Misery loves company: anyone want to join me on a support thread for those desperate and demoralised by their 8/9/10 mo sleep?

(1000 Posts)
Suchanamateur Tue 11-Dec-12 14:36:13

Bloody sleep regression. It's like 4 months all over again but worse because it felt (briefly) like we were getting somewhere. Feck. Anyone else want to share tales of woe or is it (a) just me or (b) way too depressing to post about..?

Oh, and clearly, repeat jiggling when DT1 awakes an hour later, not sealed hmm

How long do you leave the white noise on for? White noise is my desperation 'shit, the boob alone isn't working' knock-him-out strategy. Boob + white noise = KO'd baby, but I'll only leave it on for a minute or two after he goes to sleep. Do you keep it going a long time? Is it on your phone (which is part of the reason I don't leave it going) or do you have a CD?

HearMyRoar Mon 18-Mar-13 20:15:18

We used to use white noise and it was fab until dd started waking up every time I turned it off, which as we shared a room was a bit of a problem.

I think the whole self settling obsession is tosh. Dd did it for a while and if anything she woke up quicker when she did then if feed and cuddle her to sleep. One thing I do have that is amazing is a night light that slowly dims and turns off over 15 mins (or less if you start it darker). This really seems to help her settle. It's sort of magic. At the moment she likes to wander about the bed a bit and then finally flakes out across my lap.

<Arising from the covers like Dracula from his tomb>

So we are improving after several hellish nights. Last night I must have got 2 hours between 2 and 4 after both Stitch then dd1 were up.coughing and generally unwell. Then from 4.30-6 Stitch was up again coughing then in our bed so I was squashed on the edge sleeping fitfully between bouts of my own coughing until 8am.

I have a Prince Lionheart bear for stitch, the sound part is removable, so it hangs off the side of her cot (or you can put it in the bear). It plays white noise, heart beat sounds, stitch likes the ocean waves one,but she activates it so if she cries or stirs it will restart for 5 mins. You can also record your voice into it.

Stitch is a boob to sleep girl, although she will if full and tired at night submit if I put a hand on her back in the cot and let her hold my other hand. Takes ages to remove that hand though, finger by finger.

Womb to world cd from amazon, its 70 minutes. Used to play it aeroplane-taking-off-in-room LOUD, sometimes on repeat all night, now quiet background noise and off after the 70 min.

<brings mug of hot chocolate and orders masseuse for stitchatemysleep >

<gratefully accepts Dreaming's hot chocolate and masseuse>

Marginally better today Stitch woke once last night after taking half an hour to put to sleep in her cot (got to used to our bed). Dd1 also woke once and ended up in our bed, but is easier to sleep next to. What a relief.

My mum has now gone home so I am hoping that they can repeat that as DH has sciatica really badly again and can't lift them. Plus he is teetering on the edge of getting flu and needs to be in work, so the nights will be me on my own mostly.

HearMyRoar Thu 21-Mar-13 17:44:47

<<Sweeps round in nurses cap to administer medicinal whisky>>

Well, dd has another tooth appearing so that nice run of 2-3 wakes per night is officially over. It was nice while it lasted hmm

Hope you are all feeling better!

Sir Shit-a-Lot is still going. confused

Do y'all go to bed every night thinking, 'tonight will be The Night they finally sleep' or am I alone in my chronic naïveté?

HearMyRoar Thu 21-Mar-13 19:41:09

Oh, I gave up thinking that ages ago. I am like a reed in the wind, I except the blows of fate as the come. <assumes zen like pose of calm and wisdom>. Either that or I have just become irretrievably pessimistic grin

Sometimes I think they'll all sleep all night, or until 3am at least, sometimes like when my mum arrives with newspaper clippings about the importance of sleep and how lack of is parental fault I feel convinced they never will and a total failure. DT2 up loads too last night which really does us in. I was up 1:50 to 4:50 last night with DT1, then 2, then 1 again, then 2 again. I'm not joking, I nearly lost the plot.

<tries to become more like a reed, and zen like>
<fails miserably>

Tired tired tired.

ElphabaTheGreenAndBlacks Sun 24-Mar-13 10:15:45

Well, the vomiting has stopped but the pooing hasn't. We're still on two or three poonami nappy changes per night, in between the millions of other wake-ups. I can't believe I've done all this breastfeeding yet this child is NEVER WELL. And it never made weight melt off me the way I was promised.

It also seems my own biorhythms are now so annihilated that I can't even do catch-up sleep. DH took DS this morning after a truly awful night so I could have a lie-in. An hour I lay there for, exhausted but incapable of sleeping. AARGH!

<Quietly flashes subtle, Easter-themed chocolatey name-change>

HearMyRoar Sun 24-Mar-13 11:20:42

Ooo...nice name change grin

Well, dd is now a whole year old and officially fully mobile! She's now on proper walking about rather than just flinging herself between things.

Naps and bedtime have gone a bit mental. Sleep is a heady mix of manageable and soul destroying.

This is the latest update from the house of roar. Thank you and goodnight.

StitchAteMyEasterEggs Tue 26-Mar-13 00:38:29

Liking the name change Elphaba, sorry to hear the pooathon continues.

<Hands out cooling eye gel and matchsticks>

Stitch is also walking fully, navigating obstacles and climbing anything that stands in her way.

