Details passed on to company even though I did not win competition.

(22 Posts)
WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Thu 05-Jun-14 12:19:10

Hi HQ

A few of us are recieving spam money off offers via email following the Facebook competition for the Cornwall trip with Valley Cottages.

So despite your policy
"All competitions on the Mumsnet Facebook page are hosted on Wufoo. The data collected is only accessible by Mumsnet and we never share this data with third parties without your permission." It seems someone has.

There are others complaining of the same thing on Facebook under the competition thread.

GreenShadow Thu 05-Jun-14 16:55:13

Me too.

The email isn't even from Valley Cottages but from another holiday rental company which doesn't appear to have any connection to it.

Please can you let us know how this happened and give us some assurance that it won't happen again.

Thanks.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Thu 05-Jun-14 19:06:47

Mine is definately from the valley. Hope that does not mean i am going to get more from else too.

GreenShadow Thu 05-Jun-14 22:09:13

Ahh, yes apologies WiganEditor. I'm getting muddled.

The email was from The Valley but if you click on the link that someone provided on the FB post it takes you to this competition page and the link on that page takes you to what appears to be a totally different set of properties - something called "Forest Holidays".

Which still doesn't answer the question as to how The Valley got our email addresses.

CocktailQueen Thu 05-Jun-14 22:13:20

Yes, I got am email from them too, offering money off a holiday.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 06-Jun-14 11:15:39

Hi there. Thanks for this - we'll have a look into what happened and come back to you ASAP. (The people who're in charge of FB comps are off today so it might not be until after the weekend but we promise to come back.)

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 06-Jun-14 11:40:57

Hi there,

Wigan, would you mind PMing me with the email address that you used to enter the comp please?

Thank you

GreenShadow Fri 06-Jun-14 14:56:47

Thank you Rowan and Rebecca.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Fri 06-Jun-14 15:06:45

Done thanks Rebecca and Rowan.

JuanFernandezTitTyrant Fri 06-Jun-14 15:10:20

This also happened to me. And it's not the first time either - the same thing happened with that competition over Christmas with the jewellery company. Profound apologies last time, that's fine, human error and all, but it's quite vexing that its happened again.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Fri 06-Jun-14 15:17:49

Just to add email says

THE VALLEY Cornwall
Mumsnet Competition Runners Up
We're sorry you didn't win ourshort break prizethat featured recently on the Mumsnet Facebook page, but we would still love you to come andenjoy a relaxing breakat The Valley withthe family.Tosay 'thank you' for allowing us to get in touch with youwe would like to offer you an exclusive discount of up to£300offa week's staybetween now and 5th January2015when you book before 18th July2014.
Call us now on 01872 862194 to claim your exclusive runners up discount and book your break at The Valley from only £400 aweek for a family of 4. Click the link below to explore our family friendly accommodation and exclusive facilities.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Fri 06-Jun-14 15:18:54

It then goes on to say you are recieving this due to the recent competition on Mumsnet.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Fri 06-Jun-14 15:20:03

Sorry for spacing in above. I copied and pasted.

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 06-Jun-14 16:25:30

JuanFernandezTitTyrant

This also happened to me. And it's not the first time either - the same thing happened with that competition over Christmas with the jewellery company. Profound apologies last time, that's fine, human error and all, but it's quite vexing that its happened again.

Yup absolutely - we're honestly a bit befuddled about this one because on first check we seem to have sent on only the correct contact details (ie those who had consented) to the client. But we need to double-check this early next week and then contact the client to get to the bottom of what's happened here. If it is our error again then we'll have a root-and-branch review of how our systems are working.

JuanFernandezTitTyrant Sat 07-Jun-14 08:26:29

Thanks Rowan.

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 12-Jun-14 18:06:53

Hullo everyone,

Apologies for the delay on this, we've been back and forth with the client trying to figure out how this happened.

When the comp finished, we had an Excel sheet of all entrants from whihc we filtered out those who hadn't agreed to for their details to be passed on. We then sent the 'have agreed' list on to the company.

In this case though, when the company ran this filtered spreadsheet through their contact management system (MailChimp), it resulted in the full data set being extracted from the Excel sheet - ie, the entire list, including everyone who hadn't agreed.

Obviously this is a rather large hole in our systems, and we're really sorry it happened. We've been managing the data sets like this for months and this is the first time this has happened, so we hadn't realised previously that it was a possibility. The spreadsheet that we sent on appeared to only have the details of those who had consented in it, but the details of everyone else was still available (although hidden) within the spreadsheet.

From now on we're going to copy the filtered 'have agreed' list into an entirely clean spreadsheet. The Valley have kindly tested this new system in MailChimp, and it appears to have resolved the issue.

Many many apologies for the mistake in this instance. We've been in touch with The Valley about the error, and they have very helpfully unsubscribed those who didn't agree to have their details - so you shouldn't receive any more emails unless you agreed to it.

We take your data security really seriously and we hope you'll forgive us for this cock-up unforeseen event.

GreenShadow Thu 12-Jun-14 20:31:25

Thanks for investigating this Kate and explaining exactly where the problem was.
I know it's not a major problem in the grand scheme of things, but I think it was just the principle which bothered us.
Nice to know that things should be more robust in the future.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Fri 13-Jun-14 03:58:21

Thanks Kate, do you know what data they actually got? i.e name, address, phone number etc?
Cannot remember what I entered.

GreenShadow Fri 13-Jun-14 08:15:33

I'm fairly sure it would have only been MN name and email address. That's all most competitions ask for.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Fri 13-Jun-14 09:32:10

Thanks Green.

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 13-Jun-14 09:44:43

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor

Thanks Kate, do you know what data they actually got? i.e name, address, phone number etc?
Cannot remember what I entered.

It was only your email address, which has now been removed from their database. We don't give out any other information about you.

WiganandSalfordLocalEditor Sat 14-Jun-14 16:36:25

Brilliant,thanks Kate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now