Spoofs, Jokes and Trolls

(1000 Posts)
Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 16:47:00

Right.

I want a serious debate about this.

I started a joke thread, in my own name as usual, about a neighbour stealing a spoon.

It was questioned as "trolling" and I got told off by Rebecca at MNHQ.

Are spoofs and/or jokes no longer allowed?

Since when?

And why?

What do people think about spoofs, jokes and trolls and the difference theereof?

Maryz Wed 27-Mar-13 17:30:37

And some reported threads are just left.

That conduct disorder one. Is she a goady twat or an ignorant fuckwit? Either way, she should get an email warning her that the type of shite she is spouting is just plain wrong angry

Tee2072 Wed 27-Mar-13 17:31:06

And why should it be cooled? Is it a new Talk Guideline? "If there are too many troll threads, don't you dare start a fun one!!"

FFS

seeker Wed 27-Mar-13 17:31:10

Would I be derailing this thread if I asked about deletions? If you're "personally attacked" on a thread, and if you've said on the thread that you're happy for the posts to remain, do you have any say in whether the posts are deleted or not? I was on a thread recently where some people said some very silly things, and they were deleted. Which made them look a bigger deal than they were, and also unbalanced the thread a bit. Feel free to ignore this post if it is derailing- but it just seems to be part of the whole trigger happy culture.

The sad thing is that the spoon thing could easily have been genuine. No sillier than many other recent threads!

Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 17:32:00

Genuine up until Roger and co, anyway...

magi - it also wouldn't work with name changes.
I've been here a while, but because I suffered a namechange a couple of weeks ago, I would register as new.

besides which, why should we have to justify what we post, if we are only winding-up or joking, having fun?
I think it's totally different from trolling.

now i'm bored because I can't think of any use for funny threads anymore. sad

BOEUF Wed 27-Mar-13 17:34:56

I think that MNHQ, although I'm sure they're as tired and pissed off as the rest of us, do need to look after the culture of the site we all love. And I think that means not letting the joysuckers succeed in turning this place as tedious as every other parenting site.

UnChartered Wed 27-Mar-13 17:35:01

have to agree totally with this, there are some foul threads that are being left to stand, that one immediately springs to mind Maryz

i like the funny/spoof threads, but the resistance in deleting the goady fucker threads sort of gives the impression that it's open season to be a right dick everywhere on MN

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Mar-13 17:38:55

Tee2072

Troll threads hanging about and fun threads being targeted.

Also, I reported a thread this morning that wasn't replied to for hours.

How long between Hully's thread being reported and her being "warned"?

Why did she need to be warned if she's actually done nothing wrong? Broken no TGs?

Well, I'm not sure we'd agree with that.

We don't leave troll threads hanging around: the moment we spot them, they're gone.

We might however leave up a thread that some folks think is a troll thread, if we've no reason to think that it's a troll thread. Benefit of the doubt has always been our stance.

And we're not 'targeting' fun threads. God forbid!

Hullygully Wed 27-Mar-13 17:39:28

And the goady invaders aren't going to go away, they are going to increase...tis the joy of a large successful site. If you get us lot to stop joking about and having fun, you'll have nothing but them, and the site will implode.

Boeuf is bang on about guarding the culture.

It's like meeting up in a cafe and sharing coffee and cake with your mates. It's sometimes serious and bad things happen in life, but it's sometimes just a right laff, and that's why the jokey threads shouldn't be complained about.

MNHQ, could you just reply to those going "really?! nothing better to do with your time then?"

sorry, that last sentence looks wrong:

MNHQ, could you just reply to those who report them, going, "really?! nothing better to do with your time then?"

KatieMiddleton Wed 27-Mar-13 17:41:57

Pffffft. Thin end of the wedge isn't it?

Can I suggest that instead of pandering to the slightly wet MNHQ send them a link to a general chat thread in the new topic I'm a fwuffy hun, yes I am. Contain 'em if they can't safely mooch the boards without reaching for the smelling salts.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Mar-13 17:42:02

seeker

Would I be derailing this thread if I asked about deletions? If you're "personally attacked" on a thread, and if you've said on the thread that you're happy for the posts to remain, do you have any say in whether the posts are deleted or not? I was on a thread recently where some people said some very silly things, and they were deleted. Which made them look a bigger deal than they were, and also unbalanced the thread a bit. Feel free to ignore this post if it is derailing- but it just seems to be part of the whole trigger happy culture.

