Login screen now defaults to "keep me logged in".

(54 Posts)
MardyBra Sun 26-May-13 10:54:24

I log in every time I use MN, mainly to stop my computer savvy kids logging in and finding out my user name.

The login screen now seems to have defaulted to having the "keep me logged in" box permanently checked. Given that anyone who wants to stay permanently logged in will have already checked that box and won't be visiting that page, can it go back to being unchecked iyswim.

Otherwise one day I'll forget to uncheck it, I'll be outed by a curious teenager, and there'll be no more Mardy. grin

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 04-Jun-13 17:03:45

Hi Mardy,
Previously when the box was unchecked, because lots of folks don't check it, every time we updated the site, which is a few times a week, those users had to log in again. Experience showed us that multiple users find this annoying - there were lots of threads complaining about having to log in repeatedly.

A default "keep me logged in" is pretty standard practice and there is a log out button at the top of every page.

Obviously it's a pain to log out/untick the box when you log in, but it does seem to effect many fewer people than the irritation of logging in. (That said, I do see the point that even though fewer folks are affected, the need to log out might be more pressing than the need to log in).

So that's our dilemma and how we got to where we are but will talk to the tech team and see whether there's any alternative solution we can come up with that could work better for all.

Chanatan Tue 04-Jun-13 17:11:41

Surely a safety aspect factor outweighs an annoyace factor,there was another thread deleted recently posters have stated the op,s partner/husband found the thread.Having this box checked make this more likely to happen.

Lomaamina Tue 04-Jun-13 20:48:40

I appreciate you've had complaints by people annoyed by having to be logged in. Perhaps we need a concerted campaign of complaints about the safety issue to counterbalance them wink.

Seriously, it's easy to forget to logout, say if you're distracted for a second.

MardyBra Tue 04-Jun-13 20:52:14

Thanks for looking at this Justine. I didn't realise there was an issue for some people when the site is updated.

But presumably if the users had ticked the box to "keep me logged in" the first time, then they wouldn't have been logged out when the site is updated. So the argument that they only have to check the box once would still stand.

Or have I got it wrong?

DiscoDonkey Tue 04-Jun-13 22:05:49

I disagree that a default "keep me logged in" is standard practice. I must admit I do hate logging in every time but prefer the hassle of that over the worry that I might forget to log out.

Maryz Tue 04-Jun-13 22:23:37

it's easy to forget to logout, say if you're distracted for a second

- or if you are closing a window in a hurry because someone has just walked in.

For me, it would be embarrassment, and ds would be angry. A couple of years ago, he might well have stuck a knife in me.

And for someone looking for help to escape an abusive partner, imagine the danger involved. She logs in, he comes home, tries to grab her phone. Normally she could expect only to have to close the app, turn off the phone. He might know she was on mumsnet, but with the permanent log-in he knows her name and her entire posting history, as well as having access to her pm's.

Even Facebook doesn't have the "keep me logged in" box ticked. In fact, off the top of my head I can't think of a site that does.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 06-Jun-13 18:59:47

Hello all,
We have a tech solution to this issue. With bit of banging in the shed the tech team can make it so we 'remember' when someone unticks the keep me logged in on their PC so the next time they go to the login screen on that PC it will remain unticked. Will implement asap. Thanks for the feedback.

alcibiades Thu 06-Jun-13 20:18:17

Thank you, Justine. And thanks to the tech team.

Maryz Thu 06-Jun-13 20:22:29

Thanks Justine. I saw Helen's update on t'other thread.

That's great.

Chanatan Thu 06-Jun-13 20:28:31

Many thanks much appreciated.

Tee2072 Thu 06-Jun-13 21:07:23

Glad it's been resolved, but just FYI to answer Mardy's last question, when the site is updated, it logs people out even if they have checked the 'keep me logged in' box. That's what the complaints (I was one of the complainers) were about when they were doing a zillion updates a few weeks ago.

In fact, I am still regularly logged out of the mobile site even though I don't want to be, I just stopped complaining about it. Oh wait... grin

MardyBra Sun 09-Jun-13 11:02:01

Thanks flowers

Chanatan Tue 18-Jun-13 21:45:03

Has this been actioned yet because the box is still ticked for me,even if I unticked it the time before.

MardyBra Tue 18-Jun-13 22:53:07

Yep, me too.

Tech (MNHQ) Wed 19-Jun-13 01:59:22

Hi, This (remembering if you uncheck the box) should be there in the next day or two.

MardyBra Wed 19-Jun-13 08:25:32

Thanks Tech.

<puts on patient face> smile

BlackCatinChaos Wed 26-Jun-13 10:37:34

How do I log out?? confused I don't want to be permanantly logged in.

BlackCatinChaos Wed 26-Jun-13 10:45:48

Just worked it out!

I've been away for a while wink

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Jun-13 14:27:40

MardyBra

Thanks Tech.

<puts on patient face> smile

Should be today or tomorrow, we think.

Thanks for your patient face smile

Tech (MNHQ) Thu 27-Jun-13 23:47:37

Or maybe Friday. Sorry for the delay...

This has been interesting, I'm one of those who stay logged in on about 5 devices 24/7 and find it irritating to have to log back on to them all following the rare occasions when I have logged on at work. Another example of MN opening my eyes to a totally different point of view.

Talkinpeace Sat 29-Jun-13 21:36:13

I dislike it too : my kids know my name but I'd rather them not seeing my latest threads ...

Takver Tue 02-Jul-13 19:58:02

Just bumping gently on this one smile

Chanatan Tue 09-Jul-13 20:10:50

Any news on this?

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 10-Jul-13 16:08:37

Hello. This has been done now.

Sorry for the long wait and thank you for your patience smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now