OMG dds passports have expired! Help please someone what shall we do

(79 Posts)
yogabird Fri 07-Feb-14 19:10:42

Going away next sat. Spent a fortune terrified now we can't go

Ledkr Fri 07-Feb-14 19:13:08

This happened to us last year, we missed a week of our holiday.
You need to ring your nearest passport office and ask for a same day appointment. They issue a new one on the day but you have to go there and it costs a bit.

yogabird Fri 07-Feb-14 19:13:49

This is all going so badly dh on phone to passport office now and it's sounding grim
Feel like crying

Only1scoop Fri 07-Feb-14 19:13:55

You can still go and do it in a day. I recently had a day out in Peterborough as my friend was In same boat.... You go initially and then I think we had to go back 3 hours later....it was fine, not as much waiting as we thought. Find where your nearest office is and call them.

Good luck.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 07-Feb-14 19:15:08

Yep. Peterborough or Liverpool are the two places I know of where you can get a same day appt. I'm sure there are others.

yogabird Fri 07-Feb-14 19:15:25

They are saying you can't do it for kids only adults for the premium service

HauntedNoddyCar Fri 07-Feb-14 19:18:59

Where are you going? If it's EU then I would speak to the airline. There is a slim chance they may accept recently expired passports. Some airlines used to but I think it stopped. Wouldn't hurt to double check.

yogabird Fri 07-Feb-14 19:19:27

No appointments tomorrow anywhere but Belfast. Kids can't have the Four hour service to renew. Feeling sick now

Then get on a flight to Belfast. Surely a damn sight cheaper than loosing your money

yogabird Fri 07-Feb-14 19:20:45

Haunted noddy car it's Austria. it's going to be seven days and we go on Saturday. And it'll be to late.

yogabird Fri 07-Feb-14 19:21:25

Looking at flights now for Belfast.

yogabird Fri 07-Feb-14 19:21:49

This can't be happening GOD!

vulgarwretch Fri 07-Feb-14 19:23:25

I have always got same-day renewals for my kids, but it does look from the website as if they've stopped doing them. You can still get a fast-track appointment though which gets the passport back to you within a week. I would try that. It's really quite likely that it will be quicker than the guaranteed time. Can you get there on Monday?

clam Fri 07-Feb-14 19:25:26

What a nightmare. Agree that going over to Belfast is a better option than ditching the whole holiday.
Good luck with it all. I'm sure it can be sorted out.
Meanwhile wine

yogabird Fri 07-Feb-14 19:25:39

No appt til Tuesday at passport office in England or Wales

yogabird Fri 07-Feb-14 19:26:33

Do I have to go in person? Have a friend in ireland

clam Fri 07-Feb-14 19:26:45

Well, can't you do that then? Tuesday?

butterflyroom Fri 07-Feb-14 19:27:00

What about Durham?

clam Fri 07-Feb-14 19:27:13

Would the kids have to go along too?

lilyloo Fri 07-Feb-14 19:27:53

Hope you can get to Belfast , hopefully they can turn it round in a week for you sad

Fly into Belfast City airport. It's much closer.

JeanSeberg Fri 07-Feb-14 19:28:48

Get the passport photos tonight and get them countersigned, then forms filled out tomorrow and get the post office to check them.

Then book the appointment for Tuesday wherever it is.

You're panicking, naturally, but you can do this!

stoopstofolly Fri 07-Feb-14 19:29:09

This happened to us. Call up on Monday and they make an a appointment for you. You have to turn up with all the paperwork completed, photos etc, old passports etc. They do it the same day if you get a morning appointment or early afternoon, or you have to go back the next day if it's a late afternoon appointment (they need 2 hours to put them together.)

Only1scoop Fri 07-Feb-14 19:30:19

Yes you would have to go in person.

JeanSeberg Fri 07-Feb-14 19:30:21

The passport advice line is open tomorrow so book the appointment then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now