Coach transfer with 15 month old

(10 Posts)
Optimism Tue 18-Feb-14 22:22:38

Am I being too PFB in hating the idea of taking my 15 month old on an hour and a half coach transfer from airport to resort without a seat?

I really can't imagine him sitting on my/DH's lap for that long without some sort of meltdown as we try to stop him escaping and, worse than that, I can't help thinking 'what if there's an accident?' I wouldn't dream of taking him in a car in this country without strapping him into the appropriate car seat but it seems that this is considered perfectly acceptable in a coach on motorways and steep, potentially snowy/icy roads to a ski resort.

The company we've booked with seemed to imply that I am the first person who has ever suggested this might be an issue which I can't believe. Am I really the only person who would rather pay the extra to hire a car in order to feel my child is travelling safely? Or am I being ridiculous?

Olivermoliver Wed 19-Feb-14 07:30:20

Hi, up until last year when my son was 5 we always took his car seat to put in the coach and have also paid extra for a taxi on a short transfer on a summer holiday to avoid the situation. Have had some funny looks but ignored them grin

Artandco Thu 20-Feb-14 19:36:48

We always book either a private transfer ( with car seat) or hire a car ( with car seat)

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 21-Feb-14 21:24:16

You're not being ridiculous.

On our foreign holidays we either take our own car seats (for minibus that comes with villa or hire cars) or make sure that appropriate seats will be used on transfer coaches and minibuses.

magicberry Wed 26-Feb-14 20:43:33

no, you're sensible - we always book a private transfer with car seats.

MistyB Sat 01-Mar-14 10:40:39

Car seats travels free on easyjet so just bring one with you, I know it's an extra piece of luggage when you already have loads but...

I wouldn't be happy with that either- we've just avoided coaches etc com

gah!! Completely. I thought I was being over protective too but I think it's only right to do what you would do at home and you'd never drive for an hour with an unrestrained baby at home so I wouldn't on holiday either

Optimism Mon 03-Mar-14 22:10:44

Thanks very much for the replies. It's good to know I'm not the only one. We're not allowed to take a car seat with us but we have now hired a car and a car seat to drive ourselves from the airport to resort which I feel much happier about. Now I just need to think about how to keep the little man entertained on the flight...!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 03-Mar-14 22:49:36

Glad you've got something sorted OP.

Who are you flying with? We have never not been able to take a car seat with us (we have had to pay for it with some airlines). We'll try to avoid this one if we know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now