Realistic ski expectations for a nearly 7 year old?

(39 Posts)
theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 03-Mar-13 17:23:10

DS has had lessons on the dry slopes so we headed off to the Cairngorms this weekend.

First time for me skiing in Scotland. In the morning he complained of being cold - fair enough the wind chill factor was horrific, so we stopped after 20mins had some lunch and I went down the funicular with him to buy a snood.

In the afternoon he was nice and warm and DH had found some easy runs that we could all do. Technically DS is fine, he has only learnt snow plough but can stop well and navigate himself down a green slope with ease. He seemed to enjoy himself when whizzing down the slopes.

Thing was he seemed to get bored after about 1hr 45 mins. I said we could go for a hot drink and then back out, but then he had a tantrum and manufactured a wee fall to stop him having to do anymore.

Slightly gutted as it cost £150 for the three of us to hire the gear and get the lift pass for the day. We didn't bother with it today as it just seemed like so much money when he gets fed up so quickly.

We are thinking of visiting our friends next year who live near ski slopes in France, as there is an apartment we can rent near by. My thoughts are that we stick DS in ski school for half a day each day as otherwise we won't get much of a chance to ski. Is it realistic to think he could ski for a bit in the afternoon as well?

I know the weather would be nicer abroad, and there are more places to stop and have a drink and something to eat, but I'm just not sure what would be the norm at that age - obviously he will be a year older - so assume it would be a bit easier?

GraduallyGoingInsane Sun 03-Mar-13 18:28:50

My DDs did ski school from 5 - we'd taken then out and done basic bits with them before then. Even my shy DD took to ski school like a duck to water - they seem to make friends really quickly there and enjoy the camaraderie of skiing with their peers. You might be surprised at how much he likes ski school - and then of course they want to ski with you after to show you what they've learnt! Double bonus!

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 03-Mar-13 18:31:45

We have tried geocaching, biking and he goes for swimming lessons. It's just I love skiing and now DH has had his dry slope lessons and his taste of snow so does he.
Prettybird I think that's good advice - go for the morning ski school and then do what he wants in the afternoon, if I get a good couple of hours in each day I'll be happy.

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 03-Mar-13 18:34:35

Good to know that your shy DD enjoyed ski school Gradually - hoping DS will be the same.

Waswondering Sun 03-Mar-13 22:12:40

If the light wasn't good for you, I feel for you. It was hard to see when we were there.

But the best runs for beginners are at the top, eg the Cas. Ds did manage the whole run from the Ptarmigan to the car park, though he found it "challenging" in parts. That whole run is a green run.

The nest morning, ouch for me but not the kids.

Hope you've a good to to France when it comes.

deste Sun 03-Mar-13 23:05:54

Can I ask what the conditions were like, are the pistes covered or is the snow melting? Were planning on going up for a couple of days this week or next. We have all the gear to keep warm.

Waswondering Mon 04-Mar-13 07:44:47

Good desire ... If you become friends with Cairngorm Mountain on fb you'll get a daily report to update you.

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 04-Mar-13 07:51:22

The snow was excellent des te

SanityClause Mon 04-Mar-13 07:59:48

My DC have gone skiing for at least one week each year, since my youngest was 3yo.

They have always gone into ski school in (usually) the morning, and then we would have more of a ski after lunch. Ski school will often have a small break with a snack for the littlest ones.

When they were smaller, I would take the little ones to the nursery slopes, while DH would take whoever wanted for a longer ski. More recently, we have all been able to ski together in the afternoons, which is lovely.

When DS was only 3, we went at half term, then again at Easter. The difference in his ability and desire to ski in that short time was amazing. He went from hardly attending the ski school, to being properly involved. You might find your DS is much more interested, next time.

Piffpaffpoff Mon 04-Mar-13 08:13:34

deste I was at Glenshee last week and I have not seen cover as good for many, many years. All pistes full width and no rocks or heather showing through. And I was lucky enough to be there on a blue sky day with not a cloud in the sky, it was brilliant.

Lift queues were tricky though, I mean sometimes there were, ooh, two or three people in front of me. Although most of the time I was just skiing right onto the lift, no waiting. gringrin

Wallace Mon 04-Mar-13 18:49:07

You missed the good weather by a day - Friday was scorching!

A good easy run is the Ciste Fairway up the top of the funicular, as long as you are ok with T-bars. Top to bottom is a lovely run, but over 2 miles long I think. You can get an afternoon pass which is cheaper, and it is staying light later now smile

The snow is lovely, but apparently was a bit firm today as it froze overnight. The forecast isn't looking so great for the end of this week sad

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 04-Mar-13 20:57:59

Glad you got a good days skiing Wallace.

deste Mon 04-Mar-13 21:54:29

Sounds good, we are going next Monday Tuesday to Cairngorm.

Piffpaffpoff Mon 04-Mar-13 22:31:12

Fab, hope you get good weather. We're up to Aviemore for the Easter week so I'm hoping that the top bowl at least will still have enough snow for a bit of afternoon skiing. Last year I skied there in May!!

Wallace Wed 06-Mar-13 20:16:42

Due more snow the end of this week smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now