When did you move DC into his/her own bedroom?

(36 Posts)
DangerMousey Sat 05-Jan-13 13:35:27

I know the official advice is 6 months in with you (and I understand why), but I wondered if any of you had put their DC into their own bedrooms with a monitor overnight before this? What age did you move them out, and why?

nooka Sun 27-Jan-13 07:24:30

About two weeks for ds as I just couldn't sleep with him in the same room. dd was in with us as we were worried she would wake ds (she was a terrible sleeper) but we ended up sleeping in the sitting room after a few months for about a year until she finally slept well enough to go in with ds. She was a terrible sleeper! They are 13 and 12 so the advice wasn't as strong at that point. I suspect we'd do the same now though.

DancingInTheMoonlight Sun 27-Jan-13 07:32:59

After his 6 week check as his noises were keeping us awake and any trips to the toilet by us would wake him. Still have a monitor 2 years on which has been sufficient and i have been able to detect when he has had his fits (febrile convulsions) by mothers instinct and changes in breathing over the monitor

BlueyDragon Sun 27-Jan-13 07:34:04

DC1: 4 months. We had just come back from holiday so sleeping arrangements had had to change anyway so the opportunity was there.
DC2: maybe 9 weeks? The giant boy was looking a bit cramped in his Moses basket anyway and he and I were keeping each other awake snuffling and snorting. He didn't sleep through until 4 months so I just got up to feed him.

I didn't understand the reasoning behind the 6 month guidelines so ignored them blush. Now I know I might have done things differently.

TheFallenNinja Sun 27-Jan-13 07:37:40

8 weeks. No problems.

DangerMousey Mon 28-Jan-13 12:05:27

Just wanted to update incase anyone in a similar situation is reading this: we made the v difficult decision a week ago, when DS was 6 weeks old, to move him into his own room (next door in a small flat, with a monitor on).

And life has become much easier as a result....whereas before I was lying awake whilst DS slept beside me in the moses basket (flinching at his every snuffle and thinking there was no point in going to sleep as he was bound to wake up again soon), I am now getting 2-3 hours sleep at a time at night in between bottles/getting up to give him a quick cuddle/pop his dummy back in.

Consequently I am feeling much less anxious/depressed/all over the fecking shop during the day.

What I have learnt by this experience: no one can survive in any meaningful way on less than 2 hours sleep per night in the long run. And ultimately, no matter what it says on the DoH/WHO websites, you need to make decisions that work for your family, in full knowledge and awareness of all the risks therein.

DancingInTheMoonlight Mon 28-Jan-13 12:26:56

Congrats OP. Glad you found a solution that works for you and your family

zcos Fri 01-Feb-13 16:25:31

I'm still unsure feel I may sleep better and dd may sleep longer in own room - she is 8.5 weeks now but I still feel v uncertain about it - dd doesn't wake when I need the loo and does sleep for 4 hours sometimes now but is slowly getting too big for Moses basket and big cot won't fit in our bedroom walls are thick in house and slightly worried bout getting into the habit of doors being open with sneaky cats!

I put LO in his own house at 7 days old. Next to our room, so only 5 or 6 steps from my bed to his.

I also put a mattress on the floor in his room, so if he wasn't settling or just being noisy, we could co-sleep and leave OH to sleep in peace!

Typo obviously. Put him in his own ROOM, not house...

Contradictionincarnate Tue 12-Mar-13 00:29:14

<still

Contradictionincarnate Tue 12-Mar-13 00:29:48

still unsure

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now