Does anyone just put their DC in bed and walk out??

(33 Posts)
grounddown Tue 27-Aug-13 10:52:14

Really?
DS is 7 months, he needs rocking and feeding to sleep, people keep telling me to put him down and walk out but does anyone actually do that? I fed DD to sleep until she was 9 months old and it stopped working, luckily she learnt to self settle quickly. We have issues with her more now at 2.
DS is currently shattered in his cot shouting, I can't see sleep coming any time soon but DD won't leave me alone long enough to settle him.

Cnix Wed 28-Aug-13 07:10:46

I think some babies will just go to sleep themselves in their Moses basket and some just cry. Unfortunately dd was the latter. She does self settle now but always cries for a minute before she goes to sleep. With hindsight I wonder if I'd been a bit more in tune with her crying when she was little was she just crying from tiredness a d if I'd left her she'd have gone over. But with her being my first I never wanted to let her cry for a second. Think I'll be a little tougher if there's a DC2.

Jojay Wed 28-Aug-13 07:42:05

They're all so different, it's not just about what you do. I've got 4 kids. Ds1 always was a dream and I thought we had this parenting lark cracked. Ds2 was fine once I worked out how to swaddle properly.

Then the twins arrived. Dtd was and still is a dream, dts wasn't bad as a baby but around his first birthday he turned into a nightmare and it's taken the best part of a year of me lying on his bedroom floor before I can now put him to bed and walk away.

Some babies are trainable and some are having none of it, ime.

Cat98 Wed 28-Aug-13 07:45:06

No - ds is 5 and still needs me to sit with him while he falls asleep!

EsTutMirLeid Wed 28-Aug-13 07:45:17

Yes but it took us 3 years to get there! ;)

vix206 Wed 28-Aug-13 07:49:57

We used to but then DH started laying down with DS for 10 minutes every night (I was poorly for a week after a MC so oblivious to it) and since then we have the situation where he needs someone with him to fall asleep. Including night wakings confused

Not great now baby number 2 is on the way but I've told DH it's his responsibility wink

ButteryJam Wed 28-Aug-13 09:41:21

I dream of that day OP, I have hopesmile

grounddown Wed 28-Aug-13 10:01:20

I've left him to it again, this morning nap is quite easy, the afternoon one is much trickier. I've just got to accept that rod in my back after all the feeding and rocking I've done, probably to comfort me more than him!! He sleeps on his front so maybe it's the rolling over bit that disturbs him. I don't know, I think I'll just have to go with it.

DD was a dream until she climbed out of the cot just before she turned 2. Now we have to sit with her, I don't agree with this but P doesn't mind so I let him do it. It's when she refuses to go to sleep and runs round the house in the nude (loves taking her clothes off ATM) that annoys me but I'm going to tackle that with a child gate soon (I think)......

Jollyb Wed 28-Aug-13 10:08:09

With DD1 we were able to do this from around 12 weeks. She'd have a very brief grizzle and then fall asleep within a few minutes.

DD2 is only 6 weeks but already seems to be a higher maintenance baby (though obviously very early days!) .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now