We did have a few good five hour stretches of sleep after the flu as she was so tired.

She is now teething I think as she has had a raging fever all day and has been sleeping lots. Already woken three times tonight so far so might be up a bit more If that is anything to go by.

ElphabaTheGreenAndBlacks Tue 26-Mar-13 18:03:30

Aaaand...we're crawling! grin

And the best thing is, that means he's going to sleep ALL night now, doesn't it! Doesn't it...?!

HearMyRoar Wed 27-Mar-13 08:42:04

Dd did start sleeping a bit better when she started walking but it's been ruined by 3 teeth coming through. <sigh>

Ahem. DT1, aka night terror baby, crawls and pulls up and cruises everywhere. DT2, aka one waking, occasionally slept through baby can barely roll, can't pull to stand, can't crawl .. they're one in 2 weeks. No, less, not tomorrow but next Thursday- 1 week!!!! Remedial DT2 is sigh and ALL he wants to do is walk holding hands, and like a fool I do it. A lot. Ouch.

I am absolutely gutted to be going back to work on the 10th. Gutted. Plus i work the two days there are activities I really enjoy taking the dc too. Typical. It fits with dh's work though, so not a good idea to change them. Tell me I should be bloody grateful I'm only working two days though one colleague, a lot more experienced than me tried it over two days and went back to three shorter days as she said it was impossible to actually do the job like that . It'll be fine. Right?! Despite the boys still bf in the day, not taking a bottle, not drinking much from sippy cups....

How's the pooing elphaba? How old is ds now? Because I've heard at 16 months things will improve. <grasps at straws and accepts two mums 16 month improvement as Gospel>

Oh, and the sleep. groans. All bunged up. DT2 ill, temp 39.9 yesterday, all waking loads.

<drags self back out>

ElphabaTheGreenAndBlacks Wed 27-Mar-13 19:06:08

Spiffing. Only six months to go then hmm DS is 10 months. Taking a leisurely pace developmentally like his dad who also, by the way, was a non-sleeper. Only his parents shut the door on him and left him to cry it out when he was four or five months old sad They're lovely people and DH is obviously none the worse for it, but still. My FIL (DH's dad) was also an awful non-sleeper, but his mother rode the mo fo out. I'm too frightened to ask her when he finally sorted himself out. confused

DS is also bottle-refusing, still BFs during the day at weekends and doesn't take much from a sippy cup. I work full-time and he hasn't perished from starvation/dehydration so yours will definitely be fine for two days! smile

Poo is solid finally and he's been back at nursery all week, so naturally he's coughing like an old consumptive and expelling great rivers of snot with every frequent sneeze. I'm not kidding when I say he's had more days ill than well since he started nursery five months ago. He had better have a constitution like Fort Knox at the end of it all, or I'm asking for a hefty reimbursement of fees. Hefty.

Ah, elph, not as leisurely as my DT2. He won't be crawling by his birthday! I was a non sleeper too. I was up 2-3 times a night, every night, until the week I went to school. Real school, not pre school. It's nature, I unfortunately am convinced of it... My boys will probably be far more fine about it than I will. And they are ill, constantly. Absolutely constantly, from playgroups I presume as they don't go to nursery. They won't be either, too expensive for three dc, as my DD is only 2.5 now so we have a lovely nanny who'll have them.

I'm totally excited about the 16 months = sleep thing, only 4 to go for me <rolls eyes>

HearMyRoar Wed 27-Mar-13 21:50:18

Oh, I'm noticing a trend! I was also a non-sleeper until starting school and speaking to my brother the other day I found out that his dd had almost exactly the same sleep habits as my dd. So, I am with you in firmly believing it is nature rather then nurture a lot of the time.

It does mean though that I have basically resigned myself to not getting a full nights sleep until she is 5. Oh dear!

HearMyRoar Wed 27-Mar-13 21:55:03

..and forgot to say. My dd hasn't had milk during the day for the 3 days I'm at work for months now as I am too lazy and feckless to be bothered expressing. She's fine, just feeds loads when I am about. You will be fine the DC will be fine. In fact think of work as a wonderful break, like a weekend off from the DC grin

ElphabaTheGreenAndBlacks Thu 28-Mar-13 19:00:53

See, you all are just getting karma from making your mothers suffer. I was a great sleeper from early on apparently, yet now I'm suffering from DH's genetic fallout. T'isn't fair. Not in the slightest. Maybe I should start giving him a good pinch every time DS wakes up, just in the interests of balancing the fates.

LimeFlower Fri 29-Mar-13 23:26:17

May I join you?DS is nearly 10 mo and turned into a wailing monster.I don't count anymore how many times he's been up during the night.Every time he goes to bed he kicks off big time,bright eyes and bushy tail as soon as DH is out of the door shouting at me from the cot.
Happy Eazzzzzzzter everybody.

HearMyRoar Sat 30-Mar-13 07:03:52

Welcome lime!

Sounds like you may have hit the wonders of 9 month sleeps regression, you lucky thing you grin

Has your dd always been a tricky sleeper or is this new for you? I sometimes think it is worse when your DC has been sleeping well for a while and then it suddenly goes horrible.

ElphabaTheGreenAndBlacks Sat 30-Mar-13 10:29:30

Hello, Lime!

Pull up a brew

This thread is not accepting new messages.