's best to ask the airline and have them confirm this in writing. or get your doctor to give you a note (it might cost money) or have you hospital notes with you - either way it's best if you can "prove"he has a condition which need special treatment.

Crawling Mon 04-Feb-13 10:08:34

I dont know about Thomas Cook but Thompson do as do Virgin so I imagine Thomas Cook will too.

stickyg Mon 04-Feb-13 15:13:46

Phone the airline, they should allow you to do this.

We flew with Thomas Cook last year with my daughter who has autism ( well she is waiting diagnosis ). We decided against pre boarding though as my daughter would have got so impatient with waiting. With thomas cook, you can actually choose your seats ( if you have prebooked them ) online 90 days ( i think) before deprture. So we booked seats in row 4 or 5 which was near the exit and then when we were one of the last to board, that way we didnt have to wait on everyone else. That worked well for us.

Although on the return flight, my daughtger had a meltdown nearer the end of the flight and just couldnt face puttng her seatbelt on. We got the usual stares but ive got to say the flight crew were amazing, really helpful and understanding.

Hope it goes well for you xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now