The sad thing is that the spoon thing could easily have been genuine. No sillier than many other recent threads!

No, seeker. A personal attack breaks the guidelines and, if reported, will be deleted.

That said, if a personal attack is reported, we would always look at the post in context and the thread as a whole - just to make sure no one is selectively reporting in order to get one person deleted and not others.

Tee2072 Wed 27-Mar-13 17:42:36

"And we're not 'targeting' fun threads. God forbid!"

Then why send Hully a warning at all? Why not just ignore the report or reply with 'it's not a troll'.

I got a reply like that just the other day from Rowan. I don't agree with her, I think the thread is weird and trolly and in the wrong place, but it's not up to me, it's up to HQ.

So why didn't HQ tell the reporter to fuck off what Rowan told me?

Pagwatch Wed 27-Mar-13 17:42:43

Yy - I think mnhq have to decide that there is a tone to the site, they don't have to be beyond reproach and bland. And I think persistent reporters who are clearly sanctemonious nit pickers should have their attention drawn to many other sites which might better suit them.
Being all things to all people is not a virtue. It's actually a hiding to nothing.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Mar-13 17:44:16

KatieMiddleton

Pffffft. Thin end of the wedge isn't it?

Can I suggest that instead of pandering to the slightly wet MNHQ send them a link to a general chat thread in the new topic I'm a fwuffy hun, yes I am. Contain 'em if they can't safely mooch the boards without reaching for the smelling salts.

You calling us slightly wet, KatieMiddleton? <squares up>

Lyondoon Wed 27-Mar-13 17:44:17

Posters do realize they're starting to sound like Mouldies?

Sites changing, all these new posters are ruining it, I remember when all this was fields, all very familiar.

KatieMiddleton Wed 27-Mar-13 17:44:47

There should be a comma after 'wet'

CandyCrushed Wed 27-Mar-13 17:46:07

I think a lot of the jokey threads are funny but sometimes they are a bit confused and tedious.

There are too many of them at the moment.

Some genuine threads are so bizarre that I can get confused about whether a thread is a joke or not.

I also think that newer members who don't know all the 'in' jokes and references would have trouble disciphering the MN lingo.

Hully is funny but I can see why the spoon thread (the earlier posts) was a bit borderline from MNHQs point of view.

UnChartered Wed 27-Mar-13 17:46:33

i slightly disagree with that Helen, about reporting and personal attacks

recently i had an 'altercation' with a MNer, and we sorted it out on thread - no harm done.

Until some nosey twat decided to report us both and with the deletions it is left looking like it was a nasty spat.

Tee2072 Wed 27-Mar-13 17:48:40

There's a difference, Lyondoon between 'the site is changing' and 'the site is being destroyed by the PO, the Goady and the moronic'.

Mouldies was the former. We are talking about the latter. I know, I was a newbie when Mouldies happened. I still shake my head at their inability to accept change.

This isn't good change. Good change is, well good. This is change that could kill the site deader than President Lincoln.

HelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 27-Mar-13 17:48:41

Tee2072

"And we're not 'targeting' fun threads. God forbid!"

Then why send Hully a warning at all? Why not just ignore the report or reply with 'it's not a troll'.

I got a reply like that just the other day from Rowan. I don't agree with her, I think the thread is weird and trolly and in the wrong place, but it's not up to me, it's up to HQ.

So why didn't HQ tell the reporter to fuck off what Rowan told me?

We didn't send her a warning. We asked her (and others), politely, to cool it. That's all. No deletions, no warnings.

And of course we would have told anyone reporting those threads that the OP was not a troll.

Pagwatch Wed 27-Mar-13 17:49:49

I don't think this is a 'Moldies vs newbies' thing at all.
I don't care who I chat with. I just want to be able to chat.

CandyCrushed Wed 27-Mar-13 17:50:47

Is the dog in the pram on the bus thread a joke thread, a spoof or a troll. I am fairly sure it's a joke thread but I don't know for sure confused

Tee2072 Wed 27-Mar-13 17:51:17

Okay. Then why ask them to cool it? What do they need to cool? Having fun?

This thread is not accepting new messages.