Budget 2013: what would you like to see from Osborne on Wednesday?

(124 Posts)
SarahMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 18-Mar-13 11:46:33

This Wednesday, at 12.30pm, chancellor George Osborne will deliver his 2013 budget. With the UK on the brink of a triple-dip recession, and grumblings among backbenchers about the wisdom of his 'austerity first' course, it looks set to be Osborne's most scrutinised budget yet - and it will affect all of us directly, in terms of the tax we pay, the benefits we receive, and how much we'll be spending on our next bottle of wine. Many of the changes to taxes and benefits that will take effect this year (such as the increase in the personal tax allowance and the 1% cap on working-age benefits) were announced in December's mini-budget, but key areas that look set to be affected on Wednesday include pensions and childcare (the Daily Mail is already reporting that the government is set to unveil childcare tax breaks worth up to 1500.

With 48 hours to go before Osborne takes to the despatch box, what would your recommendations for this year's budget be?

* Ought cutting the deficit to remain the priority - or should we be concentrating on generating growth by investing in infrastructure projects, even if it means increasing our borrowing in the short term?

* Have spending cuts been implemented too quickly or should we be cutting harder to get through the pain faster?

* Is the government doing enough to support families, and if not, what more could be done?

* And how have the changes since last year's budget affected your households incomes - are you better or worse off?

We'll be glued to our screens in MNHQ on Wednesday, and will post the key announcements in the budget thread as they happen - please come and watch with us! And Mark Dampier, who guided us through events last year, will post as soon as possible after Osborne sits down with a roundup of the key points. But until then, let's come up with our own suggestions for what George should be concentrating on. Over to you.

I agree Gigonas, how can they preach to us what & how much to drink when they have a subsidised bar paid for by us and the same goes for smoking-too many cigars for them yet us normal people are hounded to quit. They should also be taxed on their second homes and all the bedrooms they don't need. Why should we all pay for them to get drunk, smoke excessively and have 18 bedrooms??

Why should the poor, disabled, soldiers, elderly & families have to pay the price whilst the government sit back on their golden throne with no care in the world of what they are also taking out of the cash pot!!!

morethanpotatoprints Mon 18-Mar-13 14:18:14

A full reversal on benefit cuts.

Cut support to Trident and other useless programmes.

His and Camoron resignation

Tax per room for second home owners.

Investment in social house builds

SilverSnake Mon 18-Mar-13 14:25:06

Only one bedroom council house for MPs second homes

Only travel expenses paid for MPs

Bedroom tax the Royal family

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 18-Mar-13 15:39:08

As others have already said, an apology would be nice.

TrampyPants Mon 18-Mar-13 15:42:41

his resignation.

I'll help with that placard too.

mardarse Mon 18-Mar-13 16:28:37

Yep, his resignation first and foremost. Or failing that - some common sense. It's probably too much to ask that he might consider us great unwashed rather than his banker mates.

zzzexhaustedzzz Mon 18-Mar-13 16:36:53

It would be quite nice if he raised the minimum wage to the living wage, we need to hear and think much more about that. Also if he encouraged employers (somehow) to employ more people for 16 plus hours. The last thing would get a lot of people off JSA, so many are working measly few hours and willing to do more but employers would rather have 2 people doing one part time job than pay stamp/taxes.
Ah but who listens to fairness and sense in THIS PISS-TAKE OF A GOVERNMENT!!

BoffinMum Mon 18-Mar-13 17:20:43

Tax breaks for people taking steps to maximise their health and fitness, especially if they have disabilities or chronic health issues that make this harder than usual.

Double VAT on refined sugar, fags and all booze except beer and wine.

Abolish road tax for people in parts of the country where there's practically no public transport, and double it for people in London.

I could go on.

Talkinpeace Mon 18-Mar-13 17:22:36

a) Introduce a land tax on all plots with planning permission.
b) Abolish non domiciled status
c) Raise the P11d limit to the same as the 40% tax band (linked)
d) Abolish class 2 NI
e) Treat all properties owned by companies as businesses, subject to business rates (yes, I mean YOUR house Bob Geldof)
f) Change the overseas group taxation rules to abolish 'offshoring' of profits.
g)Abolish IR35
h) Extend council tax up to band W so that those with large houses pay.
i) Increase the "rent a room" allowance to £8000 a year to encourage people to take in lodgers.
j) Abolish ALL council tax discounts on properties above band F : students, ill people, you name it. Tough. See rent a room point above.

Viviennemary Mon 18-Mar-13 17:25:12

End subsidies to the Royal family. But that is never going to happen.

Toasttoppers Mon 18-Mar-13 17:46:07

I think there are big changes ahead for council tax reductions on second homes
being abolished, local authorities will decide how much a reduction if anyything people get.

Hope there is no MP loophole.

Article below

www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2248641/Second-home-owners-soon-hammered-council-tax-rises.html

ThePskettiIncident Mon 18-Mar-13 17:59:08

Agree with lots of these, especially tax points raised by talkinpeace.

Also re nationalising rail and utilities for that matter.

I'd like to add free recycling for businesses and charges for landfill waste. It's a crime that it's currently the reverse.

JourneyThroughLife Mon 18-Mar-13 18:08:22

Cutting the deficit should still remain the priority. Personally, I'd like to see VAT reduced again, and a reduction in the tax on petrol as these would benefit me. However, that's selfish, and it won't happen because these two taxes bring in money for the government, which they badly need at the moment.
I would prefer tax rises to go on things like wine and cigarettes because these aren't necessities and people can choose whether to smoke or drink; also their over-use causes health problems and the high taxing of these goods should go to paying for those health problems.

Talkinpeace Mon 18-Mar-13 18:09:07

Toasttoppers
the changes in council tax were in the budget a year ago - they take effect at the end of this month.

I admit to being rather worried by the lack of thinking through in some of the points up thread.
And I'll not pick a fight, just ask each of you to play devil's advocate with your own ideas and spot the problems.

Kazooblue Mon 18-Mar-13 18:26:34

Something for stay at home mums<hollow laugh> or maybe the chancellor to realise that letting dual income families on £100k keep their CB whilst those on one income of £50-60k lose it is mighty unfair.Particularly when they already have two tax allowances oh and are getting a shed load of cash to help with childcare on top.

Sooooo families on £100k £150k(like a family on £150k actually need help with childcare bills)are going to be sitting pretty whilst those on a lot less ie 50- 60k are going to be screwed.

It's so unfair it's laughable.

Would be nice if somebody somewhere valued mums staying at home with their children and you know tried to enable more to be able to.

Yes thought not so off to peruse the UKIP site(no other options) <slumps head on keyboard>.

Talkinpeace Mon 18-Mar-13 18:29:36

Kazoo
the trouble with your gripe is that the number of families affected by the change is so small (under 200,000)
compared with the millions and millions of households on less than the median income of £26,000 a year ....

Kazooblue Mon 18-Mar-13 18:32:51

It is unfair and for families on 50-60 k makes a big difference.

It is morally wrong-just how can you let families on 100k keep it and give them a shed load more whilst taking it away from those a lot poorer?

Kazooblue Mon 18-Mar-13 18:37:25

And if there are so few give it back before you give those on £150k help with childcare.angry

Talkinpeace Mon 18-Mar-13 18:38:35

kazoo
I totally agree that it is unfair - my oldest friend and his wife (he's a househusband) have been hit.
BUT
in the big scheme of things, improving tax breaks to the top 30% of households (those hit by it) is political suicide when legal aid is being taken away from divorce cases, sure start centres are closing and primary schools are leaking.

Kazooblue Mon 18-Mar-13 18:41:33

Improving tax breaks for the top 30%?

Kazooblue Mon 18-Mar-13 18:44:06

I just want my CB back,utterly fed up with the Tories screwing the squeezed middle,will ignore the budget (and anything else they say) until polling day when I put a big fat cross against any party other than the Tories.

Babyroobs Mon 18-Mar-13 18:49:23

I would like to see lots of investment in social housing. It would boost the construction industry and hopefully ease the dire housing situation in some parts of the country . Hopefully it would reduce reliance on housing benefit and save money in the longer term.

Mirage Mon 18-Mar-13 18:49:32

Drop fuel duty.I'm self employed and need to drive from job to job,plus live and work in a rural area.It is getting to the point that I have to consider whether to keep running my business or let it fold.

Look again at the issue of 2 earners on £100,000 keeping CB,whilst 1 earner on £60k loses it,grossly unfair.

The bedroom tax is very unfair too,just where are the smaller homes for people to move too?

Owllady Mon 18-Mar-13 18:51:01

stealth wallpaper tax

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now